Another Pio 434 question/problem

Aaahhhh now then, dont get me started on DVE!! :D

I had that the other day and had a right good play with it. It seems pretty good I must say, but, correct me if I'm wrong (I normally am), I couldnt see anything relating specifically to Plasmas and/or contrast. Have I missed something here? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rich :hiya:

Hmm, I just assumed it was too late in the evening and that I just hadn't found the bit referring to setting contrast on plasmas :)

It's a tricky one, alright. Perhaps someone knowledgeable like Gordon could wade in and suggest how to use DVE to set contrast...??

To be honest, I'm surprised there wasn't at least some mention of it. I really did think I'd just missed it.

Si

Guys,

If you check relevant recent threads in this forum (just pick up 434 subjects) you will indeed find that setting contrast is the only parameter that you cannot precisely do using VE, AVIA or THX opt.
Plasma nature!

Indeed! Still, I remember reading a while ago on the forum that Gordon had a suggested method for helping to set Contrast using one of the Avia tests. I can't remember the exact details (and haven't got time to search at the mo unfortunately) but I was wondering if there was some reasonable method to get things in the right ballpark.

After about 30 seconds looking at a test pattern, my eyes seem to forget how to work normally!!!

Si

Hi Diapason

Just wondering, have you turned off/down all the digital processing functions and compared it to when they are on? I've turned mine all to minimum now and will have a good look to compare before and after.

Cheers

Rich :hiya:

Any news on this issue.
i will be reporting this also since it's very irritating and can easily bee seen watching dvd:s, analog, etc.. It's really makes the picture much worse than it should be.

It's strange that more people can't see this, but i believe it's a matter of how critical you watch the picture, i wouldn't be surpised if all screen do have this problem just that some people don't see it. Or perhaps it is a matter of the screen version/problem.. Which would be great since then there should be a fix for it..

Anyone that have a hdmi connected dvd that do have this problem (even though i know about the discussion d-a-d) when using hdmi connection? perhaps its an analog issue only or??

It doesen't matter if you turn on or off any of the processing options

For those of you that does not see this.
When watching e.g. soccer you can easily see a "dirty tube effect" or "streaks/shadows".
The same disturbance/problem are still there when you watch a still image or not so much moving image, it's just a bit harder to see it.

Originally posted by wiped
Any news on this issue.

For those of you that does not see this.
When watching e.g. soccer you can easily see a "dirty tube effect" or "streaks/shadows".
The same disturbance/problem are still there when you watch a still image or not so much moving image, it's just a bit harder to see it.
DEFINITELY not on mine... as mentioned. I do watch a lot of football!
Surely this is NOT on all screens!

Also as mentioned earlier.......NOT an issue with my screen either and believe me im VERY FUSSY :D

Great info guys thanks.

Now it would be interesting to get info from someone who does have to problem and can test with hdmi to see if it makes any difference..

Another thing while we are at it...

############

When there are graphic displayed (let say some graphic with white background and some text that is 10 cm in height and covers half the screen horisontaly, do you then get the effect that the part of the screen not covered by the graphic (as if it would continue to the right or left, have some kind of ghost image or inverted image of the graphic? (gets brigher etc) if you have it you would know what i mean allthough it's hard to describe..
Perhaps this is a normal plasma issue but to me it seams like a processing issue???

I'm not sure if the effect is always there for example if there is a graphic that is coverign just 10-20 % of the screen horizontaly it seams like the effect isn't there, but when it covers half or more or something like it, it's there...

Hope this makes sense..

A similar effect can also be seen also you have 4/3 on and have like the ending credits of a film scrolling, you will see the effect in the gray bars to the sides. As each text line scrolls...
Or if you use the 4/3 settings and watch some normal tv you will see the gray bars to the right and left vary in brightness etc depending on what is shown next to them...

I would be happy if you say that this is some kind of issue where my eyes fool me but...

The effect is there with still images also so it's not something that is just there with moving images and it's not at all similar to the problem discussed here before. just so that is clear.

###########

another thing FYI
Had a service guy here this week which replaced my media box (much fewer drop-outs and now i can fast forward my vcr without the screen shutting itself of.. yes that actually happend with the first media box).
Anyway, he also listened to the buzzing the screen made and to him it was not as it should be it was to loud (this guy did know about the problem with the earlier model 433 and talked about some modifications or in some cases replacing the screen). He was going to talk to pioneer and get back to me, i'm confident this will be resolved as the words he said was "This is not right it shouldn't buzz this much, we will fix this"...

Wiped

Oh yes I had PRECISELY the same VCR problem with the first media box... all fine now and did not have a single drop-out 1.5 months after the box was changed.

Regarding the the gray bars on a 4/3 image on title credits, yes they are there BUT I do not necessarily believe this is the plasma. I employ two satellite receivers (non-Sky). I only see this problem with one of the receivers which is connected to Input 2 (S-video).
If I move this receiver to another input and change to RGB I do not see it. Additionally, if I move the other receiver to Input 2 and put it to S-video I can barely see a grey bar. In my case for sure one of the receivers is not as good with s-video and perhaps this type of connection could be a bit more "sensitive" for the plasma.
I definitely do not have ANY problems with RGB connections to the plasma with any piece of equipment.

Hi wiped,

I'm awaiting a replacement screen from Pio. They have one earmarked for me when the new batch arrives in Ireland. I really hope this solves the streaking issue, since it has now got to the stage that I'm simply not enjoying watching TV or DVDs. Having spent 7000 Euro, this is unfortunate to say the least!!

The thing is, I also need another new media box since the dropout issue is continuing. By the end of this, I suspect I'll have gone through 2 screens and 3 boxes. Still, I don't care if I get good picture at the end of it all.

Si

I'm sure they will see all of you right. They have a mission statement to become the dominant company in plasma, uk and worldwide. They will only do this with good products and good backup, and I'm sure they don't need me or anyone else to tell them that. But bear in mind any unhappy people, if you don't ask you don't get.

Hi MAW,

Thanks for your encouraging comments. As I've written somewhere else here, thusfar I have no complaints about Pio and there is every indication that they will not rest until I'm satisfied. This is one of the reasons why I bought a Pio in the first place -- I have a history of being unlucky with this kind of thing. I always suspected I'd have *some* problem, no matter which plasma I bought!!!

I also bought from a reputable guy who does custom installations (not unlike yourself I believe) and he's all about the customer service. He's doing all the dealings with Pio, and I *know* that he'll sort things out.

I suppose what I'm worried about is that the problems we are seeing are inherent in the model, rather than a symptom of a fault. I'm happy if it's a fault, but unhappy if it's a "feature". It's just easier for me to be paranoid and share wiped's thought:

"i wouldn't be surpised if all screen do have this problem just that some people don't see it"

That's pretty much what I was starting to think. It seems really unlikely, though, since people here are about as fussy as I've seen!!!

Cheers,

Si

Hello all
Update:

I did report the buzzing a few weeks ago and called back today to also tell them about the vertical streaks /shadowing problem.

1. They service guy told me that the pioneer service manager in sweden has taken over this case and will be calling me regarding the buzzing. Apparently they do pick some csaes especially when there are new screens and take care of them themselfs, this is good news to me since the guy at pioneer is the one that has the most knowledge of the screens in sweden...

2. I told the servicve guy regarding the streaks and he directly told me this.
- Yes we have seen this problem and the problem is that there are equipment placed ontop or below the media box which causes interfeerence, if so there are vertical lines/streaks that is in the picture .

He described the problem quite similar to the one i'm seeing which was good..

Anyway he told me that as soon as they moved e..g the dvd or other equipment 5-10 cm away the problem wasn't there..

He also agreed that the problem is very visible on e.g. soccer...

The problem is that when i try this the problem is still there, i turned off the power completley to all equpment around the media box without success.
I also asked them if the problem also could be in cable interference but he told me that NO it's just interfeerence in the media box...

Anyway i will be talking about this also with the pioneer service quy when he calls..

I will be testing this some more as i guess that this is the first suggestion the pioneer rep will have (move the media box) so i will make sure that i test this before he calls....

Thanks for the update wiped. Keep us posted!

I originally had my NTL box on top of my media box, but moved it in case that was causing problems. The media box is now on the bottom rung of a hi-fi rack, with nothing else touching it. I'll also try disconnecting other things and moving stuff around to see if it helps.

Delighted things are moving along!

Si

Update:

Talked to the pioneer rep today regarding the buzzing and the streaks and they will get me a replacement screen from a new batch (will arrive next week) and take my old screen for "investigation" to see if they can hear and see the problem...

After describing the problem with the streaking he told me it was strange and he didn't sound to familiar with the service guy theory regarding interfeerence from other equipment.
Since i hade one media box replacement and the problem is the same he's suggestion was that it's the screen and since the buzzing is not normal they will replace it.

Regarding the buzzing:
he first explained that these panels do buzz, because of the technique used..
however when i said that i can hear it 4 meters away and also easily can hear it and get disturbed by it when watching tv at normal volume levels, he said that it sounds to be to much, it shouldn't be that loud....

wiped,

Did you ever get that replacement screen? If so did it solve the dirty tube/streaking problem?

I'm getting a replacement screen and media box next week. Hopefully that'll be me sorted. I'll report one way or the other.

Si

Not yet.. still waiting, will update as soon as i get the new screen.

Good luck with yours.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom