1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another question on speaker settings...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by captaindobie, Jan 3, 2005.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can someone please tell me what the resulting difference will be (should be) if i adopt either of the following speaker settings on my Sony amp?

Front (L+R) set to LARGE (cut off frequency not adjustable when using this setting)

Centre (not CENTER!) set to SMALL (cut off frequency set to 100hz)
    Rears set to SMALL (cut off frequency set to 100hz)
    Sub - freqency set to 80hz and below

Front (L+R) set to SMALL (cut off frequency set to 80hz)

All other settings as above.

Can someone explain what is actually happening with the fronts when changed from LARGE to SMALL? How does this change the bass management? Am i right in thinking that when the fronts are set to LARGE only the bass from the centre and rears is re-directed to the sub? (and if this is correct then i will need to set my sub to 100hz and below - yes?!?)
    I have read, and re-read, all the threads regarding this subject and i still cant quite get my head round it. Apologies if this covers old ground but it is a popular subject!

Thanks in advance...

2. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Correct. Correct

All LFE will go to the Fronts. Anything below 100hz (Centre & Rears) will go to the Sub but you will miss between 80hz & 100hz. i.e. 100hz or below will be sent to the Sub, but because it is set to 80hz only anything below 80hz will be output.

All LFE below 80hz (Fronts) will go to the Sub, anything below 100hz (Centre & Rears) will go to the Sub - suggest you change that to 80hz to match the Fronts (see explanation above)

Option 2 is the better recommended solution.

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That's brilliant. Thanks for the quick response. It all makes a little more sense now...

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, i tried various settings this afternoon. Changing all the speaker settings to small (80/90/100 hz cut off) and the Subwoofer crossover to 80/90/100 hz actually, to my ears, reduced the overall impact of the bass. I have now gone back to Fronts LARGE with Rear & Centre set to SMALL, setting the crossover to 80hz.
    This sounds great to me and i guess that's really the true answer. Leave your settings the way it sounds best to you...