OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

@OLEDExpert how effective is "logo luminance" ? i never read any reviews about that...is it automatic or do we have to activate it ? and do all 2018/2019 brands/models have it ?

also how effective can it be, if oled burn in is CUMULATIVE ? thanks for any input...
The Logo Luminance Adjustment on the C8 and C9 is a characteristic of the LG TVs.
The only unquestionable facts we have regarding the probability of OLED Burn In is the Consumer Reports Data (there are still people that will argue with this scientific data). Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization, has collected reliability data on over a 100,000 TVs since 2010. Many thousands of these TVs are OLEDs. Based on the data they have collected Consumer Reports says that it is possible to create burn in on an OLED TV, but it is highly unlikely on the 2018 and 2019 model TVs. By reading Forums and UTube videos it may appear as if the 2016 and 2017 models were prone to burn in. Consumer Reports statistical data shows this was a rare occurrence also.

For future questions like this I would suggest we browse the forum below, since we need to keep this thread on the subject it was created for.

Last edited:
Just got another reply from LG.

"Good Afternoon,

I would like to firstly apologise for any delay in getting back to you and for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We are currently experiencing a higher volume of emails than normal and are working diligently to answer each one as soon as possible.

If you would like to proceed with the route of a chargeable repair, as advised below we would be unable to repair the unit to its original specifications and therefore if you would like to proceed with a replacement screen it would be a 2D panel. Due to the loss of the 3D function should you accept, we would offer you £30.00 as a gesture of goodwill compensation, subject to final authorisation. Please note that as the unit is out of warranty this would be a chargeable repair, however we can offer a reduced rate repair of £200.00.

In order for us to look into any potentially models that we could offer you or the depreciated settlement offer, we would require a copy of your proof of purchase to be provided to us.

An acceptable proof of purchase would include the retailers name, VAT number, amount paid for the unit, product information as well as the date of purchase.

Once this has been received we will be able to advise you of any potential models. Please note that when we check for the models they may not be in stock by the time you come to a decision and therefore if this is the case we will also provide you with the settlement amount. As it is subject to stock availability.

Kind regards

Victoria

Level 1 Agent LG Resolutions"

Yesterday there wasn't a £200 charge, but today LG must be feeling extra Christmassy Haha!
"...We are currently experiencing a higher volume of emails than normal and are working diligently to answer each one as soon as possible..."

Not sure if South Korea is prone to Tsunamis, but judging by OLED lifespan, LG is about to have one.

As a fellow B7 owner with 2 and a bit years ownership, I have say these reports getting concerning. I lowered oled light when I got the set and never watch anything with a banner. My kids however have recently took to xbox. I was toying with going 65in recently but these reports helped me decide to wait it out a little longer.

I hope you get it sorted.

Just to add my experience. LG B6 with screen burn from Sky News. Bought from John Lewis 3 years ago. Engineer came out and said that in addition to the screen burn that he thought the panel was faulty, on a red screen test it looked horrendous. Anyway he took it away last Tuesday for a panel replacement.
I got a call from JL on Friday saying that the TV was being written off as the replacement panel was not available.
They offered me a Sony Bravia AG8 as a replacement (with 2 years of the warranty remaining) or a £1499 refund. I took the refund and arriving tomorrow is an LG C9 with another full 5 year warranty. I'm really pleased with that outcome, plus I the LG was £1399 so I'm better off by £100 :smashin:

I have a 3-year-old LG OLED55E6V on which we watch a variety of program types, news channels, football etc. some with banners, but I don't have any of these on continually and, I'm glad to say, have never seen any sign of IR or burn-in and long may that be the case. I think you just have to make sure that you exercise caution and don't leave any fixed icons, banners etc. on screen for any great length of time, plus make sure you always leave the TV on standby rather than disconnecting it from the mains, thus allowing it to do its anti-burn-in job.

I have a 3-year-old LG OLED55E6V on which we watch a variety of program types, news channels, football etc. some with banners, but I don't have any of these on continually and, I'm glad to say, have never seen any sign of IR or burn-in and long may that be the case. I think you just have to make sure that you exercise caution and don't leave any fixed icons, banners etc. on screen for any great length of time, plus make sure you always leave the TV on standby rather than disconnecting it from the mains, thus allowing it to do its anti-burn-in job.
You definitely need to be cautious. What really gets me is a normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in. I mean...as I have said....none of my previous TV's have experienced this....EVER. And now, in today's world of technology we have gone backwards 25 years and now we need to make sure we change channels every couple hours? I would think there should have been some sort of software developed to at least warn the viewer to change channels when a possibility occurs. I don't know....very frustrating.

Without wanting to diminish your experience, I don't think it tells us a "normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in."

A chance of burn in yes, but a good chance, the jury remains out on that. If it turns out people with normal viewing habits have a good chance of suffering burn in, that will become very obvious as there will be hundreds of thousands of people shooting about it soon enough. At which point everyone bar Samsung will be in deep doo doo :/

You definitely need to be cautious. What really gets me is a normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in. I mean...as I have said....none of my previous TV's have experienced this....EVER. And now, in today's world of technology we have gone backwards 25 years and now we need to make sure we change channels every couple hours? I would think there should have been some sort of software developed to at least warn the viewer to change channels when a possibility occurs. I don't know....very frustrating.
No argument with anything you have stated above. That said, I don't continually feel I have to change channel every 2 to 3 hours and have, over the years, had three Plasma and two OLED TVs with never a sign of burn-in or IR, maybe I have just been lucky.

Without wanting to diminish your experience, I don't think it tells us a "normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in."

A chance of burn in yes, but a good chance, the jury remains out on that. If it turns out people with normal viewing habits have a good chance of suffering burn in, that will become very obvious as there will be hundreds of thousands of people shooting about it soon enough. At which point everyone bar Samsung will be in deep doo doo :/
Yeah,,,,it's not scientific or nothing but IMO.....I am a normal television viewer. We simply watch television...that's it. No games or anything. I mean...what are we supposed to do? Never watch news channels that display banners for more than 15 minutes at a time (in between commercials). It's not like these stay on for hours on end without change. I dunno...frustrated I guess but LG should have some sort of software to prevent this and warn buyers of this problem.

No argument with anything you have stated above. That said, I don't continually feel I have to change channel every 2 to 3 hours and have, over the years, had three Plasma and two OLED TVs with never a sign of burn-in or IR, maybe I have just been lucky.
Yeah...as a 56 year old man...I have owned countless LCD's LED's, Plasma's and projections. I still have a 50 inch Plasma which is doing great. But with all these years of normal viewing, I have never experienced any burn in until now. So be careful because after some Goggling...it seems to be pretty common.

Yeah,,,,it's not scientific or nothing but IMO.....I am a normal television viewer. We simply watch television...that's it. No games or anything. I mean...what are we supposed to do? Never watch news channels that display banners for more than 15 minutes at a time (in between commercials). It's not like these stay on for hours on end without change. I dunno...frustrated I guess but LG should have some sort of software to prevent this and warn buyers of this problem.

I'm not questioning you're a "normal viewer" :) Just saying none of us know if there is a good chance, or a small chance of this happening to "normal viewers".

What we do know is if there is a good chance of it happening to normal viewers, then LG/Sony/Panasonic/Phillips are in a sh*t load of trouble. As they will have hundreds of thousands of panels coming back in a year or two.

Yeah...as a 56 year old man...I have owned countless LCD's LED's, Plasma's and projections. I still have a 50 inch Plasma which is doing great. But with all these years of normal viewing, I have never experienced any burn in until now. So be careful because after some Goggling...it seems to be pretty common.
I am well aware that it is is not uncommon, I do take reasonable care but I'm not obsessive about it. I would hate to have to go to LCD, be that LED back- or side-lit as I have always felt that, to my eyes anyway, plasma and OLED produce a much more natural picture.

@Homeby51, you appear to be based in the US so you might benefit more by discussing this in the sister forum. Maybe US broadcasters have brighter on-screen logos and ticker banners. It sounds as though your TV is on for most of the day so that doesn’t make you a normal television watcher.

I watch Sky Sports football matches and that channel has a logo top-left with the score that stays on for 45 mins for each half. Never caused me a problem.

When you power it down each evening does it enter a calibration routine? It should after several hours of viewing. Do you let it finish? You should never turn off the power at the wall unless you’re leaving the house for an extended period.

I’d be interested to hear about how often it goes into calibration mode. Should be every evening.

@Homeby51, you appear to be based in the US so you might benefit more by discussing this in the sister forum. Maybe US broadcasters have brighter on-screen logos and ticker banners. It sounds as though your TV is on for most of the day so that doesn’t make you a normal television watcher.

I watch Sky Sports football matches and that channel has a logo top-left with the score that stays on for 45 mins for each half. Never caused me a problem.

When you power it down each evening does it enter a calibration routine? It should after several hours of viewing. Do you let it finish? You should never turn off the power at the wall unless you’re leaving the house for an extended period.

I’d be interested to hear about how often it goes into calibration mode. Should be every evening.
I usually dont watch TV all day. Just a couple hours in morning for news and then streaming at night. But I really dont want to get in a pissing match about "normal" viewer or not. As I have said repeatedly, I have never had this problem with several TV's of ever technology over the last 25 years. It's very disappointing to have to deal with this in today's world with modern advances.
As far as powering down and calibration mode....I am not sure. I simply hit the power button on my remote and my TV turns off and a little red LED comes on in the bottom front. Whether it calibrates or not....I couldn't say. Thanks!!!

As far as powering down and calibration mode....I am not sure. I simply hit the power button on my remote and my TV turns off and a little red LED comes on in the bottom front. Whether it calibrates or not....I couldn't say. Thanks!!!
Might be worth checking the manual to see the purpose of that light. Does it change to another colour after a while or are you already in bed? ;)

Mine will turn blue (from green when viewing) and once the process is complete will turn white. That LED is important. It tells you what is going on.

I usually dont watch TV all day. Just a couple hours in morning for news and then streaming at night. But I really dont want to get in a pissing match about "normal" viewer or not. As I have said repeatedly, I have never had this problem with several TV's of ever technology over the last 25 years. It's very disappointing to have to deal with this in today's world with modern advances.

You're well within the bounds of a normal viewer mate. No pissing match needed :)

Might be worth checking the manual to see the purpose of that light. Does it change to another colour after a while or are you already in bed? ;)

Mine will turn blue (from green when viewing) and once the process is complete will turn white. That LED is important. It tells you what is going on.
It's just a power indicator light. It turns red when I power off and goes out when I turn the TV on. It has done this since day one.

It's just a power indicator light. It turns red when I power off and goes out when I turn the TV on. It has done this since day one.
I would have expected more from LG. Giving the user some indication of when a screen ‘clean’ is taking place should mandatory when it’s so important to its long-term life.

Mine is the same. Red light when in standby. I have no idea when a pixel refresh is run.

I doubt that the relationship is a simple linear one. Doubling the aperture means that the light per unit of area only has to be half as bright. However, I do not know if this means that only half the voltage is required, or if this halves the heat generated, or doubles the lifespan.

Personally, I would not be surprised if OLED compounds break down much faster when they are being driven harder. For example, if an OLED is lasts for X hours being driven at 100% of its peak brightness, then it probably lasts much, much more than 2X hours, if being driven at only 50%.

This is all speculation though.
Should we use Joules Equation to figure out the heat generated?
The amount of heat that will be produced when electrical current flows through a conductor is described as
Joules Law: H = I2 x R x T
The heat generated is proportional to the amount of current squared. Could this be why the increased aperture ratio has made OLED BURN IN a non issue on the 2018 and newer TVs?

Last edited:
Pixel refresh does not need doing manuall.When the tv has accumulated 4 hours veiwing it happens automatically when you put the tv into standby.You hear it click and it takes approx 8 mins to run its cycle.A red standby light is normal.
Homeboy I’m a normal viewer and my E7 after two years had the Sky Q recording tiles burnt in.My tv went back for severe banding after it’s second 2000 hour pixel refresh.I gave it 300 hours to clear up but it never.
So although mine went for a new screen for banding there was feint burn in but it never showed in content,only on a test screen.
I get my E7 back Saturday so fingers crossed it’s all good.
Im a massive OLED lover and cant fault them but now I’m very dubious and I’m a normal viewer so I’d now agree there’s a good chance it can happen and there’s getting more and more people having issues so it can happen over night as it did with me with something that should have kept my pristine panel uniform.

Pixel refresh does not need doing manuall.When the tv has accumulated 4 hours veiwing it happens automatically when you put the tv into standby.You hear it click and it takes approx 8 mins to run its cycle.A red standby light is normal.
Homeboy I’m a normal viewer and my E7 after two years had the Sky Q recording tiles burnt in.My tv went back for severe banding after it’s second 2000 hour pixel refresh.I gave it 300 hours to clear up but it never.
So although mine went for a new screen for banding there was feint burn in but it never showed in content,only on a test screen.
I get my E7 back Saturday so fingers crossed it’s all good.
Im a massive OLED lover and cant fault them but now I’m very dubious and I’m a normal viewer so I’d now agree there’s a good chance it can happen and there’s getting more and more people having issues so it can happen over night as it did with me with something that should have kept my pristine panel uniform.
Tell me...what is standby? As most TV watchers, I turn it on and off. Thanks

LG could clear this all up by saying they will repair all TV's with this issue. If the number is so small as we are told surely it would be just just better for OLED reputation to replace them say within a 5 year bracket from new.

LG could clear this all up by saying they will repair all TV's with this issue. If the number is so small as we are told surely it would be just just better for OLED reputation to replace them say within a 5 year bracket from new.
I hear ya......I just ordered a new LG TV that is supposed to be here tomorrow but if they don't solve this, I am sending it back.
Anyone help me out? How do banners cause burn in when they don't stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time? Trying to understand...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom