OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Good point.

My Sony sets are 49", friend with the 65XE9405 I find no where near as good.

Follow up from above.
My wife and I were talking and I think we are at the point where after we get the new screen...we may sell it as a perfect OLED TV and use the money for an LED. I mean....honestly my old eyes probably won't notice too much. My parents live in an apartment on my property and they just got a 55 inch LG LED for $450 and the picture looks damn good for normal viewing. What do you all think?
Last night I watched a LG 55UK6500 IPS TV at my son and laws house in a dimly lit room. The TV looked very good.

Reliability, viewing angle, and cost are the main differences between most TVs. Especially if you don’t game or watch your TV in a dark room. If you don’t study the differences between TVs you would have a hard time noticing the differences between the 55UK6500, low cost TV, and the high end TVs.

Rtings.com in their Best TV reviews says, “Be careful not to get to caught up in the details. While no TV is perfect, most TVs are great enough to please almost everyone, and the differences are often not noticeable unless you really look for them.”

So why do we always want that new TV? Because marketers make us think we need more.
“We must shift America/Europe from a needs to a desires culture…. People must be trained to desire, to want new things, even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must share a new mentality. Man’s desires must overshadow his needs.”
Jeremy Lent (A Wall Street Banker) from A Patterning Instinct

Last edited:
I got my friend a Samsung 7100 58 inch lcd and set it up.It actually blew me away the image it produced,Is OLED worth the extra,At £2999 I’d say no but my E7 was £1499 for a 55 inch and at that price yes it’s worth it.

Follow up from above.
My wife and I were talking and I think we are at the point where after we get the new screen...we may sell it as a perfect OLED TV and use the money for an LED. I mean....honestly my old eyes probably won't notice too much. My parents live in an apartment on my property and they just got a 55 inch LG LED for $450 and the picture looks damn good for normal viewing. What do you all think?
Reliability, viewing angle, and cost are the main differences between most TVs. Especially if you don’t game or watch your TV in a dark room. If you don’t study the differences between TVs you would have a hard time noticing the differences between a mid range, low cost TV, and the high end (expensive) TVs.

Rtings.com in their Best TV reviews says, “Be careful not to get to caught up in the details. While no TV is perfect, most TVs are great enough to please almost everyone, and the differences are often not noticeable unless you really look for them.”

Sometimes talking about the differences in TVs brings more pleasure than the actual differences in the TVs performance.

Last edited:
BTW guys....look at my burn in on post #86. Do you notice that the mute symbol is burned in? Can you believe it? I mean....i may hit the mute button once a week when the phone rings or for some other reason but definitely not a lot. That tells me that these screens will burn in with very little time of a static image. Not an extended amount of time like we are told.

BTW guys....look at my burn in on post #86. Do you notice that the mute symbol is burned in? Can you believe it? I mean....i may hit the mute button once a week when the phone rings or for some other reason but definitely not a lot. That tells me that these screens will burn in with very little time of a static image. Not an extended amount of time like we are told.
Getting a little out of control. We get your point.

Last edited:
Its hard to explain burn from something so short term as the mute symbol , my Oled has been exposed to this morning show for around 2 to 3 hours every morning and has over 8000hrs on it and no burn in . Not saying it wont happen . 9now.jpg

Reliability, viewing angle, and cost are the main differences between most TVs. Especially if you don’t game or watch your TV in a dark room. If you don’t study the differences between TVs you would have a hard time noticing the differences between a mid range, low cost TV, and the high end (expensive) TVs.

Sometimes talking about the differences in TVs brings more pleasure than the actual differences in the TVs performance.

I'd say aside from the budget supermarket brands, reliability is very similar. Atleast it's not disperate enough to be a key driver in ones decision. Everything breaks, but the likelihood is you will get several years of good use out of most decent brands. The manufacturer would just be digging themselves into a big hole otherwise, dealing with consumer complaints and repairs. Especially with something as large as a TV, which is difficult to ship back and forth.

Personally I'd say a step up in FOV is the biggest improvement in most cases. Everyone will notice that. Despite most of our critical/important viewing being in the evening with the lights out, I'd say the big step up in FOV (we went 65" from 50") delivered the greatest improvement to the viewing experience.

Getting a little out of control. We get your point.
How? It's a valid point that dispels the notion that burn in only happens if you have a static image displayed for multiple hours at a time....day after day. Apparently it happens from the display navigating LG's built in controls. IMO....this show just how susceptible these displays are to experiencing burn in.

I'd say aside from the budget supermarket brands, reliability is very similar. Atleast it's not disperate enough to be a key driver in ones decision. Everything breaks, but the likelihood is you will get several years of good use out of most decent brands. The manufacturer would just be digging themselves into a big hole otherwise, dealing with consumer complaints and repairs. Especially with something as large as a TV, which is difficult to ship back and forth.

Personally I'd say a step up in FOV is the biggest improvement in most cases. Everyone will notice that. Despite most of our critical/important viewing being in the evening with the lights out, I'd say the big step up in FOV (we went 65" from 50") delivered the greatest improvement to the viewing experience.
Reliability is questionable with certain brands. If you buy a LED Hisense or LED Vizio TV you are twice as likely to experience problems in the first 5 years than if you buy a OLED Sony TV.

I agree with you on the size of the TV. Most people will be happier with a 65" mid range TV than a 55" mid range TV.

Last edited:
How? It's a valid point that dispels the notion that burn in only happens if you have a static image displayed for multiple hours at a time....day after day. Apparently it happens from the display navigating LG's built in controls. IMO....this show just how susceptible these displays are to experiencing burn in.

It shows how susceptible your particular display was. Without further statistically significant sample data it doesn't show anything else.

You're drawing conclusions on the basis of meagre evidence. I once had a PSU failure on a TV in the first day, I didn't conclude from that every other TV of the same model was susceptible to PSU failure within a day.

Interesting test video:

Guys on here that have has burn-in issues, do you leave on standby as suggested towards the end of this video?

Interesting test video:

Guys on here that have has burn-in issues, do you leave on standby as suggested towards the end of this video?

Yes people on other threads have confirmed they leave it on standby so it can run the compensation cycle. I don't think the issue is related to that. I'm pretty sure someone who had a repair mentioned thats one of the metrics LG check before replacing the screen.

Thought I would post an update. LG called me and immediately said they would cover my repairs, free of charge even though they say my burn in is not covered under warranty. I didn't have to argue or push at all. They simply gave it up right off.
First, I am happy with their customer service and their concession to repair my 2 year old, out of warranty screen. But...that says to me that they must know this burn in is a problem. I hope they treat everyone the same.
Second...and last, I am very worried about this simply happening again in the next two years. Let me ask....will the repair include some sort of software upgrade that will prevent this from happening again? If not, I am tempted to sell it as soon as it is fixed and simply but an LED again. I know the picture may not be as good but to my eyes and viewing room....it will still be damn good.

You were lucky, LG flatly refused to replace my panel, took on average 5-10 days to respond to emails and never rang me back when I first contacted them and was told they’d call me back the next day, I rang back the next day close to closing time for their customer service department and was again told they’d call me the next day - which also never happened. They didn’t respond to my questions regarding why it mostly seems to be the Red pixels that wear out first if this is a User causes issue.

Luckily RS have offered to help, but LG are an absolute disgrace in the way they’ve handled my issues - and it seems others too.

Those of you without issues on your OLED and Implying this has been caused by ourselves, there are now enough examples to say that isn’t the case.

I’m also not going to put much stock in those performing burn in tests who have a reason to keep on a manufacturers good side either. The public are doing the testing and the results are on here and YouTube for everyone to see.

My burn in started to appear about 18 months after purchase. So the newer models may be affected but its to early to tell at the minute.

I’m also not going to put much stock in those performing burn in tests who have a reason to keep on a manufacturers good side either. The public are doing the testing and the results are on here and YouTube for everyone to see.
I wouldn't take these tests as gospel either but at least they state what their picture settings are and the type of content viewed which can be helpful to others who are trying to prevent burn in .

You were lucky, LG flatly refused to replace my panel, took on average 5-10 days to respond to emails and never rang me back when I first contacted them and was told they’d call me back the next day, I rang back the next day close to closing time for their customer service department and was again told they’d call me the next day - which also never happened. They didn’t respond to my questions regarding why it mostly seems to be the Red pixels that wear out first if this is a User causes issue.

Luckily RS have offered to help, but LG are an absolute disgrace in the way they’ve handled my issues - and it seems others too.

Those of you without issues on your OLED and Implying this has been caused by ourselves, there are now enough examples to say that isn’t the case.

Are RS going to replace the screen free of charge? I'm in a similar situation, is there anything in particular you said that got them to help you out? Thanks.

I wouldn't take these tests as gospel either but at least they state what their picture settings are and the type of content viewed which can be helpful to others who are trying to prevent burn in .

Yeah agreed, I was aiming my comment more at those who were using RTings and Vincent Teoh’s tests as proof those affected have somehow ‘abused’ their sets.

It shows how susceptible your particular display was. Without further statistically significant sample data it doesn't show anything else.

You're drawing conclusions on the basis of meagre evidence. I once had a PSU failure on a TV in the first day, I didn't conclude from that every other TV of the same model was susceptible to PSU failure within a day.
I'm not offering a scientific study result....and BTW....neither are you. I am on a public forum and I am offering others my opinion based on real world experience and reading others experience. I am doing my best to warn others of my experience and IMO....let others know they may be in danger too.
But since you brought it up...tell how my screen would be a "one off" or a rare inferior product when all of the screens are built from the same manufacturing process to the same specs by robots? Are saying my substrate is inferior? My organic film wasn't sprayed on correctly? The evaporation process was faulty? Or anything else? IMO....those issues would have been noticeable right away. Not after two years. The more logical conclusion is that all of these screens are just as susceptible as another.
Also.....your comparison of an OLED screen to a faulty power supply is not a good example because power supplies have hardwired circuits that could fail when others may not. Cold soldered joints, etc....

I'm not offering a scientific study result....and BTW....neither are you. I am on a public forum and I am offering others my opinion based on real world experience and reading others experience. I am doing my best to warn others of my experience and IMO....let others know they may be in danger too.
But since you brought it up...tell how my screen would be a "one off" or a rare inferior product when all of the screens are built from the same manufacturing process to the same specs by robots? Are saying my substrate is inferior? My organic film wasn't sprayed on correctly? The evaporation process was faulty? Or anything else? IMO....those issues would have been noticeable right away. Not after two years. The more logical conclusion is that all of these screens are just as susceptible as another.
Also.....your comparison of an OLED screen to a faulty power supply is not a good example because power supplies have hardwired circuits that could fail when others may not. Cold soldered joints, etc....

Well actually I am offering a scientifically sound approach. You are relying on anecdotal evidence based on a meagre sample to draw a sweeping conclusion. I didnt comment wether the conclusion was correct or not, I simply highlighted it is erroneous to draw such conclusions without a statistically significant sample. Do you see the difference, I hope you do now I've clarified?

WRT differences in panels, well if you've seen peoples 5% slides it is clear there are differences between the panels. They don't all roll of the line exactly the same.

Any of the possibilities you've listed could result in a variation in potential for burn in between panels. As could several others, such as compromised OLED material, compromised thermal performance, issues with the array that drives each pixel, etc, etc.

You can go ahead and draw your "logical conclusion" based on your meagre sample if you wish and your belief this a simple product to knock out with every panel running of the line 100% identical.

I think most would agree, it's a complex product. One that Samsung and all the other manufacturers gave up on, due to yields that weren't economically viable. And that your logic is clearly flawed given we aren't inundated with people with burn in. According to your logic, every major manufacturer bar Samsung must be stupid, because they are busy shipping millions of panels that will come back and smack them in the face in 18 months.

Time will tell if your "logical conclusion" is correct wont it? Because there will be millions of burnt in panels very very soon!

LG B6 65" nearly 3 years old. Screen burn from a mix of Sky News & Sky Sports News banners.

Purchased from Currys. Logged a support case with Knowhow, TV collected on 31/12.

TV written off today due to replacement panel not available within their SLA.

LG C9 65" offered as replacement (was expecting the B9) or a voucher for £1850. Stuck with their offer of the LG C9 over another brand due to HDMI 2.1 support. C9 was out of stock. I've got to wait another week or so for it to be delivered.

The B6's "black glow" issue was annoying me more than the burn in, So i'm chuffed with the outcome of a new C9 on its way soon.

I would say OLEDs are quite delicate tvs.They won’t last 5 years plus with normal use.
Mine went after 2 years with something LG designed to keep the panel uniform and band free.
A lot more people are posting with issues on here and it’s only going to get worse.Lets hope newer panels will have a better life span.
I mean really,don’t watch this don’t watch that don’t leave this on for too long and don’t pause it and now don’t mute it hahaaaa if it wasn’t so funny you’d cry.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom