1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another playstation 2 or xbox query

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ubik, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, well, never having owned a console,
    Ive decided to take the plunge because of the ease of setup and plugging into the tele.
    I think ive decided on ps 2 cos i like driving and sports games which i think there is better/more variety than the xbox at the mo.
    Im thinking ISS, grand turismo etc.
    Only thing is, the cost of one new is higher than an xbox.
    Is it worth getting a 2nd hand one? Anything to watch out for?
    Not fussed about dvd, just playability.
    Ive also played most of the xbox ones on my pc ie splinter cell etc.
    Are they any good ps 2deals around at the mo?

2. forever

forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If interested I am selling my ps2, with 12 games.
    Like new...
    PM if interested

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    IMO xbox has the best racing game in Project Gotham Racing 2. You can race online, against other top scorers ghosts, so you can learn how to do the challenges better. ISS is coming out on xbox (i'm not sure but it's a rumour) Also there is topspin tennis, best tennis game ever, which is also online, links 2004, excellent online golf game, amped 2, outstanding online snowboarding game and several other online games. All part of the xsn network which means you can play online leagues and get a world ranking which is amazing.

The xbox controller is best for racing due to the rear triggers which are analogue and give the best intuitive racing controls besides a steering wheel.

The ps2 is the most expensive and least powerful console and doesn't have the features of xbox. To buy a hard drive for ps2 costs £70 and to get a network card for ps2 costs extra too.
    Both included with xbox.

would you buy a pc with a 266mhz processor over a 733mhz processor, with (similarly) a 32mb graphics card compared to a 64mb graphics card? That is the difference in graphical performance.

I probably sound a bit of a fanboy (probably true) but I have tried to be (slighty) unbiased.

PS2 has by far the greater range of games, but IMO if you are most interested in racing games then the xbox should be a no-brainer.

There is also sega gt online coming out soon where you can trade car parts online and race, and imo is looking more revolutionary and interesting that the IMO stagnated gran turismo series.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Agreed, the x-box has some fantastic driving games , PGR2 is amazing, midtown madness is a laugh! Seriously I'd reconsider your decision as the x-box is definitely the better console and far better value for money.

Andy

5. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh dear, just when i thought it was sorted.
    But dont u have to pay to go on line? (i have ADSL)
    Any good deals?
    dont seem to be many kids games either at the mo

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it's still valid, but when I bought my Live kit (for roughly £50), it came with a free year's subscription.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    You have to pay the XBox Live subscription, which IIRC is about £40 including a headset (every Live game supports in-game chat).

8. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is also Need For Speed (underground). Just got mine today, I'll let you know what I think later.

Oh and PGR2 is fun.

Emad

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Amazon.co.uk do the xbox live kit for £30 which works as £2.50 a month. Not bad for a years online gaming service eh?

As MS supports the games themselves, they provide the service, so it is a lot better than each game supporting their own service, as this would lead to EA which produce sub-par games having the best service, while other, smaller games would have poor service.

You can also get a two month free trial in all the "XSN" xbox online games so you are getting 14 months of online gaming for the price of twelve which works out even cheaper at £2.15 per month.

A lot better than paying £10 a month (roughly) for the MMORPG's on PC eh? :smoke:

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Depends on what you like playing, besides paying for a stateside subscription usually works out about 7 quid :p Besides you will have to pay a monthly fee for any MMORPG, whether it is PC, PS2 or X-Box (on top of your live fee I might add).

I don't think you are going to see any 16v16 multiplayer games on X-Box live any time soon, nor will you see 32v32. Which are free on PC, note PC users do not pay a live fee and have a much better selection of online games :p

One of the reasons why games like CS will never be as popular on the current incarnation of X-Box Live as it cannot support the players needed for a good match.

Depends on the service, Blizzards battlenet, EAs portal, Playonline is far better than X-Box Live.

Also, you miss out on the world of mods/skins etc. which are important for extending the life of games.

X-Box Live is a good service, but comparing it to an online PC will show it's very limited. You get what you pay for, you want a cheap online games machine buy an X-box, you want an expensive powerful online games machine you buy a PC.

Just wait until UT2004, Battlefield Vietnam, Soldner, Half-Life 2 etc come out :)

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You had to say PC didn't you :laugh:

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Xbox i sgoing to have the best graphics out of all the consoles and thsi may be very important for you, being on an av forum rather than a gaming forum.

There are some superb games available for all the systems now, the only one I would not reccomend is the GameCube, even though this is my favourite, as there is very little in the way of sports and driving games for it.

Even though there are loads of titles out for the ps2 you will only play the best version of a football game at any one time, at the momenet that would be Pro Evo Soccer 3.
    Problem is there are some absolutly superb back catalogue games for the PS2 that you can pick up now for around a fiver, and then you have GranTurismo 4 on its way etc.

Personally if you rule out the GC I would say that your best bet is the PS2, I know I am going to upset alot of people on here by saying that but given you taste in games I think that it would suit your needs better than an xbox.

I have all the current generation of consoles and the xbox is the one I use least, it is great for showing off games on a big screen but there is only a couple of games I enjoy playing on it, compared to teh ps2 and GC, I have around 8 games sitting there for PS2 that I neeed to get throuh and 4 for the Gamecube.
    My SNES gets used more than the Xbox, all I ever seem to do with the xbox is add roms and emus and generally mess about with it, I find that more fun then 95% of the titles available on it.

I would say get a PS2 and then when you realise how much you are into gaming get an Xbox for PGR2 and a few of the online titles :smashin:

also if you have another half to consider pick up and eye toy and karaoke revolution and she will consider it money well spent :devil:

13. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    this has typically turned into a xbox is better than ps2 topic
    hes already chose the ps2.
    ??

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I dont think it did, I think it is agreed by everyone that the xbox is a technically better machine than any other console, but it comes down to what games people like playing.

I said given his gaming likes, the PS2 would probably suit him more, I would love there to be loads of RPG's, Jap shooters, rythmn games, old skool style platformers etc. on the Xbox but there isn't, and probably never will be given the lack of Jap support for the unit, it is a shame as the xbox is the best machine, but then the 3DO and Jaguar were better than the SNES and the MegaDrive, and I remeber all the new 3DO owners laughing at the people buying SNES's ;)

15. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    Erm Solar... Did you read the title of the thread?

He also said I think ive decided on ps 2

It seems to me that giving him info on the other choices has been asked for.

16. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm now ive changed again back to xbox!

17. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Trouble is with the PS2 is that it doesn't have Xbox Live, never mind the graphics, 5.1, HDD etc.

Looks like it never will have either. Sony better address this with Ps3 or they may find themselves losing market share. There can't be many PS2 owners who a sneakily wondering what they are missing with XBL.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently debating sticking with Live once my free sub is up, and I'd probably be more inclined to pay a set fee for XBox Live than for any single game. I don't get a heck of a lot of time to play online games, so it's convenient to be able to fire up any of my Live enabled games on the same subscription.

If I was paying a monthly fee for a single game, then I'd feel like I was wasting my money if I played anything else. As much as I hate them, MS seems to have a good system going. And, according to another post here, it looks like Live will be getting Voicemail support in April. How cool is that?

19. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    thats the reason for this topic, not which is better :p

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Well a ps2 is £140 new.

Xbox is £130 with a free game.

I've got a second hand xbox and it's in good nick still.

Cost me £90 from gamestation.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Well the previous post isn't actually true as the Black PS2 is £124.99 and the Silver one is £134.99 from Amazon. With a PS2 you don't need to pay extra to play online and all the games i've played online - NFSU, SSX3, Tiger Woods2004 etc work perfectly. If you want to play the best football (PES3), Driving (GT4 (only prologue version at the moment)), stacks of great RPS's, the best beatem ups (virtua fighter series) then go for the PS2. Whilst the X-Box has a faster processor it is not fair to compare it with the E-Motion engine of the PS2. The X-Box processor is basically just a stock P3 chip running at 733 mhz. The PS2's processor is a custom built chip with an architecture developed specifically for games and although harder to program initially, has now come into it's own. Graphically the X-Box can display higher resolutions (if you have the TV to display these) and it comes with a built in hard drive, where as you need to buy one for the PS2. When modded you can play emulators, "backups", MP3 players etc on both machines. You can also mod the outside of both consoles via skins available on the internet. The power of a console doesn't make it the best machine...if that was the case I wouldn't still have a megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast set up to my games telle. The console is merely a nessesary evil that must be bought to play games and unfortunately you have to buy which ever ones play the games you wish to play. You could have a console with 100 times the power of the x-box but if it doesn't play GT4 then the best version of GT4 will be still be the PS2 version (the only version).

22. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No i bet you dont need to pay cos it's crap online, not in the same league as xbox live & you know it.

23. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horses for courses (again).

XBox for internet play.

PS2 for single player games, made in the only country that makes decent ones.

24. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please use the Gaming classified section of the forum. - mod

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I haven't played GT4 yet, but I bet you don't own an xbox, therefore haven't given pgr2 a fair go.

Xbox Live! helps take pgr2 from an astonishing game to an overwhelming game. As seeing as ps2 doesnt offer the level of online play and is incapable of producing, gt4 if it is online simply cant be as good as pgr2 online.

If they utilise the harddrive which is available for ps2 then it is capable of matching the xbox online service.

Never get anywhere close to the graphical "WOW" that i experienced playing pgr2.

I hope gt4 is better than gt3 as i didn't like that version and it wasn't imo as good as gt2 or gt.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I do not own an X-Box, simply because I have no need for one. I've played PGR2 on my mates box (online) and agree that it's a good game, with tidy graphics.

I have got GT4 Prologue on the PS2 and that is simply amazing! Driving the Citta Di Aria track in a Mclaren F1 is by far the best experience i've had in a racing game to date...simply awe inspiring! The game is already a lot better than GT3 IMO with better lighting/reflections (true real time lighting on the cars not just a change of palette from dark to light) and colours, amazing shadows (far better than in GT3), more detail, realistic moving spectators, amazing views outside of the circuit, better handling (much more realistic weight transfer), the grip is much more realistic such as when you put a wheel on the grass you really feel the car start to go. Correct shift delays on changing gear (happened virtually straight away on GT3 - this means that driving witth Manual Trans is now a must for better times), much better TCS system.

This version is 1ply only and has the license tests, races on 5 new circuits and time trials. Doing the licenses is fiendishly addictive :zonked:

The final game will feature 6 player online racing, about 50 + tracks and an estimated 1000+ cars! They seem to have learnt from the mistakes made in GT3 and brought the game back to something closer to GT2 with up to date graphics and better handling. With all respect to PGR2 (which is a good game don't get me wrong) it isn't in the same league as GT4 when it comes to the feel of driving a car. Really it is this game and PES3 that makes me keep my PS2. The 2 best games on any platform full stop IMO.

27. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    Apart from buying the network adapter. :lesson:

GT4 Prologue got a fairly poor 5 out of 10 in edge, compared to the respectable 8 PGR2 got. Edge may be totally up its own backside at times, but I've always found their reviews to be very fair.

It is entirely fair, although I concede it might not be relevant to compare them. The XBox is a stock P3, and the Emotion Engine is custom built? So what. Games are what matter, but if you do want to argue on the technicalities then let's be clear that it is the results that count and not what achieves them.

Yes the XBox may use "brute force" methods with it's CPU and graphics chip, compared to the more efficient and "elegant" methods of the custom PS2 setup - but it is pretty indisputable that the results from the XBox are more impressive.

28. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, as people have said, they are both good systems both with their own good games, ideally I'd have both! (and a £40 gamecube if they show up again!) But I am going for the xbox, especially as i have a broadband connection.

29. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They reviewed a demo and it got less than PGR2. Did anyone expect it to get a high mark? The full game will be far better than Prologue (or something is seriously wrong if it isn't...)

And, yes, I'm impartial on GT vs PGR2. They're both as boring as each other IMO:rotfl: :boring:

30. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    No, but when the original poster is saying The game is already a lot better than GT3 IMO and With all respect to PGR2 (which is a good game don't get me wrong) it isn't in the same league as GT4 then surely some sort of response and a reality check should be expected? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.