OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Easy....because some people have different viewing habits than others.

Banding is nothing to do with viewing habits, its a set-up out of the box issue that several people had. The TVs are manufactured in ways that can (and do) cause variations. Burn in is obviously part of this variation - as rtings has showed with their burn-in test that had one set display worse burn-in than another. Including this snippet which shows that there can be a variation in the manufacturing process.

We contacted LG regarding the strange results in week 4. LG engineers visited our lab a few days ago and were able to confirm the 25% window on the Live CNN and FIFA 18 TVs are a result of a factory issue (see our video here). OLED TVs are produced in a hot process, and after cooling a 25% window is shown on each panel. Some TVs which haven't cooled completely can produce invalid results for the lookup table used by the 'Pixel Refresh' function, causing this 25% window to become visible. Only some 55" OLED TVs were affected during part of 2017.

Banding is nothing to do with viewing habits, its a set-up out of the box issue that several people had. The TVs are manufactured in ways that can (and do) cause variations. Burn in is obviously part of this variation - as rtings has showed with their burn-in test that had one set display worse burn-in than another. Including this snippet which shows that there can be a variation in the manufacturing process.
I'm sorry...I read it wrong. I thought you actually meant burn in instead of banding because you quoted me. My bad. But I don't understand......how my comments have anything to do with banding? My entire discussion has been about burn in and I don't believe I have even alluded to banding?

I'm sorry...I read it wrong. I thought you actually meant burn in instead of banding because you quoted me. My bad. But I don't understand......how my comments have anything to do with banding? My entire discussion has been about burn in and I don't believe I have even alluded to banding?

my point there is that burn-in does seem to vary between sets, some are more susceptible to it. So there must a variation is the manufacturing process, and that is provable because of the variation in banding that some sets show.

The process to make these is obviously very complex and has enough variability to it, its not like they put each pixel in with a robot, they're laid out and evaporated in a process that is controlled but undoubtedly not controllable enough to produce perfectly identical panels.

TBH if you have such a concern about burn-in after your experiences, and the replacement burns in too, then a buy a QLED (which I'm sure you'll be happy with). But rtings has shown that general use doesn't produce burn in for years, their tests show the red pixel burn out quicker, so the CNN logo they are testing it with eats it up fast.

I got burn in after 2 years on my b7 2 years seams to be the magic burn in number got it replaced with a b9 only time will tell if it does happen I'm done with oled

TBH if you have such a concern about burn-in after your experiences, and the replacement burns in too, then a buy a QLED (which I'm sure you'll be happy with). But rtings has shown that general use doesn't produce burn in for years, their tests show the red pixel burn out quicker, so the CNN logo they are testing it with eats it up fast.
Little condescending to expect people to simply buy another set after they shelled out thousands on an OLED that doesn't last but two years.....no? People spend hard earned money on a product that is marketed to last 100,000 hrs/several years. LG should have marketed OLEDS's for streaming services only and are not intended for viewers who watch news or sports. Then your flippant attitude of "buy another set" would be somewhat justified.
But yes....if the second one burns in...which no one can logically explain why it won't....then if LG will not repair it for free then an LED will have to be purchased.

Different thread same topic...

The sooner we all just except 'ALL OLED TVS CAN BURN IN' the sooner we can move on.

It's purely down to viewing habits and settings.. There is no magic OLED that's Burn in proof. But it does explain why some seem to last longer than others.

Panasonic believe the main cause of wear is HEAT, and this is why there OLED TVs have been designed to keep the Panel cooler than other brands.
An interesting thought.

FYI....LG just told me that they would repair my 2 year old LG OLED65B7A at no cost to me even though it wasn't covered under warranty. I didn't have to argue, scream or push hard at all. I would assume they no about these problems and are repairing those who experience burn in. Anyway...thought I would pass along the info.
BTW...I live in the USA.
It may be a little condescending but you seem like a habitual whiner. They fixed your damn TV.

From most of the posts here, its looking like Currys TeamKnowHow purchases are all well protected?

Different thread same topic...

The sooner we all just except 'ALL OLED TVS CAN BURN IN' the sooner we can move on.

It's purely down to viewing habits and settings.. There is no magic OLED that's Burn in proof. But it does explain why some seem to last longer than others.

Panasonic believe the main cause of wear is HEAT, and this is why there OLED TVs have been designed to keep the Panel cooler than other brands.
An interesting thought.
I find it interesting that Panasonic are installing a metal plate behind the screen , you can bet their not doing it on a hunch , they must have some evidence that it will help .

I find it interesting that Panasonic are installing a metal plate behind the screen , you can bet their not doing it on a hunch , they must have some evidence that it will help .

It’s not just Panasonic. If you look at OLED mastering monitors they tend to have big heat sinks and large noisy fans. Suggests the half life curve is true within a certain thermal envelope.

If so that may also mean tickers are a bigger issue then DOGs. Since they tend to be at the bottom of the screen. Where most of the electronics are. And also they cover a large area of screen, making it harder for pixels to get the heat away (since adjacent pixels are also lit up).

Time has changed. Electronics is more fragile now. Including LCD TVs. What's the sense to keep old tv so long?

Because if it's working fine why replace it?

That brand new set you buy with all the bells and whistles will be old news in a year or two.

It’s not just Panasonic. If you look at OLED mastering monitors they tend to have big heat sinks and large noisy fans. Suggests the half life curve is true within a certain thermal envelope.

If so that may also mean tickers are a bigger issue then DOGs. Since they tend to be at the bottom of the screen. Where most of the electronics are. And also they cover a large area of screen, making it harder for pixels to get the heat away (since adjacent pixels are also lit up).
A year or so ago I was looking at Oleds in a store and realized some of the screens were very hot compared to others which seemed strange as they were all showing the same content , My Oled at home always feels rather cool but as it is a Sony A1 most of the electronics are built into the stand which leans away from the screen but also I have it set at a modest brightness . Not sure if these things make any difference or not .

Last edited:
Seems that way,a good number of people have had new screens/replacement sets from Currys, although one guy did have to take Currys to court over his burn,he did win in the end,and did seem like a lot of hassle . Wouldn't bother going to court myself over a tv
From most of the posts here, its looking like Currys TeamKnowHow purchases are all well protected?

The review of the Panasonic GZ2000 at flatpanelshd is interesting. Panasonic's use of a heat sink may reduce the possibility of burn in - which it turn implies that heat is a significant contributory factor to burn-in.

"Normally, we can provoke temporary retention through the use of our test patterns for calibration. This retention will disappear again soon after. GZ2000 seemed almost immune to our torture tests. Even after long test sessions with a 1000 nits static window there was no retention to be found on the panel - not even on a grey verification pattern. "

Sony's professional 1,000 nit OLED reference panel is very deep. This extra depth may include space for passive cooling such as a heatsink. Whatever passive cooling it may or may not have, it also uses active cooling fans.

sony-bvm-x300-30-inch-4k-trimaster-el-oled-critical-reference-monitor-5_1_1.jpg

The review of the Panasonic GZ2000 at flatpanelshd is interesting. Panasonic's use of a heat sink may reduce the possibility of burn in - which it turn implies that heat is a significant contributory factor to burn-in. (Of course - eliminating temporary image retention does not prove a reduction in the possibility of burn in - but it may be a positive indicator of better burn-in resistance.)

"Normally, we can provoke temporary retention through the use of our test patterns for calibration. This retention will disappear again soon after. GZ2000 seemed almost immune to our torture tests. Even after long test sessions with a 1000 nits static window there was no retention to be found on the panel - not even on a grey verification pattern. "

Sony's professional 1,000 nit OLED reference panel is very deep. This extra depth may include space for passive cooling such as a heatsink. Whatever passive cooling it may or may not have, it also uses active cooling fans.

The review of the Panasonic GZ2000 at flatpanelshd is interesting. Panasonic's use of a heat sink may reduce the possibility of burn in - which it turn implies that heat is a significant contributory factor to burn-in. (Of course - eliminating temporary image retention does not prove a reduction in the possibility of burn in - but it may be a positive indicator of better burn-in resistance.)

sadly the price of these sets is a bit overkill.

It may be a little condescending but you seem like a habitual whiner. They fixed your damn TV.
And you seem like an habitual corporate hawk by trolling every OLED burn in thread and pasting the same BS over and over.
BTW...they haven't fixed my TV yet but that is not the point. The point of this thread is to let others know who are considering purchasing an OLED that OLED TV's have a serious problem and to be aware. And judging by the comments and numerous other threads....I am correct.
Sorry if that fact upsets you to the point that you are now spewing nonsense that if you "fear" burn in...then you shouldn't buy one. That's damn comical coming from you since if you were correct in your assertion that the majority of OLED's don't burn in, then you should want every naysayer to purchase one since they will be happily surprised. No?
For those potential consumers who are thinking about shelling out a few thousand for a possibly defective product.....I would think reading these threads are useful.....unlike your input that is of no use to anyone except LG.

The insignificance of burn in or burn out with new OLED TVs is due primarily to two things. The quality of the manufacturing process has been greatly improved and the heat given off or the rate at which this heat is dissipated away from the TV. Whether it is the increased aperture ratio, decreasing the brightness, decreasing the electrical current, the resistance, etc. everything comes back to how these decrease the amount of heat given off or how the heat is convected away from the panel.
Joules Law: H = I2 x R x T

Last edited:
The insignificance of burn in or burn out with new OLED TVs is due to two things. The quality of the manufacturing process has been greatly improved and the heat given off or the rate at which this heat is dissipated away from the TV. Whether it is the increased aperture ratio, decreasing the brightness, decreasing the electrical current, the resistance, etc. everything comes back to how these decrease the amount of heat given off or how the heat is convected away from the panel.
Joules Law: H = I2 x R x T

The insignificance in the C8 and C9 series is impossible to evidence until time has elapsed so that we can judge whether they will develop burn in.

Most burn in reports seem to occur after 2-3 years and as you might be able to figure out, 2018 and 2019 sets haven't been in consumer's hands for that time period yet.

The insignificance in the C8 and C9 series is impossible to evidence until time has elapsed so that we can judge whether they will develop burn in.

Most burn in reports seem to occur after 2-3 years and as you might be able to figure out, 2018 and 2019 sets haven't been in consumer's hands for that time period yet.
It was rare with the C6 and C7 models also. The only place there is a significant problem with these TVs is on YOU TUBE and Forums.

It was rare with the C6 and C7 models also. The only place there is a significant problem with these TVs is on YOU TUBE and Forums.

Sorry. This is when your posts start to sound pathetic and rude. People post their experiences of burn in on the forums and you write them off as only an issue which exists on forums and youtube. Its rude, ignornant and annoying.

If you're going to say stuff like that, just don't visit the forums.

Its very telling than burn in is an issue on OLEDs given on the same forums, there is no mention of burn in on the LCD parts over the past year whilst there is a myraid here.

I get you like to troll and play devil's advocate but please show some sembalnce of respect. If you're going to disregard and discard opinions based off of members on the forum (and youtube), I think you'd be better served taking your trolling and unopinionated opinions to the real world where these issues doesn't exist.

Sorry. This is when your posts start to sound pathetic and rude. People post their experiences of burn in on the forums and you write them off as only an issue which exists on forums and youtube. Its rude, ignornant and annoying.

If you're going to say stuff like that, just don't visit the forums.

Its very telling than burn in is an issue on OLEDs given on the same forums, there is no mention of burn in on the LCD parts over the past year whilst there is a myraid here.

I get you like to troll and play devil's advocate but please show some sembalnce of respect. If you're going to disregard and discard opinions based off of members on the forum (and youtube), I think you'd be better served taking your trolling and unopinionated opinions to the real world where these issues doesn't exist.
I didn't say that nobody has experienced burn in. I just said it was rare and insignificant. There are very few people who have reported burn in on Forums and You Tube compared to the millions of OLED TVs that have been sold.

The problem is that certain members embellish the burn in problem on You Tube and Forums. Again I am not saying that you or others haven't experienced burn in, but I am saying that burn in gets blown way out of proportion on You Tube and Forums.

If you read what the experts say you will find out that burn in is rare from 2016 and onward. You have criticized me before for relying on what the experts say. We just use different sources to draw our conclusions.

Last edited:

Those fans aren't just there for show, I hear they are bloody noisy, so they must be shifting a lot of air.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom