1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another of my films rotting away

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FoxyMulder, Mar 15, 2003.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just watched Almost Famous again ((not the bootleg edition)) mines is region 1 and well the second layer of the disc is breaking up into mosiacs keeps stuttering and freezing and generally shows all the symptons of disc rot, first layer plays fine, my copy of The Matrix used to suffer after the layer changeover too but now the whole disc is unplayable and my copy of Dinosaur 2 disc version region 1 has frozen before too but so far hasnt started to break up but i would say its only a matter of time.

So 3 discs out of my collection of over 200 isnt so bad but i havent checked many of them it would be interesting to know if the Matrix and Dinosaur and Always Famous discs come from the same pressing plant in america and if anyone has a definite answer on this id love to know, i know disc rot isnt a major problem and i do look after my discs but i expect more than a couple of years use out of them and its very disappointing to go back to watch a film and have it break up into mosiac blocks or freeze on u, my dvd player is a Toshiba and is new and ive tested em on my old 2109 model as well as my new one.

I'm dreading watching some of my older discs now in case they also exhibit disc rot symptons and i really can't afford to buy new ones and can't sell old ones suffering from rot :(

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,146
    I have a couple that are plagued by mosaic patterning and both are James Bond DVDs, Dr No and TWINE the latter one I have been told is on the disc change. Both came out about the same time (the DVD's that is not the films;) ).

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the discs in another player????

It could be your player that is on its way out.

My Sony 735 player started to stutter and mosaic after a year of use. Another year later, none of my dvds play properly and the player gives C:13:00 errors. This means duff disc or laser failure. The dvds work in my PC so its the laser..

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep ive tried its the first thing i do :(

5. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Your laser is, well, knackered!!!

Mine Sony did the same, appaentley it is a known fault with X35 series!!

6. Donnie Smith

Donnie Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same problem with Goldeneye R2, refused to play in my dvd player after pixellating on some of the chapters. Did the same in my mates player as well so it must be the disc.:(

7. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a really REALLY stupid question, but -
    Is there any chance that a faulty/on it's way out laser could damage the disc so it doesn't play in other players?

Just a thought, after all there was a thing a couple of years ago about an LG model allegedly scratching discs.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting notion but wouldnt all discs be damaged then and not just a select few ?

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Some players have much better error correction than others, so a faulty disc might play fine on another player.