1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Scaler question?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peterakastorm, Aug 21, 2005.

1. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok... Still haven't figured the scaler thing out yet...

I'm considering a PWD7 and a scaler in a couple of years, when HDTV becomes available in Denmark...

But what scaler should I get!? The Lumagen DVI seems to fit my needs, doesn't it? I just want the PWD7 to show great HD pictures...

All I want from the Scaler is to get the HDTV feed, and send it out in a resolution, so that it looks great on my PWD7... in 50 Hz, or something...?

So is that good enough for me...? And how will it output? Will I for instance be able to input DVI HDTV and then get component out, in 50 hz to watch on my PWD7? And will it then be "futureproof", by that I mean, will it be able to handle all HDTV signals, scale them, and output it on my PWD7 in 50 hz over Component? Or VGA perhaps... or DVI :D Which ones preferable...

Ok, really confusing post, but I AM a bit confused... :S

2. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if I need a "naughty" box anyway, to output HD analog, then the PWD7 would be just as good as the PWD8, wouldn't it?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello peterakastorm

Lots of questions rolled into one/two posts.

PWD7 vs. PWD8 - image quality wise there's nothing much to choose between these two devices.

Connectivity wise they are again very similar.

Signal compatibility wise the PWD8 is the better option as you have support for all of the signals covered by the 'HD Ready' standard - whereas the PWD7 lacks the compatibility you require for Digital signals (with HDCP) at 50Hz.

With the PWD7 an external Video Processor that can undertake Frame Rate Conversion (FRC) on Digital 50Hz Input signals and Output them at 60Hz is one option - another being a Black Box that can Input a 50Hz Digital signal and Output a 50Hz Analogue signal.

If your not considering adding a suitable external Video Processor (+£800.00) or a Black Box converter (£300.00) in the short term then the PWD8 is the obvious choice as its optional HDMI Input board (approx £160.00) is fully compatible with the full range of 'HD Ready' Input signals.

I wouldn't worry overly about what Video Processing is currently available if your not planning on a purchase for 'a couple of years' - I'm positive we'll see some new products from Lumagen and others between now and Aug 07.

Best regards

Joe

4. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much, for your informative post! :)

But can you explain me more about the Blackbox? That would actually be what I need or what? Instead of a scaler perhaps? Then I could use the internal scaler + the Black Box, because the internal scaler is also good, isn't it?

Or do you expect Lumagen of DVDO to come up with a combined scaler and black box?

And yes, I am considering adding one of those... because currently we dont have HDTV in Denmark, and then it would be suitable to add one of those things, when we get that, right? Then the PWD7 would be the initial choice, also because the PWD7 is that much cheaper?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello peterakastorm

Keep in mind an external Video Processor is so much more than just a scaling engine - you can optimise your image via one of these boxes in lots of ways over and above changing the number of pixels you send to your Display.

The PWD7 and PWD8 will both look best if you take any of your Standard Definition Interlaced signals and convert them to 1280x720P at 50Hz and 60Hz via a decent external Video Processor.

With the PWD8 you can integrate any planned HD sources and/or an external Video Processor with a single HDMI Input with no requirement for any 'Black Box' technology; and keep in mind the PWD8 has a two year warranty!

If your keen on the PWD7 there are now a few Black Box's with DVI (with HDCP) inputs and HD15 (RGBHV) VGA Outputs - ideal if your Display is not HDCP compliant and or wont accept 720P and or 1080i on its Digital input.

Like anything else in this crazy world of Digital connectivity I wouldn't' assume every Black Box works in every combination of kit - have a look at what SPATZ is offering.

Lumagen and DVDO are both signed up to the HDCP Licensing agreement from DCP (see http://www.digital-cp.com/home) and as such by default will not provide hardware that 'breaks' the HDCP signal chain - if you Input a signal with HDCP applied to a Lumagen or DVDO product they can and do process the signal but have to reapply the HDCP encryption on the Output of the Video Processor.

Best regards

Joe

6. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Joe...

I've decided on the PWD8, because I found a good price in Germany for it. But now I can't decide between the PHD8 and the PWD8... I don't know what the PHD8 will cost, or if the shop even has it, but I bet it will be a good price...

So do you think the PHD8 is worth the extra bucks spent?