1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another NOOB RPTV question (Sharpness)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by -=Maxed=-, Jan 3, 2004.

1. -=Maxed=-

-=Maxed=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of things damage RPTV'S so i was wondering.. dose having the sharpness turned right up damage the tv in any way ? :boring:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Don't get too worried about things damaging RPTVs in particular....a lot of the issues are common to all CRT based TVs.

Sharpness on it's own probably won't do anything more than give your eyes a bit of trouble,as it's edge enhancement on the picture being used there,and can tend to give a very "tizzy" looking image which is quite tiring if turned up a long way.

I've had my RPTV for the better part of year and have the contrast and brightness down to about 50% and the sharpness at about -20%,and it all looks very nice.....just avoid very high contrast and brightness,plus static images for extended periods and you should have no problems.

3. -=Maxed=-

-=Maxed=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one... That what i like to here :clap:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hopefully another satisfied Forum user!...my pleasure.

My Tosh arrived with all of the defaults set to the absolute max....100% brightness,contrast and sharpness high as well...I think the idea is that it will look impressive in a shop setting straight out of the box,but in your average home,it simply makes your eyes bleed....if you buy one,it's well worth spending a little time adjusting it to exactly what you want,and getting the convergence set correctly as well.

5. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    As the previous posters mentioned the sharpness control setting will have no adverse effects on the TV itself, just on the way the picture looks.

To get the sharpness corectly set (along with the other picture settings) look to gte hold of a copy of the Digital Video Essentials or AVIA DVD's which will run you through the setup procedures and provide test patterns to compare with.

Once an RPTV has been correclty calibarated this way the picture imporvements can be vast.