Another Redundancy

Branson can do one. He sits on his private island. The Aussie refused to bail him out so should we.

I find him quite difficult to judge to be honest. On the one hand I have a lot of sympathy with the plight of the airline business and that he was asking for a loan, not a hand out. I am concerned that the UK are not bailing out airlines yet plenty of other countries including EU countries like Germany and France are (despite it being against the rules of their sacred EU) and that will leave UK business at the mercy of foreign competition.

The trouble is, he was only asking £500m which doesn’t seem enough but if it were why didn’t he liquidise some of his assets and loan it to the company, he could easily afford that amount. So I find it really difficult to believe or trust what he says.

Cheers,

Nigel

I find him quite difficult to judge to be honest. On the one hand I have a lot of sympathy with the plight of the airline business and that he was asking for a loan, not a hand out. I am concerned that the UK are not bailing out airlines yet plenty of other countries including EU countries like Germany and France are (despite it being against the rules of their sacred EU) and that will leave UK business at the mercy of foreign competition.

The trouble is, he was only asking £500m which doesn’t seem enough but if it were why didn’t he liquidise some of his assets and loan it to the company, he could easily afford that amount. So I find it really difficult to believe or trust what he says.

Cheers,

Nigel

The EU are breaking every rule they've made and they wonder why one day very soon it will come crashing down around the heads and they still will not get the reasons.

Branson is as 2 faced as they come, like you say he could afford to loan them that but no he would rather as the country where he pays no tax to bail him out.

Meanwhile, I wouldn’t mind redundancy but I keep getting passed over in favour of people that can’t afford to lose their jobs.

Cheers,

Nigel

So.... our caring, sharing employer has just issued another S188.

This one has increased the number of pilots they want rid of by another 125, taking the total to 1255, out of 4000 - so over 25%!

That in itself is bad enough, but they have now said, (despite us having 'their word' that they weren't coming for our T's & C's), that they now want to massively reduce our T's & C's - and that a failure of the union to agree to such will result in - "...the company would seek to force changes by terminating the employment of all pilots and offering individuals new contracts with associated new terms and conditions."

Words fail me! They want us to run a safety critical operation with this sort of threat hanging over us!

The company's chief negotiator during our strike is now the COO, it is he that is pushing this agenda. I cannot say what I really feel about this individual, as I fear I'd end up not just being banned from AVF, but in court for threatening behaviour, or worse! :mad:

I am sure they spent plenty of money on lawyers to make sure they could get away with this.
And they they aren't taking pay cuts.

Whilst it won’t help in the true sense of help, I hope it gives you comfort that this type of behaviour goes on in other corporate worlds for example, 30 years tenure at one company, followed by TUPE on (to be fair) only slightly lesser terms - to be followed by, “harmonisation” I..e contract termination and new contracts which were, significantly worse.

like I say, this does not help you, but, my point is that this type of thing is going on all around.

rubbish isn’t it

25% reduction seems to be on a par with the rest of the industry. I think that long haul and those operating older aircraft will be the ones to suffer. I think we will see a lot fewer 747s in fleets and I can't see the older 767s and 757s being around much longer either.

As a global business we have a total travel ban without regional CEO approval until 31 July - and this is likely to be extended until September from what we are led to believe. Business travel has died on its arse and we are not allowing overseas visitors into our offices or facilities either.

I am sorry, I really am, but I think it will be the younger short haul 737 / A32x pilots who will be retained. Those with seniority and used to flying the longer routes are going to be hit really hard.

25% reduction seems to be on a par with the rest of the industry. I think that long haul and those operating older aircraft will be the ones to suffer. I think we will see a lot fewer 747s in fleets and I can't see the older 767s and 757s being around much longer either.

As a global business we have a total travel ban without regional CEO approval until 31 July - and this is likely to be extended until September from what we are led to believe. Business travel has died on its arse and we are not allowing overseas visitors into our offices or facilities either.

I am sorry, I really am, but I think it will be the younger short haul 737 / A32x pilots who will be retained. Those with seniority and used to flying the longer routes are going to be hit really hard.
Long haul will have a 1-2 year lag in recovery compared to short haul. Aviation is expecting 4 years before flying hours returns to 2019 levels again with current estimates.

Short haul will recover faster. RR mentioned that it's tough for them as they have more pinned on the longer haul airframes.

There's two trains of thought on older engines. While yes, some are retired early from service to make way for new orders etc, the flip side is the sharp decline in fuel prices making these engines more affordable to run until fuel creeps up again. They're also generally cheaper to service as part of MRO, but may have shorter windows before the next shop visit.

the distressing thing at the moment is how long it all takes. If I'm gonna be out of a job id just rather know then I can go find something else.

It's been going on for 6 weeks now and still no end in sight

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom