Quantcast

Another OLED Burn in Problem....

Homeby51

Bought an LG OLED65B7A less than 2 years ago. I am a retired person who simply watches television....the normal way I always have. I have now noticed a burn in news banner along the bottom of my screen. I have NEVER had this problem with Plasma, LED's or LCD's. Anything I can do? I assume LG will not stand behind this....

I will give a warning to everyone considering an OLED to be very wary. Again...I never thought this would be an issue and assumed the old days of burn in problems were long gone with software and such. Seems like I wasted over $2K on a great looking TV.

anticlaus105

As a fellow B7 owner with 2 and a bit years ownership, I have say these reports getting concerning. I lowered oled light when I got the set and never watch anything with a banner. My kids however have recently took to xbox. I was toying with going 65in recently but these reports helped me decide to wait it out a little longer.

I hope you get it sorted.

mjcairney

I have a 3-year-old LG OLED55E6V on which we watch a variety of program types, news channels, football etc. some with banners, but I don't have any of these on continually and, I'm glad to say, have never seen any sign of IR or burn-in and long may that be the case. I think you just have to make sure that you exercise caution and don't leave any fixed icons, banners etc. on screen for any great length of time, plus make sure you always leave the TV on standby rather than disconnecting it from the mains, thus allowing it to do its anti-burn-in job.

Homeby51

I have a 3-year-old LG OLED55E6V on which we watch a variety of program types, news channels, football etc. some with banners, but I don't have any of these on continually and, I'm glad to say, have never seen any sign of IR or burn-in and long may that be the case. I think you just have to make sure that you exercise caution and don't leave any fixed icons, banners etc. on screen for any great length of time, plus make sure you always leave the TV on standby rather than disconnecting it from the mains, thus allowing it to do its anti-burn-in job.
You definitely need to be cautious. What really gets me is a normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in. I mean...as I have said....none of my previous TV's have experienced this....EVER. And now, in today's world of technology we have gone backwards 25 years and now we need to make sure we change channels every couple hours? I would think there should have been some sort of software developed to at least warn the viewer to change channels when a possibility occurs. I don't know....very frustrating.

5to1

Without wanting to diminish your experience, I don't think it tells us a "normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in."

A chance of burn in yes, but a good chance, the jury remains out on that. If it turns out people with normal viewing habits have a good chance of suffering burn in, that will become very obvious as there will be hundreds of thousands of people shooting about it soon enough. At which point everyone bar Samsung will be in deep doo doo :/

mjcairney

You definitely need to be cautious. What really gets me is a normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in. I mean...as I have said....none of my previous TV's have experienced this....EVER. And now, in today's world of technology we have gone backwards 25 years and now we need to make sure we change channels every couple hours? I would think there should have been some sort of software developed to at least warn the viewer to change channels when a possibility occurs. I don't know....very frustrating.
No argument with anything you have stated above. That said, I don't continually feel I have to change channel every 2 to 3 hours and have, over the years, had three Plasma and two OLED TVs with never a sign of burn-in or IR, maybe I have just been lucky.

Homeby51

Without wanting to diminish your experience, I don't think it tells us a "normal television watcher has a good chance of experiencing burn in."

A chance of burn in yes, but a good chance, the jury remains out on that. If it turns out people with normal viewing habits have a good chance of suffering burn in, that will become very obvious as there will be hundreds of thousands of people shooting about it soon enough. At which point everyone bar Samsung will be in deep doo doo :/
Yeah,,,,it's not scientific or nothing but IMO.....I am a normal television viewer. We simply watch television...that's it. No games or anything. I mean...what are we supposed to do? Never watch news channels that display banners for more than 15 minutes at a time (in between commercials). It's not like these stay on for hours on end without change. I dunno...frustrated I guess but LG should have some sort of software to prevent this and warn buyers of this problem.

Homeby51

No argument with anything you have stated above. That said, I don't continually feel I have to change channel every 2 to 3 hours and have, over the years, had three Plasma and two OLED TVs with never a sign of burn-in or IR, maybe I have just been lucky.
Yeah...as a 56 year old man...I have owned countless LCD's LED's, Plasma's and projections. I still have a 50 inch Plasma which is doing great. But with all these years of normal viewing, I have never experienced any burn in until now. So be careful because after some Goggling...it seems to be pretty common.

5to1

Yeah,,,,it's not scientific or nothing but IMO.....I am a normal television viewer. We simply watch television...that's it. No games or anything. I mean...what are we supposed to do? Never watch news channels that display banners for more than 15 minutes at a time (in between commercials). It's not like these stay on for hours on end without change. I dunno...frustrated I guess but LG should have some sort of software to prevent this and warn buyers of this problem.
I'm not questioning you're a "normal viewer" :) Just saying none of us know if there is a good chance, or a small chance of this happening to "normal viewers".

What we do know is if there is a good chance of it happening to normal viewers, then LG/Sony/Panasonic/Phillips are in a sh*t load of trouble. As they will have hundreds of thousands of panels coming back in a year or two.

mjcairney

Yeah...as a 56 year old man...I have owned countless LCD's LED's, Plasma's and projections. I still have a 50 inch Plasma which is doing great. But with all these years of normal viewing, I have never experienced any burn in until now. So be careful because after some Goggling...it seems to be pretty common.
I am well aware that it is is not uncommon, I do take reasonable care but I'm not obsessive about it. I would hate to have to go to LCD, be that LED back- or side-lit as I have always felt that, to my eyes anyway, plasma and OLED produce a much more natural picture.

RayP

@Homeby51, you appear to be based in the US so you might benefit more by discussing this in the sister forum. Maybe US broadcasters have brighter on-screen logos and ticker banners. It sounds as though your TV is on for most of the day so that doesn’t make you a normal television watcher.

I watch Sky Sports football matches and that channel has a logo top-left with the score that stays on for 45 mins for each half. Never caused me a problem.

When you power it down each evening does it enter a calibration routine? It should after several hours of viewing. Do you let it finish? You should never turn off the power at the wall unless you’re leaving the house for an extended period.

I’d be interested to hear about how often it goes into calibration mode. Should be every evening.

Homeby51

@Homeby51, you appear to be based in the US so you might benefit more by discussing this in the sister forum. Maybe US broadcasters have brighter on-screen logos and ticker banners. It sounds as though your TV is on for most of the day so that doesn’t make you a normal television watcher.

I watch Sky Sports football matches and that channel has a logo top-left with the score that stays on for 45 mins for each half. Never caused me a problem.

When you power it down each evening does it enter a calibration routine? It should after several hours of viewing. Do you let it finish? You should never turn off the power at the wall unless you’re leaving the house for an extended period.

I’d be interested to hear about how often it goes into calibration mode. Should be every evening.
I usually dont watch TV all day. Just a couple hours in morning for news and then streaming at night. But I really dont want to get in a pissing match about "normal" viewer or not. As I have said repeatedly, I have never had this problem with several TV's of ever technology over the last 25 years. It's very disappointing to have to deal with this in today's world with modern advances.
As far as powering down and calibration mode....I am not sure. I simply hit the power button on my remote and my TV turns off and a little red LED comes on in the bottom front. Whether it calibrates or not....I couldn't say. Thanks!!!

RayP

As far as powering down and calibration mode....I am not sure. I simply hit the power button on my remote and my TV turns off and a little red LED comes on in the bottom front. Whether it calibrates or not....I couldn't say. Thanks!!!
Might be worth checking the manual to see the purpose of that light. Does it change to another colour after a while or are you already in bed? ;)

Mine will turn blue (from green when viewing) and once the process is complete will turn white. That LED is important. It tells you what is going on.

5to1

I usually dont watch TV all day. Just a couple hours in morning for news and then streaming at night. But I really dont want to get in a pissing match about "normal" viewer or not. As I have said repeatedly, I have never had this problem with several TV's of ever technology over the last 25 years. It's very disappointing to have to deal with this in today's world with modern advances.
You're well within the bounds of a normal viewer mate. No pissing match needed :)

Homeby51

Might be worth checking the manual to see the purpose of that light. Does it change to another colour after a while or are you already in bed? ;)

Mine will turn blue (from green when viewing) and once the process is complete will turn white. That LED is important. It tells you what is going on.
It's just a power indicator light. It turns red when I power off and goes out when I turn the TV on. It has done this since day one.

RayP

It's just a power indicator light. It turns red when I power off and goes out when I turn the TV on. It has done this since day one.
I would have expected more from LG. Giving the user some indication of when a screen ‘clean’ is taking place should mandatory when it’s so important to its long-term life.

anticlaus105

Mine is the same. Red light when in standby. I have no idea when a pixel refresh is run.

RayP

staffy 2

Pixel refresh does not need doing manuall.When the tv has accumulated 4 hours veiwing it happens automatically when you put the tv into standby.You hear it click and it takes approx 8 mins to run its cycle.A red standby light is normal.
Homeboy I’m a normal viewer and my E7 after two years had the Sky Q recording tiles burnt in.My tv went back for severe banding after it’s second 2000 hour pixel refresh.I gave it 300 hours to clear up but it never.
So although mine went for a new screen for banding there was feint burn in but it never showed in content,only on a test screen.
I get my E7 back Saturday so fingers crossed it’s all good.
Im a massive OLED lover and cant fault them but now I’m very dubious and I’m a normal viewer so I’d now agree there’s a good chance it can happen and there’s getting more and more people having issues so it can happen over night as it did with me with something that should have kept my pristine panel uniform.

Homeby51

Pixel refresh does not need doing manuall.When the tv has accumulated 4 hours veiwing it happens automatically when you put the tv into standby.You hear it click and it takes approx 8 mins to run its cycle.A red standby light is normal.
Homeboy I’m a normal viewer and my E7 after two years had the Sky Q recording tiles burnt in.My tv went back for severe banding after it’s second 2000 hour pixel refresh.I gave it 300 hours to clear up but it never.
So although mine went for a new screen for banding there was feint burn in but it never showed in content,only on a test screen.
I get my E7 back Saturday so fingers crossed it’s all good.
Im a massive OLED lover and cant fault them but now I’m very dubious and I’m a normal viewer so I’d now agree there’s a good chance it can happen and there’s getting more and more people having issues so it can happen over night as it did with me with something that should have kept my pristine panel uniform.
Tell me...what is standby? As most TV watchers, I turn it on and off. Thanks

Rockets

LG could clear this all up by saying they will repair all TV's with this issue. If the number is so small as we are told surely it would be just just better for OLED reputation to replace them say within a 5 year bracket from new.

Homeby51

LG could clear this all up by saying they will repair all TV's with this issue. If the number is so small as we are told surely it would be just just better for OLED reputation to replace them say within a 5 year bracket from new.
I hear ya......I just ordered a new LG TV that is supposed to be here tomorrow but if they don't solve this, I am sending it back.
Anyone help me out? How do banners cause burn in when they don't stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time? Trying to understand...

staffy 2

Hi Homeboy as soon as you press off on the remote and the red light comes on your tv is in standby and will do it’s 4 hours short cycle.Just always leave on at the socket it’s plugged into.

Homeby51

I contacted LG and they told me to run the Pixel refresh thing 3 or 4 times. When I started it it turned the TV off. Not sure when it finishes but I guess it will turn back on. Anyway....will see but after reading some comments on Reddit, I am not too hopeful and am afraid it will actually do some damage. People over there are actually showing screens that the pixel refresher destroyed.

GOM

Sad not much has changed since 2016 when we got our LG.
LG did nothing but insist it was MY fault for watching broadcasters with chyron banners,🤬👎

NMF

This is why i went for a qled.
It's 2019 and you can not leave a tv on without worry about burn in?

clydebest

Distinguished Member
I hear ya......I just ordered a new LG TV that is supposed to be here tomorrow but if they don't solve this, I am sending it back.
Anyone help me out? How do banners cause burn in when they don't stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time? Trying to understand...
Because it's a cumulative effect that causes the pixels to Burn Out which is the correct use of words .. the Pixels are used a uneven amount and end up leaving a outline of the offending logo etc.. as someone pointed out if this is so rare and is put down to the misuse of the tv ... leaving on a static image for a abnormal amount of time.. but that is just a lie .. because it happens without any misuse so watching a TV program on a tv is responsible.. and to admit that is something the manufacturers are not willing to admit to .. instead it's not covered by a warranty... but take them to the small claims court and prove the offending logo is from a tv channel and you will win your case on the not fit for purpose .. watching a tv channel on a tv .BOL