Another Ph9 Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by duke748, Dec 28, 2006.

1. duke748

duke748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a new plasma and I must admit I was almost swayed by the 1080p hype, and was almost sucked into purchasing a Sony X2000 set, until I remembered to ask to see SD Footage and one of my skydiving DVD's which contains fast moving footage.

Result : Smear City ( Although my wife couldn't see it , so I guess some people are susceptible to it more then others ). I really felt gutted as my hopes had been high after reading the reviews

A friend of mine has a 42ph9 which I am impressed with and after a lot of consideration, I have decided to follow suit on the basis of recommendations of more knowledgeable people like MAW and purchase one of the PH9 Series.

I plan on buying a HDMI reciever such as the Sony 3200es so I can switch everything using the amp and just have the one HDMI cable going to the panel.

Now for the questions

1. Which do I go for - The 42 or the 50 ? Is the Increased Resolution 1368x768 and extra 8 inches of the 50ph9 really worth an extra grand based on my equipment ?

To qualify this - I am more then happy enough with the size of the 42 inch - The only justification for puchasing the 50" is better PQ and future proofing but as I have not seen one am relying on members advice here. Will the resolution be better for playing HD-DVDs - Xbox 360 etc ?

2. Is it worth buying a decent DVD player or will the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive be more then adequate for Normal Dvds as well

Connections :

1. Sky + ( Will probably invest in SKYHD at same time as panel )
    2. Xbox 360
    3. Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive ( On order )
    4. DVD Recorder ( Only used for archiving off Sky+ ) - Panasonic DMR-E50

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    I think you'd be better off posting this in the huge(!) PH9 thread....

Anyhow, my 2p's worth...

The 50" panel will not be any more future proof as the 42" panel. If you can accomodate the 50" then why not go for it! ;)

Alternatively, you could go for the 42" panel and with the difference saved (circa £1K) put that towards speakers, amp, sub, calibration, etc.

I'd personally stick with Sky+ for the time being. Still not enough quality HD content IMO.

The 360 HD-DVD drive will be more than suited for the time being. You may wish to have this as a stop gap until the technology/format war is a little more settled.

Steve :)

3. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    I myself find the xbox360 to be a very bad SD DVD player for PQ.
    This is when comparing PQ between my very old (4years) cheap (£60) pioneer dvd player and the xbox360...