(Another) Single garage conversion - small space family movie & games room

DradleyBack

Prominent Member
Reaction score
IMG_0014.jpeg

After moving house almost 2 years ago our little spare bedroom movie room was left for the new owners.

Previous house

We didn't want to use a bedroom at the new house as our son is getting older and we would like him downstairs so he can have his friends over.

Our new place doesn't have a second room downstairs as the kitchen and dining room are one room but not big enough for a TV and sofa as well as the table and the lounge is the lounge, but we do have (well had!) a integral double garage.

As the bedrooms are built over the garage the house felt top heavy and as predicted our son was spending more time on his xbox in his room so we decided to create a family xbox / movie room in one half of the garage so we are all down stairs and can all use it.

Due to covid the builder was delayed starting but we are now almost finished so thought I would start a thread as when looking for inspiration I couldn't find many smaller space TV rooms as most garage conversions use the length of the room with a projector but we wanted to go across the room.

The room is not the widest at 2.5m x 5m long and we are hoping for a minimalist look from the AV system that is simple for the whole family to operate while looking and sounding great but still feeling cinematic so we have chosen the following kit:

Sound
Sonos Arc, Sonos play one rears, Sonos sub

Visual/ Screen
LG 65 GX OLED

Players/Games Console
OSMC Vero 4k+
PS5
Xbox Series S
Sky Q

Before we started - we are doing the garage on the right

Gaffer tape marking sofa, wall, plugs and door locations

002.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:
HDMI cable, Cat 6, and Power cables in ready for the good stuff
tempImagevyNTrO.png

first couple of coats of paint, floor down and Tiles starting to go on the TV wall. I can't believe how different it feels.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

85% complete as waiting on new TV unit, blinds and fitted bar unit under the stairs
(Ikea best TV unit bought for £30 from Gumtree to put us on and decorator doing to do final paint and gloss up in July.

View attachment 1525576

IMG_0378.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work. Very stylish. 👏🤩

Lovely room and very similar to the way I’m going to set mine out when I do it in August, what size is your TV as your viewing distance is quite near I’m looking to go for a 77 inch oled from 2.4m that should give me a cinematic feeling.

Thanks @CableGuy, looking forward to seeing your finished conversion.

@maverick177uk our TV is a 65 OLED I was worried it was going to be too big but it’s perfect.

77inch would certainly be cinematic for movies as they generally have the black bars and games would be super immersive.
It could be too big if you plan on watching tv shows and sport as it might be a bit like sitting on the front row at Wimbledon.

4K will look mint but 1080p may not look as well at 77 inch,
I will try and get a photo from my seating position later to give an idea of field of view at 2.4m ish.

That looks stunning! What a transformation. Love the look of the TV wall!

Cracking room, great use of the space.

I will try and get a photo from my seating position later to give an idea of field of view at 2.4m ish.
Watching the footy yesterday I think you will easy get away with 77 inch at 2.4m ish ours is 65 Inch mounted flush with the wall.
I took the photo at my eye levels from about 2.4m
2337F541-485B-4BA5-883D-15B8C59BC454.jpeg

Last edited:
Haha - are they EVER finished?? Lol
I’ve a few upgrades coming, however, here’s the current state:

Wow it really looks amazing, I am not sure why I had it my head you where still part way through your conversion?

Thanks for sharing the video it really helps get a feel for your room you don’t get from photos.

Last edited:
@DradleyBack really nice clean setup. I've converted my garage also. I can see the rovers logo so assuming you must be close to me 👍. Are you from Blackburn too?

@DradleyBack really nice clean setup. I've converted my garage also. I can see the rovers logo so assuming you must be close to me 👍. Are you from Blackburn too?
I actually looked at your room when I was planning mine and borrowed the recessed lights idea from you😁 I didn’t realise you was so close by!

We did live in Blackburn (Fernhurst) but moved a couple of years ago.

Love your room by the way I would have liked to have gone with more of a cinema room and used the length of the room but it had to be multi functional plus my wife just flat refused!
I am really happy with the new setup and the ARC and LG OLED are amazing.

Last edited:
I actually looked at your room when I was planning mine and borrowed the recessed lights idea from you😁 I didn’t realise you where so close by!

We did live in Blackburn (Fernhurst) but moved to Clayton Le Woods near Chorley 2 years ago.

Love your room by the way I would have liked to have gone with more of a cinema room and used the length of the room but it had to be multi functional plus my wife just flat refused!
I am really happy with the new setup and the ARC and LG OLED are amazing.
Happy you've got inspiration from my conversion. The recessed ceiling came in handy for adding ceiling speakers without cutting into main ceiling. Helps maintain clean look and used to trunk the wiring too.

Really nice looking setup. Any pics of the Sonos one’s? Also how are you finding the arc? I’m thinking of Changing the beam to the arc

Hi Umar

the ARC and Play 1s are so great. I used to have a separate amp and speaker set up but was always tinkering with the sound now I just enjoy what’s on the screen and immersed in sound.

Here are some pics of the plays Ones from the cables going in to the almost finished look as decorator coming next week.

ideally my couch would be further forward but I can’t achieve this but am over the moon with the sound after trueplaying via the Sonia app.

EE639089-E15E-4C2F-960B-B39439DD207C.jpeg

2B43C3BA-3DF2-4A69-A0E1-E1EB9375970E.jpeg

BE8B9964-08B2-4745-908C-A2E6A98E7A51.jpeg

EB41EE93-04B0-42FD-9044-BB444B64D779.jpeg

Looking great! I’ve got a pretty good system (see sig) but like you, I’m always playing with it rather than just enjoying it.

Very nice. Love the finish!

Amazing space. Looks great.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom