Answered Another Speaker Recommendation thread (UK)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by anirudhkitt, Jul 8, 2019.

1. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello folks,

First of all thanks to everyone who posts here as i have gone though at-least a few months worth of threads in the last 2 weeks.
    Despite that, though its best to post here for advise.

Amplifier: 1 month old Yamaha AS-501
    Stands: Mission Stance
    Room Size: 16ft by 12ft opening into an open kitchen
    Flooring: Carpet and lots of soft furniture
    Speakers tried at home:
    1. Dali Spektor 2 (still have them)
      • +ves
        • Great soundstage
        • Vocals are clear
        • Clear balanced sound
        • Not fussy about placement
      • -ves
        • Bass is weak for my room size and for movies
        • Midrange could be more full sounding
        • Minor - doesn't sound great at low volumes
    2. Elac B6.2 (Returning them)
      • +ves
        • Really shine will good recordings
        • Balanced and very laid-back sound (Reminds me of Sennheiser HD598)
        • Bass is good and not lacking
      • -ves
        • Top end and treble not as clear(not as defined??) as Dalis.
        • Vocals not as clear as Dalis
        • Very fussy with regards to placement (sound completely changes)

I really wanted to keep the Elacs & I suspect that the Elac's would actually be the better speakers in a studio environment, but with my material (spotify, youtube etc) and placement - the Dalis seem like a better choice.

Primary asks
    1. Spacious Soundstage is very important. My reference for a great soundstage was the Yamaha EPH-100SL earphones.
    2. Balanced Sound (but not lacking in bass). Spektor 2 sound signature but with fuller sound and better bass
    3. Good at low listening volume
    4. Type of listening: 60 percent Music(all Genres), 40 percent Movies

What should i do?
    Get a subwoofer?
    Any other speakers (floorstanders are fine) to consider - Budget is around 600 pounds
    Have been reading Bluewizards comments on Zensor 5s/7s - wonder if they would work well for me. Or maybe the oberon 5s? Although the Oberon 5s look to be almost twice the price of the Zensor 5s..

Regards,

2. Best Answer:
    Post #17 by anirudhkitt, Jul 10, 2019 (1 points)
  3. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Have you run the Elacs long enough to break them in?

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Exactly what I would expect as regards bass and lower midrange performance of the two speakers.

If you're after an accurate sound (and not everyone is) then, IME, the Dali's are too small for your room whilst the Elac's are about the right size. Just about any speaker with a single 5" bass/mid driver will probably be too small and likely sound a bit bass-shy so when considering alternative speakers, focus on speakers similar in size to the Elac Debut 6.2 to achieve an accurate tonal balance in your room. Caveat: I'm generalizing, there may be exceptions.

If you prefer a warmer, bass-ier sound, maybe stretch to speakers with either twin 5" units in each cabinet (like some slimline floor-standers) or possibly one 8" unit per cabinet (if the speaker has well controlled bass and the cabinet isn't too large).

For movies with silly-bass soundtracks then I suspect any speaker pair with a 6.5" bass/mid driver in each cabinet is not going to cut it. You could opt for large main speakers, but this will likely result in a bass-heavy sound with music.

Perhaps this is where a subwoofer comes in? I've no experience of these but for a £600 overall speaker budget you could afford a well respected BK Electronics P12-300SB (about £350 on ebay for a 'B' grade item direct from the manufacturer - strangely, purchasers usually say they're in perfect condition). The remaining £250 - 300 (depending on how far you decide to stretch the budget) should buy a decent quality 6.5" stand-mount speaker pair. Maybe look at Dali's slightly larger offering, the Zensor 3?

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,999
    If a wide soundstage is wanted then KEF's UniQ design is pretty good, sustained when off axis as well. There are a few pair of R300s still available and the Yamaha can push out enough power to get them going. Great mids and highs, cymbals and high hats sound brilliant. Deep bass for a standmount, deeper than some floorstanders on the market, very fast and agile.

KEF R300 Bookshelf Speakers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    The Kefs gibbsy mentions are in a different class to the Elacs and Dalis.

A grands worth of top class, 3 way speaker.

The Yamaha shouldn’t have any problems driving them, but they might sound even better with a meatier amp.

