Another Plasma Myth ?

J80FAB

Before anyone laughs......... surely this isn't true !

I was in Empire Direct today.

Salesman was showing plasmas to customer. He mentioned screenburn/retention & then went onto the gas in the plasma screen.

He told them that if the plasma is placed above a fireplace for example - & I dare say above a radiator for that matter - where it will be exposed to heat the gas in the plasma will be heated up and agitated/energised when the screen is turned off !!!

I didn't listen to the rest of the 'gas being adgitated by the heat from a fireplace' saga because I thought he was talking a load of bull so walked away.

He was talking rubbish wasn't he :confused: :rolleyes:

kevH

Sometimes the plasma gas gets that hot when above a fire that the screen actually floats off the mount a bit like a helium balloon. We've had great fun chasing our screen round the living room !! :thumbsup:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Before anyone laughs......... surely this isn't true !

I was in Empire Direct today.

Salesman was showing plasmas to customer. He mentioned screenburn/retention & then went onto the gas in the plasma screen.

He told them that if the plasma is placed above a fireplace for example - & I dare say above a radiator for that matter - where it will be exposed to heat the gas in the plasma will be heated up and agitated/energised when the screen is turned off !!!

I didn't listen to the rest of the 'gas being adgitated by the heat from a fireplace' saga because I thought he was talking a load of bull so walked away.

He was talking rubbish wasn't he :confused: :rolleyes:
Hi
My Bruv has had his plasma above the gas fire for about 3 years now,still going strong!

ssjaronx4

Some salesmen will say anything to sell you a samsung lcd :) . I would if possible keep it away from a heat source though. Electronic components + heat isnt a good mix.

MAW

Banned
At least, if you have it above a gas fire, you have a source of gas at hand when it needs topping up. Otherwise, you might have to take other measures. I prefer the organic way, just eat baked beans, and let nature take it's course.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Sometimes the plasma gas gets that hot when above a fire that the screen actually floats off the mount a bit like a helium balloon. We've had great fun chasing our screen round the living room !! :thumbsup:

You might need to get a better fitting mount if it comes off that easy!

kevH

At least, if you have it above a gas fire, you have a source of gas at hand when it needs topping up. Otherwise, you might have to take other measures. I prefer the organic way, just eat baked beans, and let nature take it's course.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

SlinkDaddy

I had 2 new sales start for me recently that worked for a grey goods retailer that dabbles in TVs and they really thought that plasmas need re-gasing as did all of there colleagues in their previous store.

Bumtious

Banned
I guess they also think that you need to give a LCD a drink when the liquid evaporates if you install it above a fire place.:suicide:

kevH

I guess they also think that you need to give a LCD a drink when the liquid evaporates if you install it above a fire place.:suicide:

Jesus is that not the case ive been pouring milk in the back of mine every nite :eek:

Bumtious

Banned
Jesus is that not the case ive been pouring milk in the back of mine every nite :eek:

Thats fine as long as its skimmed, full fat makes it sluggish which reduces its response time leading to smearing. This is how Philips Pixel Plus works.:lesson: It also cleans the ambilight system.

kevH

Thats fine as long as its skimmed, full fat makes it sluggish which reduces its response time leading to smearing. This is how Philips Pixel Plus works.:lesson:

:D

SlinkDaddy

No they thought the sun shines out of any LCDs non gas leaking pixels! They really believed that LCD was far superior to plasma and that plasma was an old, dying format. Guess thats because their previous store only stocked LCDs. But it is annoying i have to hear people tell me every day that their mate who knows all about tellys said that plasmas are rubbish and LCDs are much better and its nigh on impossible to tell them the truth. Im almost getting to the point where i might just agree and sell them what they want. Better that than let them walk around the corner and get told what they want to here!

Nah i couldnt live with myself!

kevH

No they thought the sun shines out of any LCDs non gas leaking pixels! They really believed that LCD was far superior to plasma and that plasma was an old, dying format. Guess thats because their previous store only stocked LCDs. But it is annoying i have to hear people tell me every day that their mate who knows all about tellys said that plasmas are rubbish and LCDs are much better and its nigh on impossible to tell them the truth. Im almost getting to the point where i might just agree and sell them what they want. Better that than let them walk around the corner and get told what they want to here!

Nah i couldnt live with myself!

As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but it just keeps on gathering moss!" :confused:

J80FAB

Mmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

Well I guess those responses sort of answer my question :D

I've read various threads, some with pics of plasmas dangling above fireplaces & radiators & never come across what I heard that salesman saying today.

Shame I didn't stick around to hear his full explanation. but as soon as I heard him start spinning the myths it was time to make a quick exit !

Think I shall go and add Empire Direct to my list which also contains Currys as places where one should never buy expensive AV equipment from :D

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I take delight in disabusing people at work about this sort of crap. It's a fine line between looking a smartarse trying to make people look small and actually helping people though. I expect I wander over that line a lot.

=adrian=

mhsslinky said:
But it is annoying i have to hear people tell me every day that their mate who knows all about tellys said that plasmas are rubbish and LCDs are much better

I know that feeling! :eek:

MAW

Banned
I've given up now. As soon as a potential client tells me LCD is waaaay better than plasma, I realise he's done his homework, and aim for the door as quickly as politeness allows. There are applications for LCD, sure, even in larger sizes. My favourite quote on the subject, 'Against fools, the Gods themselves contend in vain'. If they've got a mate that knows all about tellys, there is nothing for me to add, clearly.

planet L

Standard Member

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom