1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Sky+ Fault

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by plasmattack, Feb 10, 2003.

1. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievable! Following on from my earlier thread, I received my replacement box last Thursday and all was fine. Come Friday evening the thing wouldn't read my card. Thus no channels at all.
    :mad: In fact, now that I think back, it was doing odd things on Thursday evening.

Something that concerns me is the phenomenal amount of heat generated by these boxes. I'm wondering whether all this surplus energy is what's causing these boxes to fail.

Anyway, only 24 hours of operation is not in the least bit impressive. I'll shortly be on my third box and I only started with Sky+ two months ago. Is this a world record?

Well fricked off!

2. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67155

My box sits ontop of two VCR's and NOT inside any cupboards and I've had a few problems which it's managed to ecover from...

I thinks it's heat.

PC people talk about benefits of a hard disk cooler reducing the disk temp by 6°C to around 34 °C...

If my Sky+ disk was even 54°C I'd be happier, as it must be at least 65°C
    (60°C is about as hot as you can pick up... and I can't pick up the hard disk when I open the case)

If I leave the case open a bit (with top HDD cover not re-fitted after disk change) then I CAN hold it, so it's prob down to 50 - 55C

It's just crap design.
    I'm experimenting with fans right now.

Steve

3. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Steve. I've read a few of the posts in relation to heat, fans and bigger hard disks. I'm running the factory HD, the box is not in a cupboard, the room is probably heated on the cool side and is not humid. I have a few pieces of A/V kit surrounding the Sky+ box but nothing out of the ordinary.

I won't be investing in a fan because, frankly, I shouldn't have to. As far as I am concerned, if heat is a problem (and my box does get surprisingly hot - hotter than my A/V receiver, in fact :eek: ) then Pace should hold their hands up and admit the design fault.

I've also tried unplugging the box for 24 hours and re-trying it, but unfortunately the card reader seems truly shagged - the box still doesn't want to know.

I've posted an e-mail to Pace in the hope that they'll make some helpful suggestions. Not holding my breath, though. :thumbsdow