1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another noob lost and in need of plasma help !!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by finden, Nov 12, 2004.

1. finden

finden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spent days searching through these forums and have found them very a valueable source of information.I am planning on buying a plasma this weekend and would like some info on which model would be best for my own needs. I will be using it mainly for Sky+ and the occasional DVD ,sound isnt important as i will purchasing a seperate audio system for this.I want a user friendly model as both my wife and myself are neither that technically minded :D

My conclusions lead me to choosing from these models....

Hitachi 42PD5200 (5300 doesnt seem to have any advantages )

Panasonic Viera TH42PE30B

Sony KEP42M1S

Was in Comet today and i was pleasantly surprised at the Sagem axiumhtd501dlp.......any advantages having this over the plasma's ?

Any ideas would be great as i do not want to be spending this amount of money on possibly the wrong screen.

:lease:

2. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If, as you say, you're using mainly Sky + and DVD, then you don't need one with a built in tuner such as the Viera. I agree the 5300 doesn't have many advantages over the 5200 apart from fewer cables from the panel, but the reason I chose the 5300 is that JL sold it with the 5 year warranty, and they don't sell the 5200.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Good choice ! I'm going for the Hitachi soon myself. The 5200 has only 1 SCART socket, wheras the 5300 has a switching box with 3 SCARTS. So if 1 SCART is OK for you, get the 5200 :thumbsup:

4. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

with the DLP set, you wont have to worry about burn-in issues, has higher resolution (normally at 1280*720) which also means "PC-friendly" (at one point or another) and cost a lot less money if you compare size-to-size and would have most of the inputs you will require

now they're not without their cons too...first, you have to replace the bulb around every 8K - 10K hours (around £350 a pop), doesnt have the brightness and contrast as the plasma do, smaller viewing angle and more obviously cant be hung on the wall (well you can, really if you're really determined, but wont look good though) meaning uses more floor space than plasma

oh and before i forget, if you're susceptible to rainbows on dlp sets, then this might not be for you...now if you're gonna ask what do i mean about rainbows on DLP sets, i cant reall explain coz i havent seen one yet, but AFAIK, it is about seeing rainbows on your screen while watching which can be very annoying (for some people), so check first before you get one

hope this helps dude...sorry bout the long post

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You don't really have to worry about cables to the screen, it's a non issue, you just export the switching to another device, usually an AV amplifier, which will give you surround sound too. The choice is vast, the expense not too serious in relation to a plasma. You could switch video as scart, as s-video or component video according to your setup.