Another Onkyo 875 Replacement Thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andori, Feb 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I'm toying with replacing my aging 875. The main reason being that the centre channel packed up towards the end of last year, so I'm currently running it 4.1 with a phantom centre. The fault appears to be in the pre-amp stage (or earlier) as the output from the pre-outs also shows the same problem of a reduced level. I've also had to replace the resistors on the display a few times as it did the old trick of blowing them.

Sources and speakers/sub are as per my sig, apart from the Panny EX75 has been replaced by a PC. As it is, all 4 HDMI inputs on both the TV and 875 are used, so ideally need at least 6 inputs to cope with all my gear. An Xbox One is likely to be added in the near future as well. Also I have been biamping the front 2.

Having had a bit of a poke around, to keep at the same level or better I reckon my options are something like:
    Anthem MRX-310, MRX-510, MRX-710
    Denon AVR-X4000, AVR-4520
    Marantz SR7008
    Onkyo TX-NR929
    Pioneer SC-LX57, SC-LX77, SC-LX87
    Yamaha RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030.

Budget would ideally be around the £1k mark (but could go higher), which does tend to discount quite a few of these. The AVR-4520 and SR7008 do appeal given current street price. The Anthems do look appealing, but I'd maybe be wanting to go with the 510, which is really pushing the budget :(

2. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I have the same problem I like the athem mrx 710 and the Denon avr 4520

3. smashmouse

smashmouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I will be watching this thread. I'm in the same position apart from my 875 being fully functional. I'm going to Bristol sound and vision show to see if any deals can be had. I've also been considering the arcam 380. To save money I've also been looking at the older yamaha models, 1020 at about £650 or the 2020 at £1k.

4. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I'm kind of liking the 4520 atm, but one area it is slightly limiting with regards to my setup is the number of input options. For sources I currently have:
    1. TiVo
    2. XBox 360
    3. PS3
    4. Blu-ray player
    5. PC
    6. HD DVD player
    7. Wii
    8. CD Player
    9. TV Audio Output
    The 4520 (as far as I can tell) allows you to assign 9 sources, which would use all these. As I intend to add an Xbox One in the not too distant future I'm going to run out (not allowing for a PS4 in the further future).

It's not a complete deal breaker as the TiVo should ultimately route through the Xbox One (if they fix the 50Hz issue, or I don't have a problem). The Wii could route direct to the TV and use TV Audio Output (not that we've used the Wii in I don't know how long). And long term I'll probably also retire the HD DVD player.

The Pio LX87 does look to have more available options for input source selection.

5. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Resurrecting my old thread after 6 months after it appears my 875 is now on it's way out :(

Looking to keep the budget down, the 7008 is looking favourite atm, though there isn't really much mention of them on here. The new 7009 does look good with the addition of Atmos and Spotify Connect (the older ones won't be upgraded to Connect apparently), but I can't really justify the additional cost atm.

I can always upgrade in the future, and shift whatever I get now to the bedroom :)