1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Panny AE300 review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dcullen302, Jun 20, 2003.

1. dcullen302

dcullen302

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi folks

well i jumped off the fence last week, ordered an AE300 from komplett.ie on thurs, got it on tues morning.

only running it on a plain old wall (off yellow) with no calibration or anything - great picture, lovely colour balance and more detail in dark areas than the hitachi cp-s225 i've been borrowing from work.
    indeed there's amazing detail overall, i can only imagine what a higher res projector would be like - the lobby scene in the matrix showed up every speck of dust and exploding bits of wall, it was almost like seeing it for the first time. monsters, inc. looked utterly gobsmacking.

i got out i-spy the other night and thought i was seeing some mis-alignment of the panels (there was a slight green edge down the right side of people's faces) - checked out a pile of other discs and couldn't see anything similar in any of them.
    since heard that on the i-spy disc "colours are well saturated but smear occasionally" (courtesy of my soon-to-be-a-pj-owner and internet-researcher buddy... cheers, supes) - which described what i was seeing perfectly.

after bouncing its way from oslo, norway, through copenhagen, london and finally to dublin, i was a bit anxious about in-flight damage but am happy to report there wasn't a thing wrong with it on arrival.
    i haven't seen anything resembling a dead pixel either - i've heard of test screens for checking each colour but haven't found them yet on the PJ menu. anyone point me in the right direction?

anyway, i'll post more after i've gorged myself on a ton of movies...

d

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the club ;)

The slight misalignment seems to be just the way the AE300 is so I wouldn't worry about it, if you are really noticing it you are possibly sitting a bit too close (I know I was when I first set mine up -- oooo biiiiigg :D )

Go to the options menu, highlight OSD and hold down select for a few seconds and it'll go into the service menu. The test screens are in the service mode.

-- Jon

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi

I have had 3 300`s and they all show the colour misalignment. Nothing to worry about. I have just started to use a component cable and I havent noticed this so much. Maybe I have got used to it or the component cable makes a difference. Anyway the picture on the 2 300`s I now have is amazing.