another setup question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by killer10971, Aug 17, 2006.

1. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i have just got a m&k sub and have got conflicting info on how to set it up and hope someone can point me in the right direction

i thought a starting point was to set the cross over on the amp to 80hz and the sub was to have to cross over set to max and then vary from the amp as a starting point

the salesman told me to set the amp crossover to 80hz and set the sub to 80hz as well , then adjust the cross over on the sub (not the amp) until it sounds right , he said the cross over on the sub was that much better at doing it this way

which is correct

many thanks all

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The salesman is wrong as you can end up with cascading crossovers if you are trying to use both. Switch the sub crossover off or to max and just use the amp's crossover.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    If you use both crossovers they will add their effects to each other.

This will produce a steeper subwoofer roll-off than intended or affect the actual roll-off point.

It is normal to use only the crossover in the receiver (if one is being used). Not in the sub and not both. Or you are likely to end up with the sub rolling off too early. (too low)

The speakers are being rolled off only by the receiver and won't know anything about the sub's steeper roll-off if you use both crossovers. So you are likely to end up with a messy overlap in the subs and speakers. Probably ending up with a hole (or trough) in the combined response of sub and speakers.

Your salesman offers rather odd advice for somebody selling such expensive gear. Handicapping his customer's purchases before they even open the box is hardly professional IMO.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I agree, name and shame.

5. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    My Vellodyne CHT-10 manual states that in some installations it may be beneficial to have a steeper xover slope by using both the xover's in your amp and sub, they suggested 120hz for the sub and 80hz for the amp.

I listen to a lot of music dvd's and have had problems with vocals due to a bit of bass boom, if I turn the sub down the vocals improve but become a bit bright and I lose the lower bass.

I set my sub to 120hz and switched on the internal xover and was surprised how much clearer the sound became. I can only assume my Marantz SR7400 has a narrow filter allowing too much sound above the 80hz xover to go to the sub giving mid bass boom in my setup? I could have set a couple of filters on my BFD to try and cure the problem but turning on the sub filter has done the trick.

I read in another forum that the main problem using two xover's occur if the xover on the sub is set the same or lower then the amp.

The xover on my sub is currently set to about 116hz which I find gives a cleaner sound.

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    My guess is that using both crossovers you are removing most of the harmonic crap coming from the subwoofer. That's why it sounds clearer.

A 120Hz crossover setting to remove subwoofer bass boom equates to less than 5 feet between opposing boundary walls. ;)

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds like my new place. :blush:

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Do you want to talk about it? :)

9. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    many thanks all

contacted the branch and the setup in their demo room they confirmed the following settings

100hz on the receiver 125hz on the sub

chhers

10. Bench

Bench

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what store was this???? Have always been told to put the sub x-over in bypass with av.:smashin:

11. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    getting confused now , sub in bypass or max and use the crossover on the receiver or the sub and receiver using both cross overs

cheers

12. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    right , set the receiver to 100hz (xenon 36 ,manual says 120-140hz) and put the sub in bypass

and it sounded great , but i will keep playing