Another Sony misery story

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by simbloke, Jan 28, 2002.

1. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a KV28LS35 from Unbeatable just before christmas which had a pretty bad problem with the picture geometry. The whole of the top left quarter of the screen was squashed down, about 1cm by the edge of the screen. I called Unbeatable about this and they were fairly good about replacing it.

Unfortunately the replacement has other faults. Pincushion distortion depends on the mode but ranges from poor to very bad and the picture is not even horizontally straight. This time Unbeatable don't want to replace the set they want me to contact a Sony service agent and get them to fix it.

The nearest agent they can find is 70-80 miles away (I live in North Wales) and they reckon the call-out charge could be £100! The only other option Unbeatable have given me is to send the set back to them so they can get it fixed, they tell me this could take 6-8 WEEKS. I haven't even owned
    the set that long.

What do you think I can do about this? I seem to be spending all my time on the phone just trying to get someone to do something about it :(

Do you think they should replace it again? Trouble is it might not be 3rd time lucky...

Sim

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do what I did...tell them you want a full refund....if they don't comply take them to small claims (I had problems with Powerhouse). Powerhouse eventually settled out of court, guvung me a full refund and paying court costs. Had they agreed in the first place they would have saved themselves £115!

3. hurricane

hurricane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you paid by credit card, you should be able to get your money back though them. They will try to fog you off, but insist on your money back.

4. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    IF you have paid by credit card and your cc co. is any good then they will help. My cc co. (Capital One) were prepared to take on Sony until they (Sony) backed down and gave me a nice new TV even though I was 18 months out of warranty (long, long story)

Good Luck.

5. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, yes I did pay by credit card. At the moment the second set has gone back and I am waiting for another one. Since they are out of stock I don't know when it will arrive.

If it's not going to arrive next week I shall be asking for my money back. This is complicated by the fact that I bought it in a package with a video and I'll have to persuade them to take that back too :-(

If they won't be persuaded then I'll have to get on to Barclaycard about it. Anyone have experience with them in this sort of situation?

Sim

6. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Unbeatable didn't have one in stock and they have just agreed to me keeping the temp refund they did to my CC and I'm they're collecting the stand on monday.

Interestingly the girl on the phone said that if it had been a Philips then Philips service come to you house and do a swap whilst they fix yours - never heard of that (One of my problems was that the nearest dealer that would come out was 80miles away and the call out charge would have been £100ish).

Anyway, where's that Loewe catalogue...

7. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am surprised there are no Sony engineers near you in Wales as the tubes for Sony t.v's used to be manufactured in Wales. The fault you mentioned for this model is not a common one and I think that you may have received a t.v from a faulty batch. I suggest that you wait until Unbeatable receives their new stock.

8. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, Unbeatable tried to find someone in North Wales and the nearest was more like mid Wales and 100 miles away cross-country and they wouldn't come this far.

There was another in Ellsmere Port that would have come but they reckoned the callout charge would have been about £100 and UB weren't keen on paying that - so that's how I ended up sending the second set back.

There's just no point on me getting a Sony even if it was good on delivery, if anything ever goes wrong I'll be stuck.

9. alasdair.c

alasdair.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently had my sony 28" TV back after repair by a SONY approved repairer. The initial fault was as described earlier with the top left corner of the screen being bent down. I have had the TV back from repair for a couple of months and have now started to notice that there appears to be pin/barrel distortion most evident on 4:3 mode (only because you can see the sides of picture). Since it took weeks to get the initial fault repaired I am reluctant to send it off again if what I really need is a replacement set. I have contacted sony and asked them to comment. Has anyone had an answer from sony on this saying that there was a problem batch of tubes?