1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another problem with my philips TV....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by one_jedi, Aug 25, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently noticed another problem with my Philips 24" 6006 TV (to go with all the rest). Sometimes when certain colours are on screens a line the size of the object appears all the way across the screen from the object to the right hand side. The strange thing is there seems to be no specific type of brightness or colour when it happens. Sometimes you can see it when the credits are appearing yet when there are really bright lights on the screen it doesn't ussually happen. Also at first I thought the line/bars that appeard were lighter then the screen but they are actually darker then the surrounding area. Also I only really notice it on animated progams, doesn't seem to appeear, or I can't see it on live action films. Another thing is it only seems to be when it is set to RGB, if I set my player to s-video or normal video then the lines across the screen aren't there. It is the TV and not the dvd player or anything else. Anyone got any idea why this happens or how it could be fixed. I was thinking scart lead but I really don't think that is the problem. i'm guessing i'm going to have to put up with it.

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What other probs have you got with it?

Yes you have got to put up with it,unless you get rid,like I did,after 6 months patience.

3. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other problems, let's see. Bars going down the screen at the sides which only show up at certain times, you can especially see them when the screen is grey, I think this is a similar problem to the pixel plus televisions. At the sides of the screen for maybe 1cm everything gets a bit squashed. You know how some sets have a mode for displaying 4:3 picture on widescreen by keeping the middle of the picture normal and the steching out the sides? Well it's like that but rather then being streched out everything is slightly squashed, very annoying for any type of pannning shots. Geometry problems, althought not to bad to be really annoying. In NTSC mode the colour goes really really bright and blooming which is anoyying and sometimes the geometry is really off at the top for some dvd's. Now add this new problems which is arguably the worst the TV is a bit crap. I've only just noticed this new problem so I don't know if it's always been there but I've only just noticed or if something has gone wrong in the TV xausing it but it is very annoying.

I've had the TV for over a year now and it is really annoying me with this new problem, the rest I put up with. Had an engineer out ages ago and he was about as useful as shaving with a spanner. Apparently everything was just 'compatibility problems'.

Oh well, if I could find a cheap 24" widscreen TV then I may consider getting a new and giving this one to my brother. No way can I affored an expensive TV at the moment. I'd even go for a cheap supermarket one, they may be made form cheap componetns ect but I know some people with them and there seem to be no specific problesms like I have with my TV.

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm sorry to hear about your problems,but why should you put up with it for a year,get rid?

I had the same probs on my 32PW6006.

How much can you afford for another one?

You could try buy now pay later,or interest free.

5. bakersman

bakersman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased my first widescreen after 10 years of classic 28" 4:3 toshiba quality pictures.

I followed recent reviews in mag and bought a 32 PW6006 philips as showroom stock

I have since been very concerned about poor pixelisation especially with sports / movement and even Eastenders cut shots are poor clarity....DVD's and films are fine however. As there is little option in setup is there anything I can try to improve matters as watching football is making me dizzy!!

6. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you could try make sure your tv's colour settings ect are set up properly by using an potimizer dvd or if you have certain fox dvd's they contain a THX opptimizer, star wars dvd's have this. Also I have heard that having contrast plus on the features menu turned on can cause this problem you describe so you could try turning it is off if it is on.