Another S video question-confused

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Apr 6, 2002.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have tried going back to basics and just setup the E20 as a DVD player using nothing more than "S" video connectivity. (No scarts within a quarter of a mile). Just TV to E30. I connected the "S" cable from E30 OUT to Toshiba "S" IN and the three audio video cables white,red and yellow to the Toshiba inputs on it's front pannel. Should this work? As it does not "No picture, No sound"
    confused.:confused: :confused:

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Not sure if this has any affect on it not working, but only red and white are audio cables, the yellow will be a composite video cable.

Mark

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Don't know if i understand you correctly or not but if you have an s video and a composite signal both being fed simualtainiously then you may get a conflict between them.My Sony does not like this at all.Appologies if i have missunderstood.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

For this trial I only used the TV and the E30 and connected the "S" video cable from recorder to TV and the A/V cables from recorder to TV. Following exactly the setup shown in the E30 manual. I get no picture or sound by using their setup instructions.

I have put all the scarts back now and disconnected the "S" video cables. Also I have swapped over a scart from AV1 to AV3 on the Toshiba. I now get "S" video but I am still left with the problem of not being able to watch Sky in colour although it records in colour.

To watch sky in colour I have to change the "S" video setting on the Toshiba AV2 scart back to video. And back again to "S" video when I want to watch the DVD with "S" video quality. It's a pain and I am hurting :confused:

5. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

S-Video is a video only signal.
    In order to enjoy the sound, you must connect the red and white(L/R) to your TV set.Icluding the S-Video ofcourse.
    Then you must set in your dvd player menu that the outputed video signal is S-Video.
    The tv must also set on the A/V channel.

When connecting a dvd player to tv with a scart, the scart mus be fully connected.
    The make some changes in the dvd player menu.Swich to RGB if availble.If not you can switch on S-Video.

Exusse me if i have misunderstood you.

Gr.Ruwan

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just TV to E30. I connected the "S" cable from E30 OUT to Toshiba "S" IN and the three audio video cables white,red and yellow to the Toshiba inputs on it's front pannel. Should this work?

No. You have made two connections, one Video only (S-Video) and one Composite plus Stereo (L&R) but to two different inputs. If you select the front AV input at the TV you should get picture and sound, if you select the S-Video input at the TV you get (hopefully) picture only.

See if there is any Stereo L&R connection associated with the S-Video input and connect the L&R output (white and red RCA/phono) from the E20 here. Else you have to use SCART.

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks to all for the feedback!

Reiner.

I have now connected the "S" cable from DVD to TV and two audio cables L/R to the rear sockets on the TV but have to cycle through th A/V inputs on the TV remote to find the correct one on playback of the E20..

I then re-introduced the scart connections from the vhs and satellite reciever. I think the problem could be that I am trying to marry together both none "S" capable equipment with "S" capable equipment and something just has to give.

It's a compromise setup that works with just a little inconvenience. Thanks again. Malcom

8. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do you find that the composite is much better than the s-video.If not stick with the composite inputs on everything, which would be much easier. Instead of using the TV as the switching unit you could add a low cost box that would allow you to plug everything into it and switch between s and comp inputs from there feeding the TV with only one type of signal at a time. Look at Keene electronics web site www.keene.co.uk.
    Mark

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Composite? The worst there is ... nuff said.