Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Another PW6 Conection/Cable query...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by AFC, Sep 15, 2004.

1. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only recently found this board and have spent hours reading up on people's experiences, ideas etc and found it very informative and have finally plucked up the courage to make my own post. After seeking some professional advice about whether to go for a projector or plasma I finally plumped for a plasma. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I know all the newbies with PW6's seem to be asking very similar questions and I have searched through the forums but I haven't really found the answers that I need. :rolleyes:

Basically I have a Panny PW6 being delivered on Tue :thumbsup: with the usual connections, vga, scart, so I need to hook it up to my existing equipment. I'm new to all of this so I've only got level entry stuff which consists of:

Sony DAV S550 DVD player - component video out(Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr) & can send progressive, s-video, composite, optical digital in, audio/video jacks in, audio/video jacks out.....NO SCARTS!
    Sky + receiver - scart to TV, scart to video, optical digital out......

So, I need to now connect the PW6 to the above equipment, I'm always looking for simpliest way of doing things but I also want to get the best out of my equipment.

I think the Sky + to PW6 is simple enough which I intend to do from scart to scart, is this ok?

The real problem I seem to be having is connecting the DVD player to the PW6. I've come across a component to VGA lead (VESA cable??) which I think will do the trick as I believe the PW6's VGA input can be configured to accept component signals?! but, am I losing any quality by going component to VGA? - I've attached a picture of the cable in question.

As for sound, I've got an optical digital cable from my Sky + box to the DVD player with 5.1 sound which works well at the moment. I presume this is ok?

So, if any of you guys could see their way to offering some advice on where I'm going wrong and/or your solution to connect my equipment then it would be very much appreciated. :lease:

Attached Files:

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    get the component board with the PW6 ....... dvd player to component board on PW6
    get the JS SCART plasma to VGA box .......... SKY to JS box to VGA input on PW6
    best quality on all inputs then

sound thru your HiFi, forget sound to PW6

3. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers fella, that's just what I was after, clear and easy to understand advice. Many thanks. :thumbsup:

The component board and JS scart to VGA may have to wait a few weeks until I get some more cash but at least I know what I should be getting now.

I take it the component to VGA cable will do a reasonable job in the meantime?

4. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't forget that you'll lose widescreen switching from Sky using the JS Scart to VGA. You could leave the screen permanently in wide mode and watch all the 4:3 channels stretched, but what's the point of spending several thousand pounds on a set up and then watching a distorted picture.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,087
    AFC

01. YUV to HD15 or 3RCA - given decent interconnects (not the ones in your jpg I'd hazard) you'll need very good eyesight to notice a difference between YUV to the HD15 (VGA) socket or to 3BNC sockets on an installed Component board.

02. SCART RGB to SCART Input board - not my favourite Input board as it always looks soft to me; I'd use it for now and then look at your options.

03. RGB Converters - the JS Technology boxes are the only ones we supply and they work very well. If you want to retain Aspect Ratio switching you could go with the RGB2YUV converter rather than the RGB2VGA converter (without sacrificing much in the way of signal quality).

04. Zektor YUV switcher - a bit more cash than an additional Component Board for the Display but add an HDS4 switcher between the YUV out of your DAV and the converted YUV out from your Digibox and the HD15 Input on the Plasma - then program the HDS4 to work with the IR codes on your DAV and you'd have a single input seamless switch for audio and video sources.

See http://www.zektor.com

Best regards

Joe

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I now have the Scart board and the JS box installed

watching tha same picture on both side by side (PIP)
    the SCART Terminal board is clearly inferior in all cases, diagonal crawling visable
    while the picture from the JS to VGA box is totally stable on every source.

I really don't mind switching aspect ratio myself when given such a large picture quality improvement.