Another speaker question from Debs!

D

Debs67

Hi!
My Diamond 9CM center speaker manual,says I should set it to large,the auto set up on my Yamaha RXV-650,also sets it as large...but when I follow this (and I might add the center sounds more full on large) my subwoofer either does not switch on,or is on but doesn't seem to be working.But when I switch the center to small,the sub works again.My sub is Yamaha YST-SW215.
I know the obvious answer is keep it on small,but I need to know why!? :confused:
My word I'm tweaked out! :eek:
Thanks,
Debs :)

If the speaker is set to large, the amp will send the low frequencies to it, and let the speaker produce the bass. If you set it to small, the amp sends the low frequency bass to the sub, and that produces the sub bass for you. Does your sub have a frequency control knob on it?

IIRC, when you set the speakers to large, you should set the sub woofer crossover so that it only produces the frequency range below that of your speakers - if both the speaker and sub try to reproduce the same low frequencies at the same time, the bass can become wooly and muddled. At least, that's what happened in my room. :)

Even if your speakers can produce low bass, some say that you should set them to small anyway, and let the sub do all the bass duties below 80hz. That way the amp isn't trying to work so hard producing the sub bass in your speakers, so has more head-room for the remaining frequencies above 80hz, as it isn't being stretched so much.

My stereo speakers in my cinema room are capable of 38hz, but I still set them to small. I did experiement with this a few years ago and I found things seemed better that way rather than having them set to large and only allowing the sub to do the frequencies below 38hz.

Gary.

Hi Debs

You can also set LFE/BASS OUT to both as with my Yammy DSP AX 750SE this should take the centre speaker out of the equation I think :confused: that's how I got mine set and no probs with the sub. Hope this helps

scooter3

Thanks guys! :smashin:
I know it's pretty simple when you explain "it"! But just as soon as I think I've understood "it"...I read something that contradicts "it"!!
I'll try the sub to both and see what happens Scooter!
And yes Gary my sub does have a frequency knob,I have set it at full as suggested by most people!
Thanks for the help!
Debs :D

If you set your speakers to large, you may have to adjust the subs frequency cut-off to around the same frequency that your speakers cut off at - so if your main speakers only go down to 38hz, then you should set the subs crossover point to around 38hz too.

Allowing both the speakers and the sub to produce the same frequencies may cause the bass to sound wooly and muddled, so some experimentation may be required. :)

Gary.

Thanks Gary!
Like you said I'll have to experiment!
I just hope I can stop tweaking after all this!! It sort of becomes a habit!!! :devil:
Debs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom