1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one of those advice topics... please help :)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pixelated, Mar 6, 2005.

1. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi all!

I posted a while back regarding buying plasma etc etc... and then eventually got into projectors and said I was getting one of them etc etc... I think i'm going back onto Plasma again because they're more versatile, more reliable and no bloody 1hr lamp life! Not to mention I love the Plasma I already have.

I went into Bang & Olufsen in Manchester yesterday and got a very thorough demonstration. I loved it all. Except the price... the PQ was superb, the sound was superb... but the price... 50inch was £7100 for the screen but you apparently HAD to buy the Beosystem something or other for £5000 or it wouldn't work!! 42inch was £5100. Plus the speakers etc and it came about that all in all for the 42inch package with £1950 knocked off It'd be £9800 excluding DVD player. B&O's dvd player is £750 :-/

So tempted, but no :D lol so... can anyone recommend what is *generally considered* the best plasma out there? I have a TH-37PE30B and I love it, so I like Panasonic a lot. However i'm looking for at least 42inch but 50inch would be better (but please recommend the best 42inchers as well please :) ). I've heard the Pioneer 435XDE/ the 50 inch one is very good, but I looked at the specs of it and it seems to have a quite low contrast ratio? Or am I wrong? :)

Another thing... I'm looking at the Mordaunt-Short Genie speaker system - you recommend that or not? I'm looking to spend £800 on speakers, preferably subs/satellites .... up to £800. Would these need one of those AV Receiver things? (my knowledge is very low on this side of things) Or an Amp? :confused: :confused: denon? yamaha? no idea...

Hmm what have I missed... dunno how much to spend on a DVD player lol Recommendations? Either buying it 15th march or 15th april :D

If I've forgotten anything please do say ... :)

Cheers,

Stu

2. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    anyone help? pleeease... after a few opinions etc :)

Stu :lease:

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Stu,

To get some real help you need to give us a budget. The B & O @ £9,800 plus DVD player was evidently too much!! You already have a Panasonic plasma so know they are good but there are other contenders out there.

£2,000 will get you a really good standard def plasma with cables to make the best of it, £3,000 gets you into hi-def territory, but £800 for sound isn't going to do the overall system justice - if you are spending this sort of cash on the screen you need to be looking at a minimum of £1,500 for the sound. DVD players - many will say a £200 player does the business - I don't agree - with a screen of the quality that you seem to be thinking about you are looking at about £800 to do the job properly.

Don't buy without viewing / listening to a demo. I'm not that far from you....

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Quick tip beosystem 2 is a scaler (not avery good one) and the screen is a panny TH-50PHD7.total price inc ISF should be £5kish (50% off) (wont have flashy bezel or analogue tuner) but will be HD compliant (need the scaler) will look better, consider an Arcam DVD deck

5. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks for your replies

Well as for budget I'm not really locked down to a specific - but £9,800(excluding DVD player!!) is madness, £5100 for the screen, £5000 for the thing and something or other (they knocked nearly £2000 off tghe price you see, speakers free or something)

I think £1500 is too much just for speakers - if you meant £800 for speakers and the extra for an amp/receiver or whatever it is I may need then perhaps... It would have to be very, very special though considering the reviews I've read of the Maurdant-Short genie speakers and a Denon receiver I've seen (if needed) :) At this point I really don't think I'll be spending £1500 purely on the speakers... I wish!

As for the screen... hmm. Maybe £2500-3000 for the Plasma. But I may stretch to more than that if it's really worth it :) So I may stretch to more but I'd really need a good demo of it lol Not sure how much I'd stretch to, but we'll see...

Unfortunately I won't be buying any £800 DVD players at this stage... as much as I'd love one, I think a cheaper one may be a good alternative just for now. Can't stretch DVD budget to £800 :(

The speakers are ideally going to be satellites by the way hence why it probably won't come up to £1500 purely for those :)

If we work towards £2500 for the screen, good possibility of £3000, little chance but MAYBE of slightly more... up to £800 for speakers and IF i need a receiver/amp/whatever please advise... know nothing about them... if I don't need one then maybe the speaker budget could be stretched.... maybe not to £1500 but it could be a little bit :p

HornyDragon... what's this scaler thingi? :rolleyes:

Cheers to the both of you

Stu

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A scaler is a video processor £800+ and the HUB of your video system size wise was the 50" the right size or too big?

7. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Bloody hell, never even heard of a scaler before... lol

And I loved the 50inch. To be honest if the main purpose was to watch EastEnders then the 50inch would be too big, especially for the room. However as it's main purpose is home cinema, the 50 is ace.

I was almost certainly getting a DLP projector but I thought considering how much I love current plasma that is downstairs... and since I've started a job as an IT Trainer in a school nearby... and bloody hell projectors can be very unreliable at times. Especially lamp life... what is a £2000 buy now, might be £2500 in 6 months and so on. Or so it seems anyway :)

So 50 is what I'd love to get in a plasma, I just think they're more versatile than projectors. I don't really want to watch phil mitchell at 120inches you see, but I do want to watch TV :)

... sorry for rambling, 50 inch was great :p lol 42 inch I may end up, but would prefer 50. Don't think I'll be getting a projector but who knows I guess :rolleyes:

Stu

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so 50" around £3.5k scaler £1000 cables bits and boards etc £400 mount £150
    £5050 before we get to sound, (can leave scaler out if budget is really tight! but it is worth the extra) add £500 for install calibration and while still below B&O price it is still a lot of money.....

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Stu,

I have got almost everything here on demo that you seem to be interested in looking at (though 42" plasmas, not 50"), including a ThemeScene H57 DLP projector and a Lumagen scaler. I also have Anthony Gallo speakers (though the ones I have are a bit more than your budget). An A/V receiver is essential and though the Denon 3805 that I have is going to be too expensive their cheaper ones are still good.

10. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi again

Horny - it is indeed, like I said.,.. may end up with 42 inch... as for the scaler, do most people spend the extra £1000 on the scaler? :rolleyes: because I'd personally never have even thought about it... :eek:

Mr P, I've been reading What HiFi? magazine and they seem to rate the Denon 1905 very highly (product of year in 2004...), the 2105 highly too. Both 5/5 so surely they really are good?

From going on the RRP listed in this magazine... Mordaunt Short Genie - £800 (speakers not set in stone but price point is around that :) ) receiver £300-£400 for 1905 and 2105. £1300-£1400.

TV... need help here, minimum of 42inches, max of 50inches. £2000-£2500-£3000 would be quite ideal :) Can increase slightly as I mentioned earlier...

Piers - do you just charge the RRPs or can you do special deals etc.

Cheers

Stu

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Stu,

I probably can't match some of the loony prices being offered by certain internet retailers but can probably do well below SRP. I am not allowed to quote actual prices on here due to forum rules. I have already suggested to you at least twice that you come and look at a properly set-up plasma, DLP projector, scaler, A/V receiver, quality satellite speaker system - come on man, get in the car and see with your own eyes!!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Stu to see the value of a scaler you need to see it in action, Piers is only 2 hour drive from madchester nice daytrip one sunday ;)

13. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hehe don't worry - not bothered about the internet prices :)

I'll see what I can do - certainly if you can beat the prices of the manchester sevenoaks (which i'll have to find out what they currently are, bloody don't show the prices of everything on their site anymore :|) then i'll certainly try and get there closer to the day i'm buying (will hopefully be either march 16th or april 16th (payday is the 15th of each month :p )

Stu

Horny - sooo technically if i never ask to see a scaler I won't miss it? :D nice way to save £1000 ;) hehe...

14. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Stu,

What I am offering is the chance to see what can be done with plasma (or DLP projector) when it is set-up properly. There are only a very few places in the UK where that is possible. If you don't want to get tempted by a scaler it won't be demo'd but I like to show folk what can be done with all the toys!!

15. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading & learning about these scalers coupled w/the Plasma displays is one of my main reasons for lurking around on this Forum. Although I'd really like to personally visit Piers to see this matchup for myself, due to obvious reasons this ain't gonna happen. Please feel free to descriptively post away on your experiences w/your scalers & Plasmas. I'm all eyes & ears! :D

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Using a scaler to match broadcast res to plasma res I'd consider now to be virtually essential at 50". Lots of issues to deal with, the new Fujitsus it appears will take only 720p not native, though they will do this at 50Hz. The Panasonics will accept native @ 60Hz, with FRC judder, the pioneers with a nearly 1000 video card will take native @50 Hz with HDCP, perfection at a price! You need a chat through these, and what is most important to you. With a scaler, the ability to accept native res is key for me, it seems there can be only 1.... I daresay panasonic will let us all down in August, they will most likely enable 720/50 and nobble native!

17. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    My boss isn't here so may phone you some point today mate, definitely need a chat through the options... if there is no lesson in the class i'm sat in next then i'll give you a ring about it... bloody can't decide with any conviction between plasma and projector and decide with any conviction of how much to pay for either!!

Stu