Another speaker cable advice thread!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ruth11, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

Here's our set up - Yamaha DSP-AX750SE amp, with Canton Movie CD1 speakers.

Am considering adding the 2 canton floor standers to the set up as we've just moved house and the living room is now bigger.

Current speaker cable is QED Silver Micro to all 4 surrounds and the centre speaker, but as I say, the room is now bigger and so need more cable. Was just going to order some more QED stuff off a guy on Ebay selling it at £2/m, but thought I'd read a bit about it all and it sounds like we should be using better quality cable to the fronts/centre - is that right? We are by no means audiophiles, but having got ourselves a decent Amp and speakers, we don't want to downgrade the lot by using rubbish cable!

The thinner and more flexible the cable, the better really as it will be run under carpet and around fire surrounds and all sorts like that.

I read on here about the Van Damme cable at 49p a metre - at this price we could happily re-wire the entire system for about the same or even less than buying just the extra QED!

What do people think? I know it's all subjective, but just some general rules and people's thoughts on good all-round thin cable would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ruth

2. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, I've been reading a bit more!

Size-wise, I think I'm looking at the 1.5mm Van Damme cable or Speakerflex 150 versus my current QED Silver Micro cable.

The maximum length this cable would be used for is 17 metres. Would we be ok with this? Should we buy the 4mm stuff for the fronts, or wait until we have the floor standers before getting this? Or would we be ok with the 1.5mm all round (In which case, I might just get 50m of it right now!)?

Is the QED Silver really 4x better than the Van Damme? (I gotta say that aesthetically the QED wins hands down cos it's white, but even though I'm a girl, I'm not going to spend 4x as much just for the colour - I'm pretty sure my other half can hide it well enough!) ;)

Thanks

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    17m length that is quite a length to drive ? I would be looking at 2.5-4mm2 for that length TBH.

And no QED SA is not 4x better (its not even 1x times better - IMHO).

4. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks CJROSS.

As it turns out, my other half just did some digging around and we've gone for some PROPOWER cable - went for the 2.5mm in the end (322/0.1mm strands), planning on using the 4mm version for the floorstanders when we get them.

Hope this stuff's ok - anyone had any experience of it?
    It sells on Ebay for more than we just paid for it from Farnell's - cost us about £26 for 50 meters, free postage!

Cheers
    Ruth

5. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone know anything about PROPOWER speaker cable?
    :lease:

Thanks

6. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, so nobody knows anything about Propower.
    Not to worry - can someone just answer a technical question for me?

It's about those pesky strands! Is it better to have a high number of thin strands in a cable, or a smaller number of thicker strands?

As far as I can see, the main difference between the Propower stuff and the QED is the strand amount and thickness, so I was just wondering....

Thanks

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You worry unduly. Both types have pro's and cons. The Propower will have an advantage of being more flexible and perhaps lower resistance over long runs as each individual strands resistance will be at least halfed due to the conduction of the adjacent strand, in theory and practice it will be more than halfed as a single strand will touch many another strand.

On the downside tho' thinner strands create higher resistance so it's horses for courses.
    If you believe in skin effect then this cable would be better in theory.

I can go on and on but that wouldn't help. Many cables are stranded to aid flexibility. Worry less and use :) As long as it's the correct type of cable for the job I doubt arguments about strands will make big differences.

You could go and buy some single stranded 2.5mm twin and earth mains cable and see if you notice any difference.

8. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Per-Sony-Fied

In case anyone's interested, I'll post the results of the ProPower stuff versus QED Silver Micro as I will be able to a direct comparison when it's all been re-wired!
    :smashin:

Cheers
    Ruth

9. MapsonNo

MapsonNo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you post a comparison / your thoughts?

We're moving to a new house and the ProPower Cable (2.5 mm) is quite reasonable at £60 (including vat & delivery) for 100 metres.

10. ruth11

ruth11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Unfortunately I can't as the 25m reel of the stuff is still sitting there untouched! We haven't changed our mind, we just haven't got around to re-wiring it all yet.
    Sorry.

11. MapsonNo

MapsonNo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ruth11.

With the long runs (some ~14 metres) I've narrowed it down to the ProPower 2x4mm CSA @ £88 for 100 metres including VAT and delivery.

12. Prowse

Prowse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Have you got any results yet on the Pro Power cable? :)

13. ben.bayliss

ben.bayliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    3 years on you'd hope so! :eek: