Another Nikon UWA thread...

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27989

Always wanted something wider that 17/18 which I have on my other lenses for some better indoor shots mainly.

The Tokina 11-16 has been on my list for a while, but I've also put on it the Nikon 10-24 and Sigma 8-16

I've been tempted a lot by the Tokina reputation and f2.8, but thinking about it I doubt I'd be shooting a lot at f2.8 anyway, and my SB900 should provide assistance if I need that.

I want wide capability and read a lot of good things about the Sigma 8-16, but above all it goes wide :)

Any views for use on my D7000 body?

Been looking at rep[lacing my 10-20 for a bit.

Optically, if you dont need f2.8 (I dont) then the 8-16 is by far the best, it beats canons new 70-200f2.8mkII in terms of resolution which is incredible.

The fly in the ointment is its bulbous front element (ala 14-24f2.8) which causes major filter issues.

2nd choice is the tokina 11-16.

Yes, oddly I've seem some seller add a 72mm filter to the Sigma and I thought it couldn't take any. I don't think I mind not having a filter, I'm quite careful, but are wary of the skies. Some stunning pictures with it on flickr and the 3mm does make a huge difference compared to the tokina.

Why are you looking to replace your 10-20?

BTW. I seem to have found a london shop that has all three in stock, might see if I can pop in...

On the 7D the sigma isnt producing the goods, corners are too soft for my requirements now, I'm selling A1 prints etc.

And I use Nd/ND grads etc quite a lot so that would be an issue with the 8-16.

So are you sticking with Canon 10-20 then? Or go Tokina?

Part of me is thinking to just stick with Nikon glass and go with the 10-24, but those extra 2mm, it is the reason I want to go wide. I wonder how many online crop out those corner then?

LOL I guess I've misunderstood something, are the soft corner on your 10-20 or on the 8-16? I thought you meant on the 8-16 but I think I may have misunderstood :)

Either way I got to try it out, but good to get some views :)

So are you sticking with Canon 10-20 then? Or go Tokina?

Part of me is thinking to just stick with Nikon glass and go with the 10-24, but those extra 2mm, it is the reason I want to go wide. I wonder how many online crop out those corner then?

I've used the Nikon 10-24- didn't think it was worthy of the price tag. Compared to the Canon it's much inferior.
I think the Tokina 11-16 is the best for Nikon DX if you use filters eg ND Grads, ND's etc.
Still not had a look at this 8-16 in any great detail. No filters is no use to me so not been in a rush. If you get one with good tolerances I've no doubt it would be sharp and it's very wide.

8mm is super ultra-wide even on a crop sensor.

I use a Tokina 12-24. I went for this instead of the Tokina 11-16 as (a) it was a tad cheaper at the time and (b) I considered the 12-24 range more useful. Unless you are working for an estate agents or like funky wide-angle portraits, I wouldn't worry too much about the constant aperture F2.8.

As an ultra-wide angle work-tool the Tokina 11-16 is very well regarded and often comes out on top in group tests. If I was buying again, I would definitely give it serious consideration.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom