• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Another SonyRDR HXD 890 for sale

Gavtech

Administrator
Why is it obsolete? Thanks

Only in the sense that it ceased production a year or two back.

It remains as one of the best ever available of this class of machine.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Only in the sense that it ceased production a year or two back.

It remains as one of the best ever available of this class of machine.

As an owner I fully agree. I have also read many a time on here that these Sony badged Pioneer devices are still rated as the best. Hence as I am an avid explorer of the bargain outlet websites I trust that posting any blue chip retail outlet for this range of HDD DVDR's is acceptable on this sub-forum.

Gavtech

Administrator
As an owner I fully agree. I have also read many a time on here that these Sony badged Pioneer devices are still rated as the best. Hence as I am an avid explorer of the bargain outlet websites I trust that posting any blue chip retail outlet for this range of HDD DVDR's is acceptable on this sub-forum.

I can't see any problem... unless you were getting a kickback of course ;)

[ For the record, I have one of these too. I rate it very good - but not the best.]

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I can't see any problem... unless you were getting a kickback of course ;)

[ For the record, I have one of these too. I rate it very good - but not the best.]

No kickback I can assure you except that if you can catch stuff as it has just been posted on these sites you can get some incredible bargains (possibly mistakes on the part of the retailer but as blue chip retailers they honour the deal!)

However I would be interested to hear what you now rate better than these Pioneer/Sony HXD RDR range other than for inclusion of freesat/DVBT-2 tuners and HD recording? (Panasonics I presume...?)

hamiltone

Established Member
My 890 was a pile of junk.

Kept locking up and the HDD died.

Seen these cheaper in Comet ex-demo.

This one is sold or ended by the way, so a pointless post.

LionelS

Standard Member
This is a GREAT HDD/DVD recorder. I use it around the clock non stop for about a year and a half now. Great picture great editing function and easy to use once you are familiar with it.

Only negative with this is this model when recording to dvd or dubbing from HDD to dvd and finalised and you insert the dvd in this player or any player the menu will not come up you have to press the menu button before the menu comes up. Only happens with dvds recorded with this model. Previous models brought up the menu when you inserted the disc. Not sure if models after this fixed the problem.

Other thing is cannot play a NTSC dvd if you are recording to HDD in PAL (tv system here is PAL) at the same time.

Other than that excellent product. I am waiting for them to bring out a hdd/blue ray recorder version of thi. I have been waiting for about fourteen months now.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
My 890 was a pile of junk.

Kept locking up and the HDD died.

Seen these cheaper in Comet ex-demo.

This one is sold or ended by the way, so a pointless post.

Not pointless - its sold now but wasnt when I posted and was still for sale late yesterday:rolleyes:

Most on here think this range is great and there have been many threads on here recently recommending that people seek out this range of now dscontinued HDD DVDR's.

I think you were unlucky with your 890.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom