Another Sony NS900V thread!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andy-p, Feb 9, 2002.

1. andy-p

andy-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally secured a deal I was happy with on this player today. To my surprise it was with my local Sony centre! Yes, they matched the price of a couple of internet companies at £399.99, and it came multi-region (though not RCE compatible). I was very surprised that an official Sony dealer could offer this player in multi-region, but even more surprised to learn that the multi-region mod was a 2 second ‘blast’ from a special programmable hand-set (I guess the RCE enabled players do actually require physically re-chipping).

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the player, and touch wood, no RGB switching problems or dark RBG output either.

I do have one question for fellow NS900 owners though, and it is with regard to multi-channel SACD output. Now this may be a stupid question, so forgive me, but as usual the Sony manual is not very user friendly. Currently I have the player connected via RGB Scart to the TV and digital co-axial to my Sony 940 AV amp (therefore bypassing the players own 5.1 decoder), and I do not get any SACD multi-channel sound. Do I have to connect to the amp also with 5.1 channel phono leads for this?

Thanks for everybody for advice and experience on this player in the past.

Andy P.

PS. I must congratulate www.avland.co.uk for replying to a price-beat e-mail request on this player within about 5 minutes, at about 11:45pm on a Friday evening!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, you have to use the 5.1 discrete channel output on the ns900 for sacd multi - it's not transmitted via digital output.
    also, u have to change sacd output from stereo to multichannel via the on screen menu.

p.s. also suprised re sony centre deal. well done !

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What TV do you use Andy?
    I'm interested that you don't have the dark RGB output - I was getting the impression that was "standard" from other postings! I think most other people have Sony TVs, so I wondering if the dark output is a Sony/Sony thing...
    I take it that when you change from S Video or Composite to RGB using the menus there's no change in shade in the menu itself? When I change mine to RGB the menu looks like someone's just slipped a piece of black glass in fromt of the TV! My TV is a Sony KVA32FX60 which is great with everything else (a Samsung DVD player on RGB and a SOny digibox on RGB) so I'm at a loss as to why this happens (the the technical explanation come to that).

Glad yours is good!

SImon

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robert-cyrus, I have my ns900 connected via 6 phonos for m/c and two phonos for stereo could you please tell me, what do you change in the onscreen menu, I dont use the digital out so it is always off. thanks.

5. andy-p

andy-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon

My TV is a 4 year old Sony KV-29F1U 4:3 set. I did however check the player in the Sony Centre before I purchased it, both via RGB Scart and S-Video to a Sony 32” widescreen set. I didn’t observe any problems at all. When I asked about the two issues with this player I was told by the salesman that they did not know or have any experience of either, they had sold many of them to date and had not received any back with problems. Believe this or not I guess.

I have yet to play with an S-video link to determine whether the RGB Scart is noticeably darker, it does look fine to me as it is though. Will post when I have checked it.

To all

Regarding the SACD connections again, I would prefer to use my AV amp’s decoder for 5.1 output. Should I therefore continue to use the digital co-axial link for this, and install additional phono cables via 5.1 output from the player to the amp for SACD only?

Can anyone recommend suitable reasonably priced 0.5m phono cables (and where to buy them) for this SACD connection? Bearing in mind I will need to buy 6 (3 pairs), and I don’t think I will use the SACD facilities that often.

Sorry, last question (!), should I also install a phono pair from the two-channel audio output of this player for regular CD listening only?

Many thanks.

Andy P.

6. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yap. I am in the same boat. I wanted to use the 5.1 output from my DVP-NS700V because of SACD and 24bits are only available through them. But using quality interconnet is going to be pretty expensive so what I did for the time being is to borrow another pair of Nordost Blue Heaven and use them to connect the 2 front and 2 rear while leaving the center and sub to those free interconnet. I then connect another phono interconnect (Cardas) from the normal output to my AV CD input to compare sound. Not much different. So I reckon I will just stick with 5.1 connection.

btw, if you wanted warmer sound from the player for music playback, go into the custom audio setup menu to change the digital filter setting from fast to slow.

7. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting how Sony seem to deny any problems these days - maybe the Sony Centre you bought yours from genuinely hadn't had any problems, but I would have thought they'd be aware of the service fix bulletin. As one of the frustrated owners on a 900V with the switching problem and the dark output, I can assure you it's a real problem! Andy, you would notice the dark output even without doing a back to back test with S Video, so I assume yours doesn't have the problem. I wonder if it's conceiveable that it's only non-UK spec 900Vs that have the problem? Anyway, with a bit of luck mine gets replaced tomorrow. If this one has a problem I might try and get a refund and buy one from a SOny Centre like you.

Simon