1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another quick look at the Gallo Micros.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jeff, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Firstly I'm no audiophile by any stretch so my opions here should be taken with a giant pinch of salt.

I bought a couple of micros to replace my back rear speakers, I needed something small and these appeared to fit the bill. So far I have connected them up as front speakers and tried them out in stereo mode replaceing a couple of Celestion C2 towers.

The Gallo's haven't been broken in yet so they should get better after a little while. The first thing I noticed was very good detail and imageing. Quite musical and certainly sound much larger than their size suggests. Even so I could detect a slight hint of boseeness to the sound, just once in a while they couldn't quite pull it off. Still for the cost and size I'm still very impressed and with a bit more break in time they should get even better. For surround work I recon these things are going to be superb, one of the music CD I played has a fair amount of ambient sound in it and the Gallos were picking out detail I hadn't even noticed before.

Jeff

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Great expression now entering the forum vocabulary :D

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeff,
    Thank you for your thoughts. Your Celestion C2 towers have a slightly warmer "flavour" to them than the percieved sound eminating from the Nucleus Micro's.
    Celestion, much like most other mainstream speaker manufacturer, "voiced" their speakers to give their idea of a pleasing flavour, tone or characteristic that will appeal to most listeners (in their opinion of course).
    Even worse, budget end speakers are voiced not by design but by the very limitations that are imposed on their design and build due to severely restricted cost targets. Low quality crossovers, drivers, magnets and inferior cabinet bracing all lend a hand to add unwanted flavour to a given speaker.

In my opinion, the Nucleus Micro's do not have a flavour. The reasons are many. Firstly, these speakers do not have a crossover which would affect their sound. As for the hughly importand factor of internal bracing, a few thoughts here. Apart from the stainless steel model, the Nucleus Micros are actually made of steel. This is an intensely stiff material and with the enormous benifit of its very shape, it contributes to a virtually resonance free enclosure.

Give the Gallo's a few weeks running in period to stretch its muscles and you will hear a very remarkable incredibly uncoloured delivery of just about anything you throw at it.

Happy listening,
    Eric

4. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I didn't realize this - does that mean that the stainless ones do not sound as good as the others ???

BJ (2 SS Gallos on order)

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BJ,
    Not at all. The Stainless steel one's are actually made of high grade alluminium. Sound quality just as good.

Regards
    Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.