1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another sky question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by deezel, Nov 10, 2004.

1. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If I use a splitter ( do they make/ can you buy these from anywhere?) on my sky satellite feed cable before it gets to the digibox will

A) The extra feed created by the splitter which i want to connect to my pc ( sat card) work and the digibox still work for the main TV.

I use the out feed from the digibox to supply another tv in the bedroom.

Thanks

deezel

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A digibox sends signals to the LNB which cause it to alter it's properties and be able to access a combination of channels depending upon the polarity and bands they are broadcast on. If you split the signal then you would have two digiboxes sending a voltage to the LNB at the same time asking for conflicting settings, that is just not practical and could I suppose cause damage to the components.
    You could shut off the LNB power on one of the digiboxes but then it could only access the channels that the other digibox had selected by it's LNB settings.
    As you can see it's not very practical to split a LNB cable:)

The best solution is to get a twin or quad LNB and run another independent cable from the LNB to the second STB/PC card (No PC card will decrypt SKY encrypted channels). Maybe a DTT PC card would be worth considering?

3. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, thanks

what is a DTT PC card and why do you suggest one?

also, I have heard that some pc cards can emulate decryption.

What does that mean?

Edit: Incidently the picture quality of terrestial tv is very poor here. A booster improves it but not to a decnt quality

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A DTT pc card is a Freeview box on a card which fits into a PCI slot, just connect the aerial and you have access to all the Freeview channels with the ability to record and have a PVR type system. This is assuming you live in a DTT coverage and have a decent rooftop/indoor aerial.

Some PC sat cards have the ability to host various CAM's which in conjuction with smartcards allow you access to various free and pay services some by paying a legitimate subscription and others by stealing the programming, there are none that let you pirate SKY's services. Do some google searches and you should find more information on that subject.

Chances are if the analogue reception is poor then so will be the DTT which makes Freeview in anyform a non-starter:(
    Still worth trying the postcode checker over at the Freeview website just on the off chance.

5. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Seems a pretty straight forward DVBs card that can access the FTA digital satellite transmissions from whatever satellite the dish is pointed at.
    You will still need to get another independent feed from the LNB though to make any practical use of it.

7. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK

thanx