another ps4/xb1 poll

do we still feel the same

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's not get carried away with presupposition there Trigonometry.

Same for me, but vice versa.

You lot get paid far too much. I really should setup a donation account on paypal for all you playboys who can afford 2 consoles. Only fair I reckon :thumbsup:

None of the poll options suit me at all.

I was going to go X1 until I saw the forced Kinect, DRM, 24hr check and other "features", this pushed me towards the PS4 where I placed a pre-order. Even after the changes from MS, I don't like what they wanted to force on to the user so decided to stay away and think going Sony will be a nice change as well.

I think I may well pre order an XB1 to go with my already pre ordered PS4

where is this option:

Im a hardcore gamer and im buying both

1. Was gonna get the new xbox
2. was revealed, was worried about all the American football
3. found out it needed always online connection, pre-ordered ps4
4. looked for games for ps4 I liked, couldn't find any so ordered knack
5. decided I didn't want knack
6. ordered xbone anyway
7. ms backtracked of virtually everything
8. preordered more games after stunning e3 reveal
9. ordered more games after gamescom
10. realising not gonna have time to play all the games I've preordered

and now for the future

11. go to eurogamer
12. cancel any games & console to keep spend to some sort of sensible level
13. buy multiplats on pc to keep spend to a sensible level

I was actually looking forward to the Xbox One, but when I saw the sheer arrogance of M$, telling service men tough you can't play it, even though I don't serve I found that offensive, then the always online and the mandatory Kinect etc etc, the pathetic way none of the execs knew their facts or presented the console in a way you wanted it.
Plus I also thought the DRM system was an absolute mess and a joke, I'd already gone to Sony by the time they scrapped it.
I lost all interest in the Xbone and instantly pre-ordered a PS4, plus the price difference helped.
But now having seen the back tracking they have done I simply could not trust M$, they are seriously disorganised, unprofessional, don't believe in their product or vision, I do not trust them.

So never again. I traded all my Xbox 360 stuff in, and treated my PS3 to The Last Of Us.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that care about the lifecycle of my decision process :p

I have been gaming for 35 years plus on every format from the classic arcade games through, Speccy, Commodore, Atari, Amiga, Sega, Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox. Current gen I went from PS2 to Xbox 360 and back to PS3 holidays 2010 after my 360 died. Personally thought I had the best of both worlds this way as 360 lacked decent first party titles the last few years and PS3 had a poor start.

Anyway, going into next gen I had an open mind. Probably getting only one console due to constraints of time more than cash.

As an aside I have two younger brothers, one of whom will almost certainly buy an Xbox as soon as it has Gears and Halo, the other will wait 12-18 months and buy a PlayStation.

So beginning of this year I am starting to look forward to the next gen starting in 2014 so am pleasantly surprised to have it all kick off in 2013 :)

1. Pre-launch: rumours give me concerns about MS strategy, weaker console, Kinect and media oriented, vs more powerful games oriented machine. Retain open mind.

2. PS4 reveal: impressed. Like the direction they're talking about, wonder what MS will say.

3. Xbox reveal: what the f***? Worst fears confirmed, does it even play games.

4. Xbox E3: f*** right off, not having this nonsense. Very put off by DRM, meh about Kinect.

5. PS4 E3: Sold.

6. MS U- turns: moves from f*** right off to, maybe next year. Keeps pre-order knowing how fickle I can be!

7. Pre-Gamescom: nothing much. MS start to get their story consistent which is a big plus but doesn't change anything.

8. Gamescom: advantage Sony again. MS did well without really saying anything, but moneyhatting the same old same old doesn't do it for me. Sony's vision has been more coherent since day one, I have more faith in their first party support even if Xbox MIGHT have a marginally stronger launch lineup.

Overall I'm still almost certainly going with PS4 (no real surprise ;) ) due to price, first party support and, most importantly, the clearest, coherent and consistent vision.

Xbox certainly in a better place than post E3 but they had a lot of ill will to overcome and it takes more than free FIFA to do that.

