1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another PAL/NTSC thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hemifever, Oct 30, 2004.

1. hemifever

hemifever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that PAL shows a better resolution. Do specific DVD's utilize PAL and other NTSC? Do most do PAL? When I flip the switch on my Rotel 1060 DVD player the picture is normal one way, and split screen the other.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Typically, DVDs produced for USA, Canada and Japan are NTSC. Those produced for Europe and Australasia are PAL. Normally.

3. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I would like to know if it would be better to watch ALL dvd's in either Pal or NTSC?

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This has been discussed here many times & there is no definitive answer. Some will say the extra resolution of PAL is best but then others will say that the audio speed changing by 4% is too much of a price to pay etc etc.

That is not withstanding the fact that quality of transfer can vary greatly between each movie. Some films when brought out have a better picture in PAL & some in NTSC.

Of course if your player & display can't work with PAL or NTSC without conversion (ie it can't display NTSC it converts it to PAL60 to display) then it's a non issue with you as the conversion will inevitably be worse. Really you will also need a display that can have seperate programmable memories for each format following calibration to get the best out of them as they are so different. That is you want to have both types in your collection.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Do you mean, which are better DVDs to buy?

If yes, see vonhosen's reply.

Or do you mean - I have a mixture of US (or Japan) and European (or Australian) discs - how should I watch them?

In which case - the answer is

You should watch NTSC formatted discs using the NTSC picture structure of 60 fields/sec (hz) and 525 lines. How the colour is added has no material effect on picture quality, and is wholly irrelevant for RGB and Component connections. However, if you are using SVideo or Video, then there's no difference between 525/60/NTSC and 525/60/PAL (otherwise known as pseudo PAL or Pal60).

You should watch PAL formatted discs using the PAL picture structure of 50 fields/sec and 625 lines. etc.

The important thing not to do is convert the field and line frequency, unless your TV won't display it any other way. Whether your DVD player does this depends on model.

6. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Right, so it's best to leave the player on 'auto' and not force it to play NTSC as Pal or vice versa.

I did try playing a NTSC disc in Pal and this made panning shots very juddery.

I haven't tried playing a Pal disc in NTSC yet so can't comment on the outcome.

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    This suggests that your particular DVD player does a "full" conversion i.e. converts all three factors - lines/frame rate/colour method - which will always degrade the image.

For those whose DVD players do the partial conversion (from NTSC to Pal60) then it makes little or no difference. For those whose players do a full conversion, then, if your display device will handle both PAL and NTSC then auto is always going to give the best result.