1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Question About the Canton CD-1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nheather, Apr 14, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    This question is about the performance of the sub with respect to the rest of the system.

When she has seen friends' systems, my wife has commented that she doesn't like the thuds and the shakes produced by the sub when fed by a movie track LFE.

This is fine for big systems because you can turn down the sub to reduce the effects but I'm worried whether this is possible for small systems because they need the sub turned up to provide the normal bass.

With the CD-1 how dependent is the system on the sub - for example if my wife is watching a programme/movie and I turn the sub down to stop the room from shaking will I find that the system becomes tinny.

Also how integrated is the CD-1 sub? I've read that with a good setup it should not be possible to discern that the sub is there (just melts into the rest of the system) - is this acheivable with the CD-1.

I'm hoping to arrange an audition next week but until then would be interested in your views.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

All the subs that canton produce have as a minimum spec, a volume control & crossover adjustment control. This will give you the ability to set your system up to either 'wife friendly' mode or 'upset the neighbours' mode and any variation inbetween. even in the 'wife friendly' mode with correct placement and setting of the crossover, you can have a great sound that is not tinny but full and smooth, without breaking your windows. In fact systems that have been setup incorrectly and have the subwoofer turned up to high, sound lousy, 'more' is not always best. Far better to have the sub down a bit lower, just to fill out the bottom end and then adjust to your own taste.

regards

JJ

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    Brilliant, thanks for the update.

Cheers,

Nigel