• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Another Parking ticket thread.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Had a parking ticket dated back to the 24th August.

I remember there not being any ticket machines working that I could find but I don't want to contact one of these companies because in the past all you had to do was ignore it.

Is this still the case or do they have powers now ?

nheather

Distinguished Member
Had a parking ticket dated back to the 24th August.

I remember there not being any ticket machines working that I could find but I don't want to contact one of these companies because in the past all you had to do was ignore it.

Is this still the case or do they have powers now ?

They have had more powers for some years now. It used to be that they could only take action against the driver who incurred the fine, so by simply not cooperating there was little they could do. But quite a few years ago this was changed to allow them to go after the registered keeper if the actual driver could not be identified or was not presented.

The advice is still to ignore (assuming this is a parking charge not a fine like those issued by the council) and in most cases they can’t be bothered to follow it through.

Assuming it was a private car park, not a council one?

Cheers,

Nigel

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Its private I think. It says parking charge.

Smart Parking and the font is so small its laughable.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
It's a good scam though.
Ticket £5.
'Fine' £50.
Disable machine(s) and rake in the cash.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Ignore it 🤣 Seriously though theres plenty of private parking companies out there that are still operating and are making money due to the naivety of the public. Where were you parked?
I Was actually having a meeting with an employment solicitor over my job.
The car park is in Telford.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Is it fairly local? Local enough to revisit so you can check on the company involved and see if the notices are obscured/hard to see etc? If so take photos. Also if your notice has the name of the enforcement company then Google them and see what comes up. That's what I'd do. At least with a bit of research you can get an idea regarding their history and if their reputable? If their notices are obscured or defaced it will help you if you want to appeal. Good luck.

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
In my experience and from what I have read

• If you contact them explaining the reason they won't listen at all, you will simply be giving them more information, proof of your address, that you received it and that you are concerned about it.
  • If you ignore it you will get a stream of threatening letters with increasing charge each time. They will eventually change there stance, trying to offer you a carrot of reduced fees - this is usually a sign that they are giving up
  • Eventually they will either give up or they will take you to court (they have in a very small number of cases I understand)
Cheers,

Nigel

mjn

Distinguished Member
Alternatively you could contact them and contest the ticket. I contested two for my Dad and won both.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
From the reviews I am seeing online they are not answering the phones !
And one lady has the same issue as me with the same dates but a different car park.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Agreed. Ignore it until you get a court summons, but keep all correspondence and any evidence that the parking machines were not working.

If you contact them, do so by email and do not include any personal details such as your name or address, vehicle registration etc. only the reference number on the ticket. State you will only correspond by email and that letters or other documents sent by other means or to the postal address may not be answered without a long delay. Long rambling letters - ideally written in green pen and badly scanned to an image file and quoting bits of obscure legislation, requesting things like evidence of lost revenue, permission by the land owner to charge for parking enforcement, measurements of all spaces to make sure they were the right size, evidence that the machines are disability compliant - anything you can think of really.

If they don't respond to all your requests, simply write back and restate them. Once they know they are dealing with a total nutter, they will soon write you off as a bad job!!

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Maybe you could appeal because of how long they took to notify you.

OP didn't say, the ticket had only just arrived.
If it was posted to him and was dated outside of the legally required notice period from the alleged misdemeanor, that's all that's needed to reject it.
If it was attached to the car at the time, is different.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
OP didn't say, the ticket had only just arrived.
If it was posted to him and was dated outside of the legally required notice period from the alleged misdemeanor, that's all that's needed to reject it.
If it was attached to the car at the time, is different.
The date I used the car park was the 24th August.
I got the letter on the 19th September and the date on the letter issued is the 15th september.
What is the legally required notice period ?

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
OK
I am going to just ignore it and hope for the best.
It worked the last time but that quite a few years ago now.

Kwman

Prominent Member
I'm pretty sure private parking firms have more powers now and you can't simply ignore it like the old days..

A quick google came up with this link for more info

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Hmm this company is a member of the BPA which is listed.
I have called the solicitors who I was visiting at the time and they are going to call me back later.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Well the debt collectors letter turned up yesterday and price is £170.
We shall see what happens

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Google it and see if it is a real debt collection agency that works on behalf of multiple clients.

Or if it's a debt collection agency that only works for the parking company and is just the guy on the desk next to the one that sent you the previous letters.

joner7777

Prominent Member
Grrr.
Got a £35 ticket, parked over 30 mins in a 30 mins. No return in1 hour zone..Street.
Ticket issued at 16.40 ..I was in a Mc Donald's drive through in 16.31 on the reicpt.
If I challenge on line with pics of receipt and car , will I get off ? It's not the amount,it's principal,and they want us back in town centres!
I wonder if McDonald's would give me a car image with time ...... probably not !

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Grrr.
Got a £35 ticket, parked over 30 mins in a 30 mins. No return in1 hour zone..Street.
Ticket issued at 16.40 ..I was in a Mc Donald's drive through in 16.31 on the reicpt.
If I challenge on line with pics of receipt and car , will I get off ? It's not the amount,it's principal,and they want us back in town centres!
I wonder if McDonald's would give me a car image with time ...... probably not !
Something along the lines of:

"I believe this ticket has been issued in error and unlawfully. To the best of my knowledge, I had been parked in the street for less than 30 minutes, before I visited the local McDonalds drive through. I submit in evidence the receipt which clearly shows that I was present at McDonalds drive through - and hence, in my car, at 16.31, so therefore I contest the timing on the parking ticket based upon this."

The local council will have an informal appeals process first, often managed by a 3rd party contractor, followed by a formal process which is adjudicated by someone else within the council, followed by an appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

Most councils will allow appeal by email with attached evidence and some state that they will only allow 1 informal appeal before they issue the Notice to Owner (and trigger the formal appeal process), which is technically incorrect, as they can cancel proceedings on a ticket at any time, so if they refuse to cancel, email them a few more times reinforcing your point until the NTO arrives. This is because if you were to subsequently win at the tribunal, you could request costs if it's shown the council was being vexatious by refusing to consider your appeal at the earliest opportunity.

In this case, if you were not parked for more than an hour - and they may have photographic or CCTV evidence, so please don't consider fabricating any evidence of your own, you have not committed an offence and the ticket should be cancelled on informal appeal. They must tell you why they are not cancelling it and you can further challenge that reason. There's no such thing as a "slip rule" in terms of parking tickets as there can be with speeding tickets. Details on the ticket cannot be subsequently altered if they have been entered incorrectly by the parking attendant.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom