Quantcast

Another OLED Burn in Problem....

staffy 2

Homeby just do the same as I’m doing with my new screen.Sit back and enjoy your tv and the awesome picture it gives.Your new panel may never have the issues your old panel had so relax and enjoy yourself as life’s too short.Dont worry about it going wrong again.Enjoy those lovely colours that pop with the infinite blacks and live life for today as that’s what I do.

Johnnyboy3666

Standard Member
I’ve got an E6 that I bought in 2016 and recently noticed Sky banner PIR. Would I have a case for repair/replacement based on any one else’s dealings with LG? I consider myself as a normal tv viewer but don’t have ‘BreakingNews’ banner on permanently, so cant imagine why this banner in particular has decided to stick on my screen.

Attachments

blacksheep99

I'm no expert but unless it's permanent breaking news story you should have a good argument that there is a screen fault as the banner would only likely be on for a short period of viewing? The other discolouration suggest panel fault to me.

Homeby51

I’ve got an E6 that I bought in 2016 and recently noticed Sky banner PIR. Would I have a case for repair/replacement based on any one else’s dealings with LG? I consider myself as a normal tv viewer but don’t have ‘BreakingNews’ banner on permanently, so cant imagine why this banner in particular has decided to stick on my screen.
I have a news "Alert" burned in across the bottom and like I said...they are repairing mine free of charge. Call them.....

Homeby51

Call who? LG? or maybe the shop I bought it from?
Yes....LG customer service. That's who I spoke to. You have to go through the steps of doing a "pixel refresh" and then sending them a picture of burn in but it worked out for me without much hassle.

staffy 2

I think LG are softening a bit with pixel wear as they know it’s wrong turning there backs on genuine customers after two or three years.

phil5743

Can I ask a question - I've been a 55inch C9 owner for a month now and was reassured by the seemingly knowledgable guy in Richer sounds that burn-in was virtually non-existent and wasn't present on any of their demo TV's either.
While the example pics posted here seem very concerning, how visible is it with normal viewing as opposed to on a single coloured background - I'm just wondering is it something that is actually more tolerable in daily use than the pics just on a single coloured background would indicate ?

Homeby51

Can I ask a question - I've been a 55inch C9 owner for a month now and was reassured by the seemingly knowledgable guy in Richer sounds that burn-in was virtually non-existent and wasn't present on any of their demo TV's either.
While the example pics posted here seem very concerning, how visible is it with normal viewing as opposed to on a single coloured background - I'm just wondering is it something that is actually more tolerable in daily use than the pics just on a single coloured background would indicate ?
My burn in is view-able at all times. The bands show up in lighter backgrounds and the news banner words show up in colored backgrounds (Red, Green).
IMO...burn in isn't almost non existing. Think about it. These things are assembled by the millions with the same circuitry, hardware and software. Logic tells me that when they replace my screen then burn in will happen again if my viewing habits are the same unless someone can explain why this new screen is different from my screen and/or explain what other "fixes" have been implemented. But for those to claim that it's a "hit and miss" with the luck of the draw.....I don't believe it. We are not talking about a product with moving parts that sometimes break.

phil5743

My burn in is view-able at all times. The bands show up in lighter backgrounds and the news banner words show up in colored backgrounds (Red, Green).
IMO...burn in isn't almost non existing. Think about it. These things are assembled by the millions with the same circuitry, hardware and software. Logic tells me that when they replace my screen then burn in will happen again if my viewing habits are the same unless someone can explain why this new screen is different from my screen and/or explain what other "fixes" have been implemented. But for those to claim that it's a "hit and miss" with the luck of the draw.....I don't believe it. We are not talking about a product with moving parts that sometimes break.
What puzzles me is that if I was a large retailer, I wouldn't knowingly sell a product if I was to get loads of complaints that had to be dealt with. I'd simply not sell that product and recommend alternatives.

staffy 2

Phil theres not that many complaint.I don’t think OLEDs go wrong anymore than lcds.On forums you will find a lot of people come on to say there tv has gone wrong and vent there anger and rightly so.
I think LG have sold 5 million OLED TVs and the percentage that go wrong is a a drop in the ocean.Now mine went wrong after 2 years but it’s now got a new screen through the free 5 year warranty my tv came with.It took 3 mins to sort and 5 days to pick it up and bring it back like new.
Just enjoy your tv and I’m sure you have a 5 year warranty to fall back on.To be honest it does seem LG now find most tvs with pixel wear as a faulty panel and while not admitting any fault or problems they are giving the go ahead to fit a new panel.My tv is amazing again so don’t worry.
If it was really bad then they’d have to stop production and would be flooded with faulty tvs.I think they do wear out quicker than an lcd but the picture they produce is amazing and so natural.

scottiefraser

My 55EF950V was replaced by Know How showing exactly the same.

Unopinionated

Phil theres not that many complaint.I don’t think OLEDs go wrong anymore than lcds.On forums you will find a lot of people come on to say there tv has gone wrong and vent there anger and rightly so.
I think LG have sold 5 million OLED TVs and the percentage that go wrong is a a drop in the ocean.Now mine went wrong after 2 years but it’s now got a new screen through the free 5 year warranty my tv came with.It took 3 mins to sort and 5 days to pick it up and bring it back like new.
Just enjoy your tv and I’m sure you have a 5 year warranty to fall back on.To be honest it does seem LG now find most tvs with pixel wear as a faulty panel and while not admitting any fault or problems they are giving the go ahead to fit a new panel.My tv is amazing again so don’t worry.
If it was really bad then they’d have to stop production and would be flooded with faulty tvs.I think they do wear out quicker than an lcd but the picture they produce is amazing and so natural.
On top of that most TV viewers don’t take any special precautions when watching their OLED TVs.

Last edited:

gizlaroc

Sky news has a yellow ticker tape and is bright, it will wear the red 'pixels' quicker.
This is what you are seeing.

I watch an hour a night of Sky News, Monday to Friday, and the TV is on around 56 hours a week, watching different content does not help.

After 2 years I start to see the wear on slides, by year 3 I need to start thinking about replacing the TV as I start to see it during viewing. I am at 3 years old nearly now.

I will change it next autumn, once spring comes I use the other room, which is too bright for an OLED anyway.

It is what it is, they need to put in some measures to allow us to protect the screens a bit. Static images are fine as the OLED dims them, it is ticker tape that causes the issue, especially when yellow.

Doctor Smith

I have a B6 and my viewing was varied 1.5 years later I have Good morning Britain logo burnt into screen. It is perminant as I've tried everything to get rid of it.
LG didn't want to know as it was out of its year warranty. Purchased from Very who in no uncertain terms told me to take a hike.
Burn in caused by watching the same content for an hour a day 4 days a week.

Unopinionated

Bingo!

I don't think I have ever not upgraded before 2 years is up, the fact is my B6 still impresses me every day, now at 3 years, I watch Sky News daily and still not got enough 'burn' to affect my viewing. In another year I will upgrade, that is still the longest I have kept a TV for.

Last edited:

staffy 2

Unfortunately you do have to keep on at LG to get them to do anything.Id only have buy from someone who offers a 5 year warranty.
If you took your case to the small claims court and inform LG your doing so then you may get somewhere.If you don’t then go through with it and I guarantee you will win your case but it is a hassle but you’ll get your money back.

tudor10

Standard Member
I have burn in on my LG OLED 65" C7 - 19 months old and so out of warranty. Purchased from Currys. Called LG - 700 to 900 pounds to repair but they mentioned that I should start with the supplier, Currys, first. I did and also noticed on my receipt that I had a 5 Year Team Knowledge guarantee. Called up Currys and three days later they have taken the TV away. Due back next week. No charge!!!! I discovered that the 5 Year guarantee was given to those who had spent a significant amount - easy when buying a 65" OLED! Will try and report back when the TV returns, but the way the collection/delivery men worked I would be surprised if it comes back in one piece! Nice enough guys but under pressure to collect more - we were their 5th that day and it was only 9.30am.

Homeby51

For a technology that we are told that burn IN is very uncommon and is rare, it sure seems like there are a lot of people reporting burn In after 2 or 3 years.

Homeby51

I just spoke to the service man who is ordering my replacement screen. What he told me is not good.
He said that he...himself...has already replaced five OLED panels due to burn in in Key Largo alone. Now...to put this in perspective we only have 7000 people in all of Key Largo. You can do the math of how many people probably have OLED's. He also told me it is a good chance that it will burn in again in a year or two.
Sooooo...don't believe the hype that this isn't a BIG problem and it's only a small minority of OLED's that experience Burn in. I don't know the percentages but I know that if I was making a decision on whether to buy an OLED or not today....there is no way in hell that I would take the chance.
BTW...as I mentioned before...I have an older Plasma that still doesn't have burn in. I also only have 7000 hrs of viewing on my OLED and I never play games. I simply watch news, grand kids watch cartoons and during the evening we stream Netflix.
20200108_184320_resized.jpg

Homeby51

Follow up from above.
My wife and I were talking and I think we are at the point where after we get the new screen...we may sell it as a perfect OLED TV and use the money for an LED. I mean....honestly my old eyes probably won't notice too much. My parents live in an apartment on my property and they just got a 55 inch LG LED for $450 and the picture looks damn good for normal viewing. What do you all think?

gizlaroc

If you buy a decent LCD with a VA panel they get pretty close.

In many ways I prefer my Sony XE90 and XF90 over my OLED.

Don't get me wrong, I can really appreciate what an OLED does well, those tricky scenes with dark and light at the same time, and I definitely think HDR is far better on OLED, but I could live without HDR and 90% of my viewing the Sony tends to look sharper, have better motion and just has a nicer image.

I wouldn't buy some LG IPS panel LCD though!
I bought one of the Samsung QLEDs before xmas, Q70, that was awful, blacks were far worse than my XE90, hence buying an XF90.
I got an XG first, but that was far worse than my XE, so returned it and picked up an XF90, which is exactly the same as the XE, just menus a bit quicker and it seems to go a bit brighter.

So I would happily live without an OLED.
In fact I will probably grab a Q9FN used when one pops up at the right price and give it a try, the one I saw looked great.

staffy 2

Seems John Lewis just don’t want to know with pixel wear issues.Id suggest not buying from them in the future.

assimb

This is what happed to my Sony 65A1.
called Sony they are replacing it with a AG9
I’ve had it for just over 2 years with 10000 hours logged
42E7CA53-2C47-49CF-84F9-6B39FE8338A4.jpeg