Another Ring Doorbell question.

bluesa1

My gen 2 Ring Doorbell is now working perfectly since I altered it to hardwired via a transformer.

However, I have a problem, if I don't happen to have my phone next to me when someone is at the door, I have no way of knowing that they are there.

I am thinking that I might need one of their 'chimes' to make sure I can hear the bell from anywhere in the house. If I do need a chime, which one should I get and, should it be connected to the transformer the same as the bell or, would it work by Bluetooth or wi-fi.

Many thanks.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
The Chime connects to the doorbell via it's own connection, it does not connect to your Wi-Fi. The latest Chime is the better one but either will be fine. It just plugs into a wall socket.

bluesa1

The Chime connects to the doorbell via it's own connection, it does not connect to your Wi-Fi. The latest Chime is the better one but either will be fine. It just plugs into a wall socket.
Thank you for your kind help with this. Are you saying that all I need to do is buy the latest chime (whichever that is), plug it into a normal 13 amp wall socket and it will pick up the signal from the bell when someone presses it? If that's the case then for me that's super simple!

Thanks again for your input.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Or: if you have an Alexa device (Amazon Echo, Echo Spot, Echo Dot, Echo Show etc.,) these can announce that someone is at the door.

bluesa1

Or: if you have an Alexa device (Amazon Echo, Echo Spot, Echo Dot, Echo Show etc.,) these can announce that someone is at the door.
That's interesting. My wife has an Alexa but I don't think that it is always switched on. I think that I'd prefer to go for the chime. I will investigate further though, thank you.

SyStemDeMoN

I've got Alexa all round the house. Great when someone rings the doorbell, you never miss it.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thank you for your kind help with this. Are you saying that all I need to do is buy the latest chime (whichever that is), plug it into a normal 13 amp wall socket and it will pick up the signal from the bell when someone presses it? If that's the case then for me that's super simple!

Thanks again for your input.
Yes that’s it. There is a bit more info on my review here: Ring Video Doorbell Plus 3 Review

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom