Another Speaker Position Query

marathonic

Established Member
Reaction score
Sitting Room.png

The above is the current layout of my living room. As you can see, it's got the usual fireplace-related problems when laying out surround sound speakers.

Speaker 3 was recently in line with speaker 4 but I find it slightly better now that it's moved forward given the angle my head is facing when watching TV.

I'm now replacing the sofa and want to buy one with my AV upgrade later this year in mind. I bought a cheap setup a couple of years ago because I saw no justification is spending £1,500 on something that my layout wasn't going to use to its full potential.

Given the purchase of a new sofa is going ahead anyway, what would you do and why?

Last edited:
My current seating position varies between B and C. I live alone but want the layout to be as flexible as possible.

I'd considered putting a new TV on the right, beside the fireplace with the front speakers to either side but, unless I put them at an angle, the only seating position to get the effect would be a bit to the right of position C - as the rears would need to be placed immediately to the left and right of position C.

It looks like the only two viable options are to:

1. Put the TV to the right (looking at the photo) of the fireplace (will accept a larger TV than the left) and angle it out. Then place the two rears on stands - one at the back corner and one at the middle of the lower window;
  2. Mount the TV above the fireplace, which opens up the whole problem related to TV height and heat from the fire - but allows for the ultimate positioning from a sound perspective.

I would look at getting some bipole/dipole speakers for you surrounds and then mounting them on the rear wall. Should give a move diffused sound given your limited space.
The front speakers would still be very close together even on the right side of the fire.

Thanks for the response. I'd been looking at a Dali Zensor 5 package but, based on your comments about bipole/dipole (which I didn't know what mean :)), I've done some research and came to the conclusion that perhaps Monitor Audio Bronze 2 5.1 would be better (http://exceptional-av.co.uk/monitor-audio-bronze-2-av-package-5-1.html).

Given the fact that I have a Yamaha RX-V473, which is probably too little amp for those speakers, and the package including the Yamaha RX-A1050 is only £180 extra, it seems that I would be absolutely mad not to upgrade from a low-end 2012 receiver to a mid-range 2015 version whilst I'm at it.

Where would the rears be best with this package - I'm assuming immediately to the right of the main door and the second an equal distance from the right wall (I've read that they should be at least 0.5 metres from the wall)?

I would look at tv above the fireplace, for optimum audio effect.

Or, as you're replacing your sofa, why not put the tv on the wall opposite the fireplace? The room looks big enough to have two nice two seaters, parallel to each other, one where CD is now, and one near to the windows.

Your rear speaker position sounds about right.

I would look at tv above the fireplace, for optimum audio effect.

Or, as you're replacing your sofa, why not put the tv on the wall opposite the fireplace? The room looks big enough to have two nice two seaters, parallel to each other, one where CD is now, and one near to the windows.

The option of above the fireplace is something I looked at. If I was going that way, I'd go for a 65" TV as opposed to 55". However, I'm concerned about both heat and height.

I never really considered the two parallel sofa option but have a feeling that I'd face issues with positioning of the rears if I were to go that route.

It's a tough one and every time I look at the upgrade of the 5.1 system, I back out of spending the money required due to the fact that I know I'm not going to get the best out of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom