Another Query: Phillips 32PW9616

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Milhouse, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On SCART 2 I have a TiVo with a fully connected 21 pin cable. In SCART 3 I have a digital cable decoder (also a fully connected cable).

I don't think I'm getting stereo sound via these two SCARTs - the sound is awful, it appears to be mono. Normally the information line at the top of the screen will indicate sound mode, either Nicam Stereo (on RF transmissions), mono, Dobly 3/2 etc. but through these SCART inputs I am not getting any information regarding the sound mode and as I've said it appears to be mono output even though the source is most definately stereo (digital or nicam).

Is this TV faulty, shouldn't I be getting stereo sound and should the TV be stating as such?

Cheers, Milhouse

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    When you say the sound is awful, is it much worse than the UHF terrestrial channels or is the sound poor on all material?
    I can't see how you could fail to get stereo through the scart leads. The TV won't tell you whether the source material via scart is in fact stereo or not

John

3. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound is flatter, duller and quieter than NICAM Stereo from a terrestrial transmission - I have used headphones and am unable to place sounds heard via the SCART but have no trouble doing so on NICAM (for instance, a car sound was moving left to right on NICAM, the same sound on SCART and I couldn't tell the direction it was moving in).

This is on ALL material I view/hear through SCART - TiVo, analogue cable and digitial cable (I have an engineers loan box at the moment for a reason unrelated to this issue!)

4. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does stereo audio via SCART sockets sound compared to NICAM over RF? Is the SCART stereo "better" than Nicam, or the same or worse? Mine is most definately worse and sounds like mono - to be honest since it's common to all my sources I'm inclined to think the TV is at fault.

:confused:

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I'm not familiar with this Telly but I wonder if it is somehow set up for external front speakers; ie all the internal speakers only providing the Centre Channel (which doesn't sound too fantastic on its own).
    However I can't really see why the nicam audio is still OK! Maybe your tv has a wider range of audio options than my Tosh.

John

6. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently the TV is set up for 3D Surround (since my wireless rear speakers aren't working - see other thread, :( ) - with all internal speakers enabled. There don't appear to be seperate audio options depending upon the source so in theory all audio inputs should be being processed the same way (ie 3D Surround output through all speakers).

Thanks for the reply :) I'm sure there are other PW9616 owners on this board - maybe they're a little shy :D