Another Remote Dimmer Question - Lamp

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Lonz_72, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Lonz_72

Lonz_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a ProntoNG (RU950) and would like to make the most of its RF capabilities. I would like to start with controlling the lighting. I have seen wall plates for controlling the main ceiling lights but does anyone know if there is a RF lamp dimmer available? (one that plugs into the bayonet fitting or at the plug socket end??)

Thanks.

2. DaveChester

DaveChester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Rako do RF dimmers for table lamps. You would need to cut the lead and put the dimmer in line but it really is very simple. You could then expand to other lights etc as you see fit.

I dont know about your RF remote but I control min via a Crestron system and it works very well.

Hope that helps

Dave
    Discreet Remote Control
    www.drc.uk.com

3. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    DaveChester,

what do you use to control Rako from Crestron? IR or RS232? IF RS232 are you using their RAV232plus Interface? How do you rate Rako RS232 control?

4. DaveChester

DaveChester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use RS232 via the RAV232plus interface. Impressed with it, the controller is a way away from some of the dimmers and I run wi-fi, radio keypad etc and have had no problems.

Its reletaviely easy to set up too. Happy to help if you need some programming help....

Cheers

Dave

5. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dave,

thank you for your reply and for offering your help, I appreciate it.

I currently use Homeseer with a Global Cache GC-100. Can Rako with their RS232 interface through homesser give you feedback which lights are on or off?

I also have a few more questions. Are they "true" dimmers? If yes how much do they save? Which of their dimmer will you use on floor and table standing lamps? How big is this dimmer? Can you hide it for floor and table standing lamps, in the wall?

What do you think about z-wave? I just bought a few z-wave lamp dimmers from letsautomate to try them and they seem to work ok. The thing is that there are no z-wave light stwiches out yet for the European market so I can not try these out. I am still though not convinced that z-wave is 100% reliable. Do you know if they are like Lutron, "true" dimmers (when you dim a light 40% you pay 40% less elctricity) or they just dim but you pay full electricity costs? How do you think thet would compare to a Rako setup?

6. DaveChester

DaveChester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I havent seen any Homeseer kit (I only program Crestron and AMX) but if it can interpret the response from the RS232 unit then it shouldn't be a problem.

The dimmer is approximately 10cm by 5 by 5 so too big to hide in the wall.

I'll take a look at the Z-Wave stuff.

Cheers

Dave
    www.drc.uk.com