Having said that, speakers are the single most important part of a hifi, so I’d get the best you can afford.

And it just so happens... brand new with a five year guarantee... :thumbsup:

£599.

KEF R300 Bookshelf Speakers

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    Ps, forget what I said about the 501. :facepalm:

I was thinking of the 301...

The lowest the Kefs hit is 3.8 Ohms and the 501 is more than happy with less than that so all go for the Kefs I’d say :smashin:

8. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think so, Approximately 40 hours or so....

9. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    @gibbsy hit the nail bang on!!

for anything under 1K, the r300's should be on the shortlist. great imaging and sound stage, crisp highs and a dedicated woofer in the 3 way config for the lows

They were a bargain at their 1k rrp price imo so at nearly half that, a no brainer.

10. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you for the detailed response. You have articulated it well, with your examples of driver size. With your examples of twin 5" units, i think maybe even the Zensor 5/Oberon 5 may be good options. I do like a bassier sound, but not at the expense of detail.

I will try and see if there are any places still offering the Zensor 3/Zensor 5

Also

11. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you, will give them a go. I am assuming that in your opinion it would work better than the floorstanding options from Elac & Dali?

12. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am assuming that the KEF R300 is a better option than even getting the floorstanders from DALI - Oberon5 or the Q Acoustics...

Looks like we have an overwhelming response. I will go check it out tomorrow at Premium sounds.

13. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    The R300 is a £1000 stand mount.

In any given contest it would be considered a run away favourite amongst those you have mentioned.

Whilst in theory a floor stander should give more bass, sometimes it’s not as well controlled as the equivalent stand mount.

And the Kefs are anything but equivalent to the Oberons or Qs.

14. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,999
    The KEFs are in a different league. Only the amazing price reduction brings them into contention now at £599. I paid £1000 several years ago. Certainly one of the best standmounts ever produced in that price range.

15. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello folks,

An update here. I went and dropped off the Elac B6s at Premium Sounds today. Very friendly chap Erik, who is also the owner. They have a good demo environment and no pressure. Recommended.

I demo'ed a few speakers there - Dali Optikon 2, KEF Q150s, Dali Oberon 5s and (B6, Spektor2 for reference) The speaker i liked the best in order where the
    1. Dali Opticon 2 (not enough for the price)
    2. Dali Spektor 2
    3. KEF Q150s
    So here is the plan, I will be ordering the KEF R300 tonight and after a lot of reading, i have become really curious about B&W 606, mainly because so far What HiFi reviews have been on point for me (i know not to completely go by reviews :) )

But just in case, i will be demo'ing the B&W 606 and KEF Q350 at sevenoaksandvision Holborn store tomorrow to make sure i don't completely hate them.

End Game: I will order the KEF R300, B&W 606 and compare them (plus the Spektor's) over 2 weeks and keep the one i like the most. Wish me luck good sirs !

Regards,

16. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    The Q and R range are different beasts imo. B&W are not to my taste but some people love them so i am glad your actually auditioning as people preference are different. one thing i will say is that if your used to dali's your ears may be more accustomed to their sound. make sure you spend a lot of time listening to different genres to get a real feel fopr the speakers.

whathifi imo are nonsense and i generally do not believe a word they say. very biased but hey, thats just my opinion :)

17. ostewart

ostewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the 606's so I'll be curious as to what you think of them :)

I've ended up changing my room layout and had to place them closer to the rear wall than I wanted, so I've used the port bungs and I'm pretty happy with how controlled they sound. Yes a sub might help get those real sub frequencies, but I've never found them lacking so far for music/tv and film use.

I'm using a Keces E40 amplifier with them.

18. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Best Answer
    Well not sure i am qualified, I have had some expensive headphones but i do not have a good reference for what "Audiophile Grade" speakers should sound like, apart from hearing them at homes of my friends and colleagues

I can at-least say i am having a lot of fun auditioning these different speakers (during the very little spare time i have) and hopefully i can give something back to the forum community.

So, I went to Sevenoaks sound and vision (Holborn store) and had a chance to compare the KEF Q350 and the B&W 606s.

Source: Tidal (Fleetwood Mac Dreams, Ellie Goulding lights, dreamer sako isoyan)
    Amplifier/DAC/Streamer : All Arcams (not sure about the models)

Q350 Impression
    The soundstage, just wow. If i closed my eyes, i had a hard time telling which be able to tell where the speakers were placed. Eureka moment for me :)
    Now about the rest of the sound - Overall seemed very detailed, balanced and musical to me, but thought that the B&Ws somehow were even more detailed. I have heard other folks describe the Q350 as bright and not warm sounding but to my ears they were perfect, so its possible that i prefer this sound signature.

B&W 606s
    Very detailed speakers, i could tell different instruments apart very easily, very good soundstage but not as good as the KEFs. TBH if i had not heard the Q350s a moment ago, i would have said yes to them. Weird thing was that it sounded a bit harsh - i have no clue how to describe the sound (although more realistic) during the drum and cymbal heavy part of "Dreams". Reminded me of the Grado sound. Something about the overall sound signature (forward sounding? or maybe the reserved bass) was not to my liking, but seeing the detail they offer - i am sure lots of folks will love them, just wasn't for me.

Basically Q350s fit the bill for 399 pounds (20% off Q KEF models), but i've already ordered the R300s, and i am hoping the soundstage stays the same. I have to thank @dogfonos @gibbsy @Paul7777x @dollag for pushing me to the KEF UniQ lineup, because they are really fit the bill in terms of the soundstage as well as the sound signature.

I am just trying to temper my excitement for the R300s, because i know my source (TV, spotify, Yamaha AS501, stands) is not as refined, plus my dodgy room acoustics - but i can't wait :)

I will keep everyone posted.

19. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Rooms are very difficult and is why i personally rely on room correction for my speakers. You don't get that issue with headphones and like you, i spend a lot of my time listening to my cans rather than my speakers.

The sound stage on the r's is better than on the q's. also, their bass and mid-range pull out more detail than the q's due to their 3 way config. They are just more refined sounding over the q's.

You use spotify but how do you get it to your amp?? do you have any of your own music? digital, cd's etc? there are cheap ways to get music streamed to your amp in bitperfect rather than going through tv's etc

20. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well i use my TV. Thinking of getting a streamer like the Yamaha WXAD but the problem is my amplifier?, which i am very happy with has only 1 optical input.

Do you have any suggstions for what type of devices I should look at. I mean i have thought about a Dedicated DAC + Streamer, but felt that were too many "boxes"

21. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    The WXAD doesn’t have an optical out.

But it does have a very fine dac and a great rep’.

So if you can bear an extra (tiny) box I’d say it’s a top class bargain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  22. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    The wxad is pretty much all you need. Most likely has the same dac as your amp so just a single set of rca leads from the wxad to your amp and your golden. Leave the tv connected in the optical and have the streamer on one of the other inputs.

It’s a tiny box and you can hide it anywhere.

I mean there are some great dacs and streamers but the budget starts to increase

23. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Two words - Thank you.

Attached Files:

24. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I take it your happy with them? They look stunning

25. anirudhkitt

anirudhkitt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, i will post impressions later on, but yes - am extremely happy with the few hours of listening i have done. The Yamahas seem to be pairing so well with them.

Only a little sad that i have to return the amazing little Dalis. Even after i am blown over by the KEFs, i still maintain - the Dali's punch massively above their weight :). Trying to convince myself that i need them for the bedroom.

26. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Of course you need them for your bedroom lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  27. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,999
    They look good and I'm glad you're pleased with them. Always a worry when you recommend a personal favourite. Put the Dalis in your bedroom. It's only money.;)

28. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    Delighted you’re happy with the Kefs.

And they look superb sat on the satin finish Mission stands.:thumbsup:

Of course it makes perfect sense for the Dalis to migrate to the bedroom... cash? Pshaw sir... who needs it...

29. b1g1an

b1g1an

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    My black 300s are standing on the exact same stands, was a little sceptical about ordering them due to the top plate being so much smaller than the speaker but they hold them them perfectly, probably a lot to do with the weight :)

They get some misleading reviews but the finish is gorgeous and the narrowed front of the bottom plate is a top idea when you want to toe them in in a confined space. So much better than the spindly version they replaced them with and a bargain at £60.

Enjoy, I know I do :)

30. stumck219

stumck219
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Out of curiosity how close to the rear wall do you have them ?