Another Sky splitting thread

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by andym127, Mar 13, 2013.

1. andym127

andym127
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Couldn't find a solution on the board to my particular problem, so wondering if any bright spark could shed any light on this one...

New sky+HD box HDMI cable run to an powered HDMI splitter (like a neet one), then short HDMI to 50inch LED TV and a 15m HDMI cable to another small TV in the kitchen. It all sort of works.

1. If I turn one TV on and fire up the Sky box I get the initial Sky+HD please wait logo, then blank screen, doesn't work.

2. Turn both TVs on and fire up Sky box...everything work perfectly. If I turn one of the TVs off and back on no problem.

3. If I turn both TVs off then back on no picture/signal. I then need to power cycle the Sky box with both TVs on for full operation again.

Has anyone got any idea why the it all packs up when I turn both TVs off...or offer any possible solution??

cheers

2. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I could be wrong, but i was told that the 'receiving' device (tv) should be turned on first, before the 'sending' device (Sky box).

Also, i've been told that some hdmi splitters often don't like sending to outputs with differing resolutions? Is this the case with you?

That's just my tuppence, but wait for a more educated user to come along.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    HDMI outputs don't like being interfered with and Sky HDMI outputs especially don't like it.
    There's no knowing how they're going to react in any particular case and your experience confirms that.
    I'd simply give up the idea of having HD on a small extension TV, and use another Sky output for that.

4. rayferry

rayferry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    It sounds like your HDMI splitter is up to the job and getting confused, I would try another splitter if you can.

This is the one I use it works with all four devices and two different resolutions 1080 and 768 all at the same time or in different combinations without any problems.

CHDMI-14C - CYP - HDMI SPLITTER, 1:4 | CPC

It's not cheap but it works.

5. andym127

andym127
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I thought as much, gonna go back to scart for the kitchen I think. As for the splitter I can feel an eBay moment coming on. Thanks for your comments.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    From my experience of HDMI splitters - that are now all in the junk box as they're only worth a pound or two each - that's the best way to go - unless that expensive one is worth it for the small TV.

7. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    I use one of the Cablesson ones which has worked perfectly for just over a year since installed

8. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After reading this thread, i decided to dig mine out to try it as i have 2 x 1080p TV's that i want sky pumping to. Currently i use the RF2 feed from the sky box to the 2nd tv (only 3m away in another room) and the quality is garbage.
    Managed to get the HDMI splitter/amplifier to work....but in a similar way to the OP, intermittent and not worth the trouble.
    Could the fact that i have an AVR connected to each TV setup (see my sig)? Was at a friends house on saturday and he has a HDMI splitter sending his VM box feed to 2 TV's with no problems at all. He then uses a 3rd party IR receiver to allow his VM remote to work in the 2nd room.

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    The thing is that HDMI doesn't like being interfered with, and Sky machines in particular don't like theirs being interfered with, but you never know what will happen until you try it.

10. Member 294867

Member 294867
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's true there are sometimes compatibility issues with HDMI, but you should be able to find a splitter that works. You need to make sure the sky box is set to 720p (most screens are happier with this resolution over 1080i) and not automatic. The reason most people have problems splitting Sky HD is because they are set to auto as default, and the splitter doesn't like this. Another issue is the distance, 15m is quite a long way for a HDMI cable. Most HD splitters will state what the max output distance is. The distance can be a problem for the source and the TV, so it's worth plugging the 15m cable in direct to make sure it's not dropping out. If it still doesn't work after checking these things, it could be a compatibility issue, so try a splitter by a different manufacturer.