OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

It is useless trying to convince these guys. They are like President Trump and his followers here in the United States. You provide them with scientific facts (consumer reports reliability data) and they call it "fake news", since it doesn't support their misinformed views.

All of the experts agree with what Atomicus says, "One thing that seems abundantly apparent is that while by no means should it be suggested that burn-in doesn't exist, the problem is nowhere near as widespread or as much a certainty as some people fear and/or lead others to believe. Were that the case, we would be seeing thousands of posts, on this forum and every other, with furious consumers reporting burn-in and TV's rendered unwatchable as a result. This clearly isn't the reality."

Many of the scientists and OLED experts nowadays go as far as to say OLED technology has come so far that Burn In is essentially a non issue.

I tried to talk science to them and explain how Joules heating has been greatly reduced, but they are more interested in senseless chatter rather than science and technological improvements.
I think most people take issue in your insistence that burn in is rare...and while you may believe that, it is definitely debatable.
What scientific facts? Quoting specs on OLED technology does not equal scientific facts that prove there is no fear of burn in. If there was solid scientific evidence that "normal consumers shouldn't "fear" burn in ....as you say....the "normal" would be defined.
So define "normal" viewing? Again...I ask....how many hours of a static image will cause burn in? Also...explain why news banners cause burn in when the banner never last more than 10 minutes at a time? It's not like the banner stays on like an object in a gaming situation. No banner should EVER cause burn in unless it stays on for countless hours at a time. Hell.....I had my Plasma for a decade with my same viewing habits without issue.
The bottom line is that there are countless examples of people experiencing burn in. "Countless" doesn't mean infinite. Just means that a Google search produces a lot of people complaining of this issue and would "scare the hell out of me" as a future consumer. I know I will never make the mistake again until I know that the situation is fixed.

It's ironic you're criticising him yet stating opinion as fact yourself.

What we know is some people have suffered burn in from normal viewing. It's a leap based on opinion, not fact, to suggest the "truth is" to avoid this one must refrain from watching material with logo's, etc.

Given the half life of an OLED emitter, nor is there any technical reason that burn in will be an endemic problem.

Time will of course tell. But if the sky is falling as some on here suggest. And the half life figures are not accurate. Then every manufacturer bar Samsung are in a crap load of trouble. Because in 2 years there will be millions of panels with burn in. What I can't seem to fathom is why would every manufacturer bar Samsung be increasing production, with that eventuality starting them in the face?
You do know that Samsung actually made an OLED screen. Yep...but they didn't pursue it because they were afraid of the known burn-in issue. Seems like they were smart after all....

You do know that Samsung actually made an OLED screen. Yep...but they didn't pursue it because they were afraid of the known burn-in issue. Seems like they were smart after all....
The reason Samsung didn't make an OLED TV was because of the manufacturing cost. Their manufacturing techniques and type of OLED panel wasn't profitable. LG has a patent on their type of OLED panel technology. If this wasn't the case Samsung would use LGs technology and make OLED panel TVs. Samsung does make OLED cellphones. Right know they are trying to catch up to LG.

Last edited:

LMAO 😂

You do know that Samsung (and all the other manufacturers) were trying to make RGB OLED work. All the rest gave up before going to production. Samsung gave it a very brief go, but gave up due to very high production costs and inability to improve yield to the levels needed to make it viable.

LGD were the only ones that succeeded as they instead went for WOLED. They were lucky/clever enough to see potential in Kodaqs approach and snapped up their OLED division/patents. Using this approach they were able to get yields and production costs to a level where large form OLED displays for consumer TV's were viable.

Go have a read perhaps :)

Moreover, Samsungs failed foray into OLED, only serves to support my point. Samsung very very quickly pulled out. (Some suspect they only released to muddy the water for LG, with whom they have more then a commercial rivalry).

LGD are actually producing huge numbers, increasing production every year and have every major manufacturer bar Samsung (because of the aforementioned rivalry) buying their panels.

If your claims and those of others on here are true, why? Why are LG and every major manufacturer bar Samsung pumping out millions of TV's that will come back and smack them in the face in 2 years? Samsungs example highlights what would normally happen in such a circumstance. Any major manufacturer would very very quickly pull the product. Because the cost and reputational damage would be crippling, possibly even terminal.

They made a rgb oled panel where as lg oleds are wrgb, they stopped making it as their yields were terrible and the panels were all failing, they didn't stop making them due to burn in.

Please remember oledExpert my E7 didn’t have burn in after 4,300 hours veiwing and gaming in two years.My panel suffered severe banding after a 2000 hour pixel refresh.
The engineer put a red slide on and I saw all the tiles from my Sky Q planner so those pixels were wearing out quicker but there was nothing in content that showed but it was on its way.
If I get two more years out my new panel I’ll be happy so that’ll be 4 years in total.
I never use hdr in games or films as I’m terrified of the Oled light at a 100 so I’d say I do protect my panel I am careful.With lcd Id watch anything with no exceptions including hdr but I darent watch hdr on my Oled for fear of pixel wear.

Please remember oledExpert my E7 didn’t have burn in after 4,300 hours veiwing and gaming in two years.My panel suffered severe banding after a 2000 hour pixel refresh.
The engineer put a red slide on and I saw all the tiles from my Sky Q planner so those pixels were wearing out quicker but there was nothing in content that showed but it was on its way.
If I get two more years out my new panel I’ll be happy so that’ll be 4 years in total.
I never use hdr in games or films as I’m terrified of the Oled light at a 100 so I’d say I do protect my panel I am careful.With lcd Id watch anything with no exceptions including hdr but I darent watch hdr on my Oled for fear of pixel wear.
You have my empathy. It must be terrible living with that kind of anxiety and fear.

@OLEDExpert what exactly is your agenda and please can you let us know what credentials you possess in order to warrant your username?

@OLEDExpert what exactly is your agenda and please can you let us know what credentials you possess in order to warrant your username?
How I come to my Expert Opinions.

I read scholarly articles on OLEDs. You can google these.

I read what 5to1 says (he is very knowledgeable) before I respond.

I read what these experts say and if they unanimously disagree with your opinion I usually discard your opinion.
From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

Atomicus of Chichester
One thing that seems abundantly apparent is that while by no means should it be suggested that burn-in doesn't exist, the problem is nowhere near as widespread or as much a certainty as some people fear and/or lead others to believe.

Last edited:
Ah, you have no credentials at all. Thanks for confirming that.

As that is the case I shall make my own opinion on your agenda.

He's far from an expert let me tell you. Went straight on my ignore list, and in nearly 10 years of being on here he joins only 1 other!
He is on my ignore list too. And the first I have ever put on the list.

I have now followed suit on the ignore option.

Im now popping over to the C9 thread to try and understand why I’ve got such an horrendous lip sync issue. *** I love my telebox but it’s driving me mad.

What the?.... bwahahahaha!!! 🤣🤣🤣😂

LGOledBurnCream.jpg

The reason Samsung didn't make an OLED TV was because of the manufacturing cost. Their manufacturing techniques and type of OLED panel wasn't profitable. LG has a patent on their type of OLED panel technology. If this wasn't the case Samsung would use LGs technology and make OLED panel TVs. Samsung does make OLED cellphones. Right know they are trying to catch up to LG.
OK....I'll take your word for it instead of Ced Yuan from Trusted Reviews. Start at 8:50.

LMAO 😂

You do know that Samsung (and all the other manufacturers) were trying to make RGB OLED work. All the rest gave up before going to production. Samsung gave it a very brief go, but gave up due to very high production costs and inability to improve yield to the levels needed to make it viable.

LGD were the only ones that succeeded as they instead went for WOLED. They were lucky/clever enough to see potential in Kodaqs approach and snapped up their OLED division/patents. Using this approach they were able to get yields and production costs to a level where large form OLED displays for consumer TV's were viable.

Moreover, Samsungs failed foray into OLED, only serves to support my point. Samsung very very quickly pulled out. (Some suspect they only released to muddy the water for LG, with whom they have more then a commercial rivalry).

LGD are actually producing huge numbers, increasing production every year and have every major manufacturer bar Samsung (because of the aforementioned rivalry) buying their panels.

If your claims and those of others on here are true, why? Why are LG and every major manufacturer bar Samsung pumping out millions of TV's that will come back and smack them in the face in 2 years? Samsungs example highlights what would normally happen in such a circumstance. Any major manufacturer would very very quickly pull the product. Because the cost and reputational damage would be crippling, possibly even terminal.
Wrong. See post above.

OK....I'll take your word for it instead of Ced Yuan from Trusted Reviews. Start at 8:50.

Ced Yuan is a Technical Product Manager at Samsung. It is good to get Samsung's view on OLED Burn In of LG TV panels.
Ced does have some good information in this video. If you watch your TV in a dark room or have a viewing angle greater than 30 degrees then an OLED TV is going to be far better than a Samsung VA panel TV. If you have become accustom to the viewing angle of a plasma or a OLED TV then the small viewing angle of a VA panel TV can really irritate you.
In smaller size TVs the viewing angle of VA panel TVs can go as low as 15 degrees. If your viewing angle is greater than 15 degrees you may want to go with an IPS TV since OLED TVs aren't available in the smaller sizes.

Last edited:
LMAO 😂

TBH LG didn't have much to lose reputation wise in the TV market.

They were known as having the crappest TVs. Now with OLED, they're known to having the best.

Everyone else pussy-footed around because they didn't want to take a risk when they already had a decent slice of the pie.

It used to be Panasonic for PQ and black levels, Sony for motion and Samsung for style and OS.

LG were known as the crap brand. Then they totally re-invented themselves and now they have the best OLED panels with the best OS. Honestly my hat got off to them, they totally smashed it and leapfrogged everyone.

How I come to my Expert Opinions.

I read scholarly articles on OLEDs. You can google these.

I read what 5to1 says (he is very knowledgeable) before I respond.

I read what these experts say and if it disagrees with your opinion I usually discard your opinion.
From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

Atomicus of Chichester
One thing that seems abundantly apparent is that while by no means should it be suggested that burn-in doesn't exist, the problem is nowhere near as widespread or as much a certainty as some people fear and/or lead others to believe.

Troll level 10,000.

Can you please change your name from OLEDExpert to GoogleExpert as I get the feeling you have got all your information from a few google searches.

Wrong. See post above.

Were you living under a Rock in 2014/2015?

That is there line now, several years later. It's a line they've taken up to save face. And also to muddy the water, like their sudden introduction of a burn in warranty and the use of QLED.

When they ceased production they made no mention of burn in. They cited cost. And that was due to poor yields. Here's an article from the time:

If you search for:

Kim Hyun-seok “strategy on OLED TV this year as well as next year remains unchanged.”

You'll be able to pickup all the articles around that time. They all cite manufacturing issues, yield problems and Samsung bang on about cost. I'm sure others that were watching the market at the time will concur. As it was a big disappointment, because most of us wanted LG to have competition.

Moreover, Samsung have actually announced they are moving away from LCD and back into OLED (QD-OLED to be specific). They are investing $11bn to this end. And it will include converting one of their major LCD Fabs:

As I said before, have a read. Moreover have a read of everything, not just what suits your argument now. They couldn't produce them cost effectively. They then tried to muddy the market. And now they are getting back into the market and I bet you the talk of burn in will suddenly disappear as soon as they reach market.

They have an intense rivalry with LG that goes way beyond commercial competition. They are not averse to saying whatever suits them at anyone time. But if you look at all their statements as i've highlighted above, its pretty clear the sudden focus on burn in is pretty disingenuous.

TBH LG didn't have much to lose reputation wise in the TV market.

They were known as having the crappest TVs. Now with OLED, they're known to having the best.

Everyone else pussy-footed around because they didn't want to take a risk when they already had a decent slice of the pie.

It used to be Panasonic for PQ and black levels, Sony for motion and Samsung for style and OS.

LG were known as the crap brand. Then they totally re-invented themselves and now they have the best OLED panels with the best OS. Honestly my hat got off to them, they totally smashed it and leapfrogged everyone.

You're right, they were at the bottom end of the top tier.

Everyone else definitely didnt pussy foot around. They invested billions trying to get RGB OLED viable. The problem was, at the time, it proved to be a dead end. They couldn't mass produce RGB OLED. The yields were abysmal, meaning cost per panel was prohibitive.

What drove this investment was a Chinese Tsunami coming to destroy their LCD margins. LCD is dying as a revenue source for the major manufacturers. They have no patents/technology which protects them from the Chinese. Who can produce them far cheaper.

So in fact they were desperate for a new technology with patents that protected them from that Chinese Tsunami. They weren't at all happy to pull out because "they already had a decent slice of the pie". They new they were set to lose that slice of the pie very very soon.

This is the reason all the major manufacturers have reluctantly jumped on LG's OLED bandwagon. It's better to have a small slice of that pie, then nothing if they stick to LCD. Samsung of course couldn't do that. So they've been trying to muddy the water, whilst they try to make their own viable competitor. And it looks like they will go back into OLED now, because LCD just isnt commercially viable for them.

Going back to reputation, a Sony customer is not going to blame LG if their TV fails. So none of these major manufacturers would be shipping their flagship TV's with LGD OLED panels if they believed many were going to come back with burn in. It just doesn't make any sense. Imagine the class action suits in the US alone.

I'm not saying burn in can't happen with normal viewing. I'm just saying the belief on this thread that it's common simply doesn't make sense. As I can't see Sony, Panasonic, etc shipping millions of displays that they know will come back and smack them in the face.

Were you living under a Rock in 2014/2015?

That is there line now, several years later. It's a line they've taken up to save face. And also to muddy the water, like their sudden introduction of a burn in warranty and the use of QLED.

When they ceased production they made no mention of burn in. They cited cost. And that was due to poor yields. Here's an article from the time:

If you search for:

Kim Hyun-seok “strategy on OLED TV this year as well as next year remains unchanged.”

You'll be able to pickup all the articles around that time. They all cite manufacturing issues, yield problems and Samsung bang on about cost. I'm sure others that were watching the market at the time will concur. As it was a big disappointment, because most of us wanted LG to have competition.

Moreover, Samsung have actually announced they are moving away from LCD and back into OLED (QD-OLED to be specific). They are investing $11bn to this end. And it will include converting one of their major LCD Fabs:

As I said before, have a read. Moreover have a read of everything, not just what suits your argument now. They couldn't produce them cost effectively. They then tried to muddy the market. And now they are getting back into the market and I bet you the talk of burn in will suddenly disappear as soon as they reach market.

They have an intense rivalry with LG that goes way beyond commercial competition. They are not averse to saying whatever suits them at anyone time. But if you look at all their statements as i've highlighted above, its pretty clear the sudden focus on burn in is pretty disingenuous.
WTH does any of that have to do what I claimed? Quit deflecting with boring prose meant to sidetrack. The fact is in post #3102 I claimed that Samsung didn't enter the OLED game because of burn in issues. You disagreed....so I backed it up in post #3115 with direct video explanation from Ced Yaun, who is Technical Product Manager at Samsung, that validated my claim....word for word. Doesn't matter how many third party links you can Goggle up. Your argument is with him....not me. Just accept that you were wrong and move on.

Last edited:
Sad not much has changed since 2016 when we got our LG.
LG did nothing but insist it was MY fault for watching broadcasters with chyron banners,🤬👎

WTH does any of that have to do what I claimed? Quit deflecting with boring prose meant to sidetrack. The fact is in post #3102 I claimed that Samsung didn't enter the OLED game because of burn in issues. You disagreed....so I backed it up in post #3115 with direct video explanation from Ced Yaun, who is Technical Product Manager at Samsung, that validated my claim....word for word. Doesn't matter how many third party links you can Goggle up. Your argument is with him....not me. Just accept that you were wrong and move on.

Did they say that in 2014/2015? No they didn't, they didn't mention burn in issues at all. They mentioned cost and production issues.

So it has everything to do with your claim. They have only started to talk about burn in now, several years after they pulled out.

Moreover they have now decided to go back in to OLED production with an $11bn investment. Why, if burn in is an intrinsic issue with OLED?

If you're unwilling or unable to understand a few paragraphs which detail their position has changed and hence is not credible, then there's no point responding to someone like you. Guess what, company's make up BS excuses later on, particularly when their fierce rival has got the jump on them. If burn in was the problem they would have said that in 2014/2015. Not started to use that excuse years later.

It's all well documented online. Go have a look instead of buying corporate excuses to save face.

This is why i went for a qled.
It's 2019 and you can not leave a tv on without worry about burn in?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom