1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another possible problem with PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ekko Star, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If the screen is fired with some test RGB screens, or blank backgrounds have noticed that the screen appears to have 2 halves shaded ever so differently
    The line of separation is exactly across the middle of the screen, whether this is a feature or not or is common to all sets is unknown. Certainly not a good thing.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    Are these the test screens from the service menu?

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    No, you can make them via Powerpoint slides or use monitor testing patterns.

Basically it shows up quite clearly on a pale blue and grey shaded screens but is there on all colours. The top half is shaded ever so slightly darker than the lower half. The line of separation is exactly dead centre of the screen which causes me to believe it maybe within the set itself.

The screen should be perfectly uniform in colour. Needs investigating :lesson:

4. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I popped DVD-Discovery in my player to have a look at the colour test patterns. The player is connected to the screen (37") through RGB scart. I noticed no differences in shades, even close up. Maybe it is only visible when using an HD signal?

- Jerry

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok let me have my input into this as i mentioned on my other post that i had noticed something else that was potentially distracting but i didn't mention it so people didn't think i was going crazy but basically i noticed a very faint horizontal line running across the centre of the screen which isn't really visible 90 percent of the time and thats why i choose to ignore it. I don't notice the two different shades you mentioned but are you saying you notice what looks like a faint line running across the screen dead centre and can be spotted on say a gray background?

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    That's it mate ! Good eyesight. You and me both looks like we go through these things meticulously.

I've seen vertical banding on PJ's, this looks like horizontal banding on Plasma's :rolleyes:

But I do detect an ever so different shade above and below. I've tried to take a picture and have converted it to B/W to show it up better on JPG.

7. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    From your picture i can notice it also....I have one on order and sure hope mine is not like that, seems that the panny is not the screen sent from god as i was meant to believe (but did not believe of course every screen has its flaws).

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If Flying Big has got it as well looks like it's a potential flaw. No mate your are not going mad !

On a picture you would be hard pressed to notice it, but I did, I guess I got critical eyes :cool: The line is dead centre so it is down to the plasma.

This is not the screen from God as some peeps have been making out :cool:

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i simply cannot believe you lot. do you like watching a white screen with your eyes in black and white mode? personally, when i get home from a hard day of work, i like to sit down and relax to digital video essentials. then, just before bed, i dive into the service menu and check out some test patterns. :smashin:

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The problem is the PV500 is a HD ready screen, as you get better and better defintion, sure the picture looks better....but the flaws become all the more revealing as well :thumbsdow

I guess the point is we are trying to get better defintion without the flaws. Would you like to have a line dead centre across your screen ? Thought not !

While the Super gamma adjustment appears a designed feature on these sets, I cannot believe this is one by design :cool:

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    but be honest, did you notice it whilst watching a dvd? As it happens, my tv is perfect, and i shan't be upgrading to this generation of plasmas (nothing to do with stupidly faint lines or active contrast control). perhaps a phd8!

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Yes that's when I noticed it actually ! It was most apparent when the DVD player was in menu mode :cool:

Once you know it's there it's there...... :suicide:

13. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ched just leave it, if contrast changes and verical lines running across the screen don't annoy you then stay out of these posts or go get your eyes checked. I don't look for these problems, they just present themselves and it doesn't surprise me when i see them and i thank Ekko for pointing this out as i now know its now a failure with my set but rather another annoying feature.
    It reminds me of the Sony triniton screens which have 3 faint black lines running across the screen and was not a fault but something to do with the way the screen was put together to provide a truely flat screen with no gemetry flaws (no other tv on the planet can provide decent geometry).
    Also reminds me of ALL toshiba widescreen tvs that have a dirty whitish bar running down the centre of the screen and ****** me off no end. Thankfully man created refunds! Now if only man could design a screen with no flaws! I mean if the pv500 didn't have this vertical line or changes of contrast at its own accord it would be the greatest tv ever made, didn't panasonic realise this? That they were soo close to perfection yet fell on there arse?
    For me the vertical line isn't a massive problem yet, as i haven't noticed it too much and softening the picture helps but it has the potential to be a big problem if hi def shows it up more. I still don't no whether to return the set and take a risk with another screen. Decisions decisions.

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Actually maybe a better way of describing it is probably a faint screen burnt line across the centre of the screen. Obviously not screen burn but that's how it presents itself. Is that a good or bad thing ? Hmmmm.

It would be good to hear if owners of the PV series have noticed this yet ?

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Unless you have seen every TV on planet i would stay away from such sweeping statements..........It sounds like you are after the perfect display, not going to happen and £2.5k is at the bargain basement end of the market, there is no shame in it and there is nothing wrong with "only" having £2.5k for a TV!!! but if you start trying to pick apart the set it will fall down, the veira range are a huge compromise as all TV's are. Mass market appeal will never deliver niche market quality or performance.................................If you want enjoy a film dont start down this road guys

16. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vertical lines? Horizontal lines? I'm a graphic designer, so I'm pretty picky about image quality, but I really don't know what you guys are on about. I photographed a bright white frame and viewed it on the SD viewer - no sign of horizontal or vertical lines. Either my eyesight is not up to yours, or you have a slightly dodgy set. I don't have the darkening with the SKY info box, either.

Before you start labelling the PV500 'flawed', it would be wise to see if this affects all the panels, or just a small selection.

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Jvwaard didn't notice this either. Maybe this is because you guys have the 37PV ? Might be afflicting the 42PV's only?

Plasma should not have this *line* at whatever price point so good for owners to keep a look out for it and report here.

18. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 37 inch model and i have it. I think i notice these things because i wear glasses when i watch tv which means i have perfect vision and may be easier to spot. Looking at Ekko's screenshot i have the EXACT same issue in EXACTLY the same spot so in my view its not a fault as what would the chances of my line being in the exact same place as Ekko's and both of ours being dead centre? It's the way the screen was made and everyones has it whether you notice it now or one year up the line you have it. I will seek confirmation from panasonic whether it is normal or not just to prove it.

19. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At last some sense, why do people want to pick away at a product, upset others or cause concern. This scrren is a great all rounder. Its not the best display in the world!!!! but I have not seen better for the money I have paid.

I love Films and good hifi, spent several years building up my kit, certain parts of it bug me even though I have spent well over 10k, thats just life. What I paid out, the kit does and as you get to know your av you may find some flaws.
    The pv500 is a good all round screen, Some people need to get a life, I have watched 20-30 movies without concern. Tv picture is good, I dont need to flux about with it. For FLUX sake its only a telly.

What do people want, like every thing in life you get what you pay for.

If people dont rate this screen dont buy, or not happy with it, take it back, then come and tell us what you have purchased :)

20. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I can't reproduce this. To say that because you wear glasses you have perfect vision is a tad daft, but I too wear glasses and I don't see it. I will try and take a photo later to 'prove' it (although for conspiracy theorists out there I could always have doctored the image in Photoshop).

So where does that leave us? Some people have noticed this issue, others haven't. I can't in fact think of many situations where you would be able to see this effect in practice, unless it's visible on ordinary images rather than just pure white, but I understand the just the knowledge that something isn't perfect can spoil some people's enjoyment.

I must just reiterate that this screen has the best SKY picture I have ever seen on plasma or LCD. There may well be other 'imperfections' that emerge, but nothing so far can detract from the fact that when I watch it I see through it to the programs, rather than just seeing a screen.

21. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    enjoy your screen and let the nerds of this world look at white screens with a line LOL, I think my pv500 rocks.

22. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why, Oh why do the Fanatasonics get so touchy whenever someone suggests there is an element of their Panasonic TV they aren't happy with???

They paid for their TV's just like you did.
    They are entitled to complain about any aspect of their TV's they wish.
    It's called freedom of speech. :lesson:
    If you don't want to hear it don't look in threads that contain words like "problem".
    I have very acute vision and in the past have found "auto-contrast" effects irritating in the extreme. If your eyes aren't as sensitive and you don't see it or if you do see it and it doesn't annoy you - Great! Enjoy your TV.
    But stop telling everyone else what they should think about it. :mad:

I'm glad the "auto-contrast/auto-gamma" feature was brought forward. I can now look for a set that gets a decent picture without this (or at least that can be disabled or altered by the user). Which may save me from spending £2500 on a TV that is likely to get on my t*ts.

This line sounds not unlike the lines you get on a monitor that uses an apeture grille (such as Trinitron) instead of a shadow mask. They contain horizontal stabilising wires which are visible as feint lines. I have a 19" Iiyama DiamondTron monitor with this type of screen - it has 2 feint lines. Although these are feint they are visible when using the monitor for watching movies or playing games, so yes, I believe those of you who say you can see your Panasonic's line during normal usage.
    That said I have no idea what your feint line actually is!! :rolleyes: But I imagine it is probably some feature of the technology used.

23. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did of course mean aperture grille.
    :oops:
    A simple spooling mistake!!
    D'oh.

24. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If this line can be spotted when watching normal dvds or tv, then these people will never ever find a perfect screen.

25. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Thing is the line is there, that's a fact. It could be down to a dodgy set it could be more widespread. The fact Flying Big has it on his 37" as well seems to imply it may not just be a random fault. We need more feedback before it can be called a flaw.

The fact remains it is there. Whether some people choose not to see it or wish to paint over it's only £2.5k is as ridiculous a statement you are ever likely to hear. If you weren't interested in getting the most out of sets like these you wouldn't be buying it ? What if you were running a PC desktop on the screen and it was there ?

If I bought a Tiny for £1k I would be seriously disappointed to see these kinds of lines across it....I would not expect it of Panasonic TBH....especially when it's not been witnessed on any of it's predecessors.

Anyway I think that threads like this are probably more informative to prospective buyers or owners rather than *have you taken your sticker off* or *here's how it looks in my living room* There are many defintions of a nerd.... :D

26. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The whole point of glasses is to get your vision back to as perfect as is possible...this is not a daft comment and if i had this tv say 2 years ago (when i wasn't wearing glasses) then i wouldn't have seen this vertical line as my vision wasn't as good as it is now as i would have been unaware my vision was deteriating slowly and people may have this happening and their vision isn't quite as perfect as they think it is.

I really think people need to chill, this forum is for discussing and finding solutions to problems that we ecounter with our new sets, no one is bitching or putting down the pv500 but merely observing and i think people have a right to know and for this very reason people come to this forum to make decisions on their purchaes based on the info contained within these posts. Ekko was right to point out his observation, what humours me is that people debate that they don't have these problems yet they own the same set and unless their set was delivered by god himself they have it to. Just except it and let the post move off the page where it can remain for anybody looking info on the pv500 as nothing is going to be solved with this post as this is a feature of the set and it will always be there, on the other hand i remain upbeat that the auto contrast feature may yet serve up a solution.

27. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spot on mate and never a truer last paragraph :thumbsup:

I wonder when 2.5k became pocket change, i need a new job :eek:

28. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I turn my e95 on to timer record it gives me a grey screen, I could not for the life of me see this line. At the end of the day if it cant been seen under normal viewing then its not a problem for me.

Can you confirm if you can see this line whilst playing a dvd or watching freeview ???

Then it would be more than a valid point. I have found information on the auto contrast, if you have read the thread it states this is a gama feature.
    I havent got a problem with pointing out problems. It just people making comments and they havent even see the set in operation, they are the danger!!! i would really like some feedback from horny and maw on the auto contrast.............................Guys any views on this considering the usa hd panal has still got faults and its nothing to do with the s-vhs feed, which has now been upgraded.

29. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that may be true.
    But then I don't think there's such thing as 'perfect'. There would never be any new models released if anyone had come close to making one.
    I think the trick is to find out the pluses and minuses of your prospective purchases. That is why magazine reviews and user experiences in forums like these MUST be used as a valuable source of information of faults and features.
    With knowledge you are then empowered to make an informed choice. You are then able to choose which features you prefer or which problems you wish to avoid and which problems you can live with.
    That is why I get incensed when people are shouted down for bringing these problems forward. Although I have noticed that the people doing the shouting frequently are the sort of people who has spent so much time boasting about how good their set is, and/or criticizing other peoples TV's that I think their reaction is mainly due to embarrassment when they realise their TV isn't quite as flawless as they thought.

As to whether the line is an issue:
    It depends what this line actually is of course and whether all good plasma sets use it? Do good quality ALIS sets like the PD7200 use it, and what about Pioneer, for example?
    Also in my personal experience I use to find the contrast effect far more annoying than I do the feint lines on my monitor.
    But then again my monitor isn't 42" and I don't really use it as a TV.

If you aren't in the least bit put off by either then enjoy your TV :thumbsup:
    I do suspect that it may be something similar to the lines on a monitor. I suppose if anyone knows a Panasonic engineer they could clear it up quickly.

30. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko Star,
    I'm very much on your side in hoping you can find an screen without any lines.
    However you state, "Plasma should not have this *line* at whatever price point so good for owners to keep a look out for it and report here".
    Just to re-iterate: this line may actually be part of the technology used to create the screen. Just as the feint horizontal lines on an aperture grille CRT monitor are. You really need to find out their purpose and which manufacturers use them. Bear in mind all manufacturers may use them. You also need to see if they are apparent on different plasma technology such as ALIS.