Ramble over, thanks for listening :p

I was actually looking forward to the Xbox One, but when I saw the sheer arrogance of M$, telling service men tough you can't play it, even though I don't serve I found that offensive, then the always online and the mandatory Kinect etc etc, the pathetic way none of the execs knew their facts or presented the console in a way you wanted it.
Plus I also thought the DRM system was an absolute mess and a joke, I'd already gone to Sony by the time they scrapped it.
I lost all interest in the Xbone and instantly pre-ordered a PS4, plus the price difference helped.
But now having seen the back tracking they have done I simply could not trust M$, they are seriously disorganised, unprofessional, don't believe in their product or vision, I do not trust them.

So never again. I traded all my Xbox 360 stuff in, and treated my PS3 to The Last Of Us.

Uh...

Anyone else feel the same?

Uh...

I have never had an XBox, so can't use that as a weight, but I was going to consider one this time around, after a selection of games being seemingly better on the XBox this gen...

They couldn't have sold it worse in my opinion, and Sony have been consistent in their vision for a great gaming console from day one.

One of many reasons I'm getting a PS4. I've listed the rest many times before.

Uh...
Maybe not quite so strongly, but I swapped for the same reasons. MS pushed me away with their original plans and even after reversal, I'm not going back to the X1. Of course the next generation down the line could all change again so I'm not going to say MS never again.

Maybe it's just me but can you really trust any company, Microsoft, Sony etc

Sony may be your best friend now but just as easily, they could have some issues at launch just as Microsoft could have more issues.

Wasn't the "We have an offline console, it's called an Xbox 360" a Don Mattrick comment as apposed to Microsoft as a whole?

Anyway for me it's about the games and I hope whatever anyone decides we all have fun. :D

You mean, is anyone else having a nervous breakdown?

Hmm, I'd hardly call it a breakdown. More a case of feeling angry and let down by MS on their bizarre quest for kinect world domination ;)

Wasn't the "We have an offline console, it's called an Xbox 360" a Don Mattrick comment as apposed to Microsoft as a whole?

If you are President of Interactive Entertainment at Microsoft (as Mattrick was at the time), you are Microsoft. That statement was dumb and arrogant.

Yah, it's fair to say that he had some PR people whispering into his ear at the time too. Though the arrogance was all his.

If you are President of Interactive Entertainment at Microsoft (as Mattrick was at the time), you are Microsoft. That statement was dumb and arrogant.

Not as if Sony haven't had their moments...

Ken Kutaragi before PS3 launch- "For consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel they want it, irrespective of anything else"

Maybe it's just me but can you really trust any company, Microsoft, Sony etc
There are no doubt some companies that put end users ahead of company profits/expansion/world domination, but probably not the biggest ones. I'm not hugely keen on the likes on MS, Sony or Apple, but I use all of their products. I have a couple of Sony TVs, an iPhone and iPad, but I don't like the way those two companies limit your ability to use 3rd party accessories (Sony and there stupid memory, iPads with no USB slot etc).

Hmm, I'd hardly call it a breakdown. More a case of feeling angry and let down by MS on their bizarre quest for kinect world domination ;)
I just don't see what all the fuss was about.
1) They want everyone to have Kinect so that developers make use of it. Personally I think they should have planned for the Box to work without it from the start, as I could imagine times in the past when I'd have wanted to travel with just the console, but even so I see their decision as a poor one, rather than an untrustworthy malicious one.

2) They wanted us to be able to play our games without having the disc in. This was a great idea, but had to have online checks to prevent everyone just loading the game and then selling it on. But I can see plenty of reasons why people would want to use their console when not online (and telling people to use buy a 360 was just embarrassing), so I think this was a mistake too. But again, that's all it was, a mistake.

So the public made MS aware that they were mistakes. MS had the choice to be arrogant and ignore the public, or do a U turn. Although I would have been happy with their earlier plans (because my X1 will never leave the living room, it will always be online, and I don't plan on unplugging Kinect) I think the U turn was the right thing to do. But that's not good enough for the haters. Haters are going to hate no matter what. And I find some of that hating a little bit bizarre / nervous breakdown territory.

Absolutely. It also wasn't isolated or only him or out of line with their policies as was.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom