• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Another one of those benefit scrounger stories the DM ...

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
likes to drum up just to remind us the country is full of them .Putting aside this is just another extreme example one should bear in mind most benefit recipients lead very frugal lives because they have to but if the government wishes more of them to take on jobs then it must make sure they get paid properly otherwise there is no incentives for them.As they say if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, no proper incentives then you are not likely to get a job well done.Period!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299927/Sharon-Minkin-refuses-job-better-benefits.html

sidicks

Banned
la gran siete said:
likes to drum up just to remind us the country is full of them .Putting aside this is just another extreme example one should bear in mind most benefit recipients lead very frugal lives because they have to but if the government wishes more of them to take on jobs then it must make sure they get paid properly otherwise there is no incentives for them.[b[As they say if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, no proper incentives then you are not likely to get a job well done.Period![/b]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299927/Sharon-Minkin-refuses-job-better-benefits.html

If she would turn down a job paying £40k because it would make her financially worse off then either taxes are too high or benefits are too high or (most probably both).

Sonic67

Banned
"I bumped into my mate in the pub last night who was looking a bit glum, so I asked him what was up.

"Well, I can't afford anything anymore so I've had to cancel my golf and gym memberships, my Sky TV package and have to cut down on fags to 20 a week" he sighed.

"Because of the recession?" I asked.

"No" he replied. "I've been forced off benefits and made to get a job."

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
"I bumped into my mate in the pub last night who was looking a bit glum, so I asked him what was up.

"Well, I can't afford anything anymore so I've had to cancel my golf and gym memberships, my Sky TV package and have to cut down on fags to 20 a week" he sighed.

"Because of the recession?" I asked.

"No" he replied. "I've been forced off benefits and made to get a job."

oddly enough i know someone who has done the reverse.Got a job after two years on incapacity benefit then decided the four pounds extra she was receiving was not worth the pressure and harassment she was receiving so she is now back on the sick."Good" I said to her "dont make your life miserable on the back of a bunch greedy exploitative bastards.It will negatively impact on your health anyway"

sidicks

Banned
oddly enough i know someone who has done the reverse.Got a job after two years on incapacity benefit then decided the four pounds extra she was receiving was not worth the pressure and harassment she was receiving so she is now back on the sick."Good" I said to her "dont make your life miserable on the back of a bunch greedy exploitative bastards.It will negatively impact on your health anyway"

Yes, it's good to scrounge off the state even if you can work....
:nono:

IronGiant

Yeah, oddly enough, you've told us about it many times... :rolleyes:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member

So she is defrauding us since she doesn't deserve to be on the sick.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Makes you wonder who the bigger fools are here: The people who actually bother to go out to work & put up with the day to day crap, or the people like her who opt out and become parasites.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Don't suppose that works both ways with you.

i just think she is taking full advantage of the state as any should given similar circumstances.Its certainly not fraud by any means.She had a very bad case of colitis a couple of years back so she has to be very careful as stress could easily reignite it

karkus30

Banned
la gran siete said:
i just think she is taking full advantage of the state as any should given similar circumstances.Its certainly not fraud by any means.She had a very bad case of colitis a couple of years back so she has to be very careful as stress could easily reignite it

So, now, those who pay their required amount of tax ?

sidicks

Banned
la gran siete said:
i just think she is taking full advantage of the state as any should given similar circumstances.Its certainly not fraud by any means.

Why should she take advantage??

la gran siete said:
She had a very bad case of colitis a couple of years back so she has to be very careful as stress could easily reignite it

Yes, I'm sure that's how the rules work - if you have had some sort of illness at some time in the past that means you are totally entitled to benefits on the off chance that the disease might otherwise return if you tried to work...

Gee, I've no idea who writes the scripts for the LGS troll, but surely even he's becoming too far-fetched these days?!.
:facepalm:

karkus30

Banned
la gran siete said:
as we all do of course.I was very grateful myself when i needed benefits almost 20 years ago .Pay into it ,get something out as and when

Ok I thought you were unhappy with all those people with registered offices in other countries, I must have been mistaken.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Ok I thought you were unhappy with all those people with registered offices in other countries, I must have been mistaken.

you mean bankers and tax avoiders? well yes of course as we all pay into the system it seems reasonable they should too.After all marginal tax rates go some way to redressing the balance taking a small lump form the manifestly overpaid and using it to improve the lives of those who are exploited

Last edited:

sidicks

Banned
la gran siete said:
you mean bankers and tax avoiders? well yes of course as we all pay into the system it seems reasonable they should too

:suicide:

christopher576

Established Member
They should launch a system that lets you pay in and if you need it, gives you access to that amount. No more no less.

Any welfare payments, other than serious cases of disability, should be given in return for 20 hours of community service. Optional of course. But compulsory if you want the states money.

Just my thoughts!

BomoLad

Prominent Member
I think it's a fantastic conjuring trick by the right wing media to convince people that those on benefits are scroungers and work-shy. I think I'm right in saying the vast majority people people on 'handouts' are people in work who claim tax credit to top up their earning.

Yet the debate is always on the workshy. It's the equivalent of convincing people the obesity crisis is down to too many people eating salad and that if we stopped all the salad, people would get healthier.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
I think it's a fantastic conjuring trick by the right wing media to convince people that those on benefits are scroungers and work-shy. I think I'm right in saying the vast majority people people on 'handouts' are people in work who claim tax credit to top up their earning.

Yet the debate is always on the workshy. It's the equivalent of convincing people the obesity crisis is down to too many people eating salad and that if we stopped all the salad, people would get healthier.

Precisely , which is why I believe the media should be forced to issue disclaimers to the effect that these are isolated cases of abuse and that the vast majority are bona fide claimants.Unfortunately these sort of scurrilous stories feed popular prejudice .I have known legitimate benefit recipients who were subjected to abuse from members of the public simply because at that time they were claiming benefits.Outrageous!

sidicks

Banned
la gran siete said:
Precisely , which is why I believe the media should be forced to issue disclaimers to the effect that these are isolated cases of abuse and that the vast majority are bona fide claimants.Unfortunately these sort of scurrilous stories feed popular prejudice .I have known legitimate benefit recipients who were subjected to abuse from members of the public simply because at that time they were claiming benefits.Outrageous!

I am sure you would also be in favour of similar disclaimers regarding the 'rich' who evade tax etc??

We wouldn't want you to come across as inconsistent or hypocritical, would we...?
:confused:

The fact is, regardless of whether this type of benefit 'abuse' is in the minority or not, it is totally unreasonable.

Further, if it was such a minority then there would be minimal adverse impact if the rules were tightened up to ensure it couldn't happen in future!
:smashin:

Last edited:

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
of course i am not suggestiong we should be encouraging those who are abusing the system but for the thousands out there struggling to make ends meet ,such as single parent families,there really should not be an issue. In a spirit of cooperation and shared responsibility ,we should be glad to help them through our taxes particularly the marginal tax payers who, in turn, should accept the market is overpaying them so it is only right they make the contributions they are required to make.:lesson:

sidicks

Banned
la gran siete said:
of course i am not suggestiong we should be encouraging those who are abusing the system but for the thousands out there struggling to make ends meet ,such as single parent families,there really should not be an issue. In a spirit of cooperation and shared responsibility ,we should be glad to help them through our taxes particularly the marginal tax payers who, in turn, should accept the market is overpaying them so it is only right they make the contributions they are required to make.:lesson:

Top trolling LGS!
:facepalm:

karkus30

Banned
BomoLad said:

That's true, but no different from the story that the 45% tax rate is a pay rise for millionaires. The welfare bill has grown massively and we are running a deficit while the overall public debt/spending is increasing. What do you think should be cut ?

Is the answer to do nothing and let the debt and deficit grow to the point where the interest payments on the deficit exceed the entire public sector cost ? To a point when all those pensions and the NHS are unserviceable ? Do we stop education? Disband the forces ? These are huge amounts we are talking about, the current interest payment is greater than the entire budget for education or defence and that's at ultra low interest rates. GDP and output is flat, tax coming through the treasury door is flat, yet spend is increasing.

Its the old three men in a balloon scenario. There is too much weight. Do you simply sit and do nothing and all die, or do you accept that someone has to go ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom