Quantcast

Another pointless remake

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I see that they are in post production on The Flight Of The Phoenix.
Those of you who haven't seen the 1965 original should do so. It's brilliant and available restored on US DVD.
I can't believe that any actors would have the temerity to play Richard Attenborough or James Stewart's parts.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/

cosaw

Novice Member
Yes I saw the orignal Flight Of The Phoenix, good film, the Ernest Borgnine simpleton character always reminds me of Ralph Wigham from the Simpsons. :) I remember the plane took off on what were like makeshift skis. However on the end sequence fly by shots you could see wheels quite prominently under the skis. I suppose that's a difficult one to work around, afterall what else is the plane gona land on in real life? It just bugged me that bit at the end, but I'll let it go! A difficult one to remake for sure.

Simon

cosaw

Novice Member
Spectre, that's quite shocking I didn't know about that. That puts a whole new perspective on the movie. I suppose there are many films where quite often the public don't know the whole (behind the scenes) story.

Simon

grease monkey

Novice Member
Good Film and a great performance by Richard Attenborough. It's being released on Region 2 on the 3rd May.

F

FoxyMulder

I wonder how long it will be before the best actor oscar goes to a piece of CGI.

Garrett

Looking at the TV paper I see there was on on this afternoon a re-make of High Noon.

T

trevor g

remakes in film as so called pop singers with other peoples
music can anyone think of a half decent film remake ?

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Flight of the phoenix is a classic. One of those BBC2 Sunday afternoon sort of films.

I remember switching the TV on one Sunday, bored out of my skull and becoming engrossed in a film that had just started. Had to watch it all the way to end. Turned out it was Rebel Without a Cause.

Going to go order Flight of Phoenix now.

Cheers Spectre!

G

MC Hammer

What next ?

Hugh Grant in It's A Wonderful Life co starring Jo Lo as his wife ?

Mind you I would only buy it if it had DTS.

Kevo

What with the success of teh Starsky and Hutch remake whatever next?

Magnum PI with George Clooney ;)

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I've heard that Magnum PI is on the cards.
Shows how
a) little imagination Hollywood has and
b) people are daft enough to watch this rubbish

Mind you I got the Get Carter remake out of curiosity which shows I'm daft. One of those 'watch and forget' movies.

The Mummy was an entertaining remake even if/perhaps because it changed genre from Horror to Action/Comedy.

Mind you if we're talking about recurring themes then if someone were to pitch a movie about machines having taken over the world with lots of artificial reality, gunplay and kung fu, I'd be quite unexcited. I loved the Matrix.

F

FoxyMulder

The next really big remake i'm looking forward to is gonna be King Kong, i like the fact they are setting it in the past and not the present and that it's gonna have the dinosaurs and the spider scene, the potential is there for it to be great, i'll probably end up being disappointed cos i'm a fan of the 1933 version.