Another reccomendation thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by panther100, Feb 14, 2014.

1. panther100

panther100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello again guys and gals,

I'm in the market for a new av receiver and speakers, and would like your advice.

I was running a scan AV6 home cinema kit and it has done me proud (nearly 10 years) unfortunately 3 of the channels have stopped working. It just does not seem feasible to get it repaired as it would be unecomical.

SO I have done the whole entry level set up and am now looking to take the next step up and have been looking at separates.

Now I know budget plays a big part in these type of threads so I suppose I should set one. I was thinking along the lines of spending approx £500 for the lot. This budget is changeable so can go up if someone can really WOW me. On the other hand if it's comes in under that budget then happy days :)

I had done a bit of surfing and had found the following:

Richer Sounds

And

Richer Sounds

Of course if you can recommend something better/different and give me your reasons behind that is be very much appreciative.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +947
    You could certainly do worse than the chosen system in my view.

I have an Onkyo TX515 (rather than the 626 of your link) and the Tannoy TFX speakers (albeit I use an ancient pair of B&W DM5s for the front L & R channels). I am pleased with the sound and features.

Get along to you local Richer Sounds and audition them with material you know well (and any others in your budget) . That's what I did! Your ears may hate the sound.

3. panther100

panther100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you rodders53.

Unfortunately my local richer sounds isn't overly helpful (depending what member of staff you get) do you think if I phone them they would set it up in the demo room for me?

My local one has a habit of only allowing with big big big money in the demo room. :-(

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +947
    E-mail Julian Richer if they won't play ball... Norwich were fine (but I was looking to buy a TV as well) but that wasn't available to see in the room!

£500+ is a big sum of cash to me.

5. panther100

panther100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you again. I'll give them a call and see what happens. Will then post back here with any updates.

In the mean time if anybody else has some input on this matter than please feel free to post.

Thanks

6. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I found the Norwich branch really helpful,and I was only getting a receiver replaced after the original being un repairable, I had a demo of two amps and then returned them both for the first one I tried, no problems at all, I didn't have to spend any money either, but since they where so good over it I ended up buying a new sub.

7. panther100

panther100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't get me wrong the ones where i used to live were pretty much spot on. The one in Glasgow was just as good. However the one in Edinburgh is questionable. Again depending what member of staff you get.
    I have bought many things in my time from richer sounds and I still keep going back despite a couple if bad experiences.

8. panther100

panther100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just another little update I made my choice and have purchased the following:

Denon AVR-X2000 AV Receiver

Cambridge Audio S90 subwoofer

Cambridge Audio S50 centre speak

Cambridge Audio S20 surround speakers. (Waiting for these to be delivered)

Your thoughts on the above would be grand. Am yet to plug it all in yet so not sure how it's all going to sound in my room.

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    If you demoed and they are the speakers and receiver you liked the best then that is the system for you. I may have been tempted to pay a little more and get a BK Electronics Gemini II sub instead of the CA one.