1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one for the Panny TH42PE30 owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by abinormal, Aug 24, 2004.

1. abinormal

abinormal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After years of struggling with crap analogue TVs, I've decided to splash out on a TH42PE30 :clap:

Inevitably, there are questions :rtfm:

Does the freeview tuner have a slot for a smartcard so I can get the pay channels?

Also, I see the TV has progressive scan. So does my DVD player. What's the difference? Do I use both in conjunction or just one (which).

Thanks,

Abi :smashin:

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can not view a prog scan image if your display does not allow it.

My DVD player can outputs prog scan signal when this option is selected. However, the panny automatically detects and displays this. You can only get the prog scan via the component input on the panny display.

I don't know about the freeview question as I have sky+, there is a card slot which allows photos etc to be displayed.

3. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Pioneer DV-575 dvd player and connected last night to my 42PE30 - and the progressive scan pic is amazing :smashin: - sharp, detailed and flicker-free.

4. baccus

baccus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CIM slot on the Panasonic does not support the 'Freeview' and other pay TV channels! When i bought my TH37PB30 the salesman told me it did but it doesn't and Panasonic have no intention of making it so. It's just for software upgrades and the like. If you want freeview your'e going to have to buy a set top box i'm afraid. I can can recommend the Thomson DTI2300 which has just been released, 2 scarts and digital audio o/p, £79.99 from Argos and INdex but if you shop around you'll probably get it cheaper?

Shame Panasonic don't want to make the CIM compatible, but if enough of us pester their Customer Services Dept then maybe they'll change their minds??

Barry.

5. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i think previous posts are miss leading the viera sets have built in dvb tuners and a cam slot which allows upgrade abilty for freeview or any other digtal service provided down the ariel, this could be top up tv or a new system if freeview stopped trading also third parties could make a cam module for top up tv overall this makes afuture proof system as long as companys make the upgrades
    regards red

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    There is a CAM slot for a Common Interface around the back on the Viera's. This can be used for decoding 'Pay' Freeview Channels. I haven't tried it yet but it's there. The encryption used on Freeview used to be based on Seca 1, so there should be no problem sticking one of those conditional access modules and a card to get it all working.

7. baccus

baccus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spoken to freeview and Panasonic regarding the CIM and you cannot use their card to access their channels? From the horses mouth? There may be ways round it i don't know about though? I hope i'm not being misleading?

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    What encrypted channels are there on Freeview ? Do these channels actually issue official cards for decryption on the Freeview platform. I have not heard of any channels that do and that maybe what they are trying to allude to ? I have a CAM anyway so I may try with a few experimental cards later ?

Talking to Panasonic depends on who you get through to. Tech dept can sometimes be like from the 'horses mouth', customer services is most definitely from the 'donkey's ass' :rolleyes:

Last time I spoke to them they were adamant the component socketry on the back of the Viera was Composite and that I should be using Red/White/Yellow composite cables. Not Component cables. :suicide:

I have never heard of a Common Interface slot to be used to update software. That's a new one on me and I've been into satellite and receivers for nearly 15 years.

If I was you I would take anything they say with a bucket of salt and try it for yourself first :)

9. baccus

baccus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking to Panasonic depends on who you get through to. Tech dept can sometimes be like from the 'horses mouth', customer services is most definitely from the 'donkey's ass'

ha ha ha......I will admit they were not that helpful. I'm going to go home tonight and take my freeview card out of my set top amd try it in the CIM. I won't be happy if it does work(after shelling out for the set top)!

10. baccus

baccus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried my freeview topup card in the CIM last night and it didn't work?

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Baccus I don't understand, where exactly did you put the card in the Viera ? There is no such slot on the Viera to take a naked card so I'm at a loss as to guess where you have actually inserted it ?

You say you have a Thompson box, but that has a slot in built already and a mediaguard decoder internally ?

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I don't have a Top Up card to be able to clear a picture on encrypted channels but I have done the following logical test to see if the Viera does work with a CAM.

I have stuck in a CAM (Conditional Access Module) around the back. Aston Mediaguard SECA 2 compatible.

The Viera fully recognises it and so that works. That's all fine as expected.

I go to an encrypted channel and the Viera tells me simply this is an encrypted channel. That's all fine as expected.

I now stick in an old ON digital card that I have into the CAM. The card is an expired subscription one so I don't really expect it to work at all. However the encryption form ON and Freeview remains based on Mediaguard.

Now when I go to an encrypted channel it tells me the name of my CAM and it also tells me that I have no rights to watch the channel. So the Viera is actually trying to clear the picture through the card. That's fine all as expected.

I don't have a live Top-up Freeview card to test. But from what I have tried tells me the Viera recognises the CAM and when I stick a card in there it is trying to talk to it, enough to know it is an expired one ! This all tells me the Viera will work with a CAM and a live card. I just dont have a Live card subscription to be able to clear the picture at the moment.

I am though still at a thorough loss as to where you have inserted the card on your Viera if you don't have a CAM ? :confused:

13. baccus

baccus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mistake, i didnt realise that you need a CAM? for the card, i thought it fitted striaght into the CIM? I think i'm getting confused between a CIM and a CAM? Totally confused now??*!!

14. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    now we are getting somewhere lads i think for people may interested in buying a viera plasma we can agree this system is very flexible and offers a fair amount of future proofing,having said that its a shame ekko or baccus can not borrow a card or a cam to try it out or panasonic sort make it.
    regards red.

15. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Red, I have no doubts whatsoever that the Viera works with Top Up TV.

Baccus, I think someone has led you up the garden path a bit in order to sell you a Thomson Freeview box. You really don't need to get another DVB tuner if you have the Viera already. :lesson:

All you need is one of these, Aston Seca CAMS's. Your top up card slides into this thing and then you slide the whole CAM with card in it into the slot into the back of the Viera.

http://www.hisat.com/twp/show_products.asp?stock_cat=30

The going rate is usually £40 new but you can pick them up maybe 2nd hand for cheaper. Saves you having yet another box to plug into the plasma and keeps everything minimalised, as it was designed to be on the Viera.

The Viera really is a well thought out all in one Plasma. Tough act to beat really.

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Baccus, just to clear up your confusion a bit.

The slot around the back is called a CI slot. Common Interface. It is basically a PCMCIA compatible slot that you slide in CAMs based on this design.

A CAM is a Conditional Access Module. Depending on what type of encryption you are dealing with you have to get the appropriate CAM. In the case of Freeview they use a Platform known as Mediaguard encryption format 2.

Into the CAM you insert your subscription card. The CAM is the device that actually decodes the encrypted channel, the card acts as the key.

The reason why Panasonic have not incorporated an inbuilt decoder similar to what you have on the Thomson is down to flexibility. In future there is nothing to stop Freeview Pay channels to switch to another form of encryption other than Mediaguard. There are many different ones out there. The reason why they may wish to change is usually down to Piracy, because some encryption systems are prone to being cracked and can be accessed by illegal pirate cards.

So, if Freeview did wish to change, it wouldn't make your Viera redundant at all. You would only have to buy the appropriate CAM. Or in the case of a STB, have to buy a completely new STB.

Hope that helps.

17. abinormal

abinormal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for the replies so far - I'm getting there slowly :thumbsup:

I like Ekko's CAM idea, I'll definitely look into that and report back if I get it working.

Just one follow-up question - how good is the plasma's digital tuner with weak signals. The signal I get is pretty weak and my current STB (old Philips OnDigital box) struggles a bit. The picture is OK for a while, but then I'll get periods when it breaks up, freezes and goes all blocky. If the weather's bad, I quite often get the red dot of death. Has the technology moved on much since the ondigital days or is a weak signal still a weak signal? :confused:

Thanks.

Abi