1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another speaker placement question.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by powaq, Sep 4, 2005.

1. powaq

powaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm new around here. I'm about to install my first basic home theater sound system in my bedroom (i'm a 19 yo student still living at home) which isn't all that big and I have a question regarding the placement of speakers. I have a couch in my room that is against the wall so I don't really have any means of placing speakers behind me. I made a quick diagram of my room layout keeping in mind the recommendations I found on the Dolby website. I've attached the diagram to this post, keep in mind that the proportions aren't 100% correct but close enough.

My question being: is this layout any good ? I have absolutely no means of putting my furtniture in other ways, I've cracked my head about the possibilities but this is sadly the only efficient placement.

When I sit in the couch the center of my ears is about 25cm from the wall (about 10 inches). The surround speakers can be mounted at ear level and at 90° to 110°. The seat is a 2-person seat and I always sit on the left while watching something. My right ear is 90cm away from the right wall at that point (around 36 inches) and my left ear around 145cm. The front speakers are pointed towards me with their frontsides.

The front speakers and SUB are of course underneath the desk and on the left side in a special opening (I custom designed the furniture to fit my speakers and a/v equipment. The front speakers stand on the ground.

Second question: as I have a 7 channel amp (Sony STR-DB795) could it be possible to add 2 more back speakers right behind me ? Or would that be futile at such small distances ?

thanks in advance for any comments

Attached Files:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The placement looks fine to me and I assume that the surround speakers are facing your seating position rather than firing forward.

I can't speak for 7.1 as my sitting position is also against the rear wall so I haven't bothered with the extra speakers preferring to stick with a good 5.1 system instead.

3. powaq

powaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the surround speakers fire directly at my ears. My main concern is that the speakers would be too close to my ears at such small distances. Should I be concerned about that ?