Another Newbie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pemps, Nov 29, 2010.

1. pemps

pemps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I'm relatively new to AV so please be gentle.

I currently have a dvd/surround sound system (Sony DAV-SR1) at the time it got good reviews for an all in one system but scart connectivity is old hat now and I want to move on.

I'm on a budget due to a wife that isn't into 'boy's toys' and I've been browsing here and Richer Sounds website for a few weeks now. I think I'm going for a combination of SONY STRDH800 & JAMO A102 HCS5 although I've contemplated sticking with the speakers and sub woofer that came with the SR1.

I have a few of questions regarding this set up.

Will the speakers & sub that came with my SR1 be up to the job or should I just scrap them and go for the jamos?

I have a Virgin V+ box and a PS3 that will be connected via HDMI. Will the HDMI cable enable true 5.1 sound or should I also connect via optical cable?

I'll also want a cheap HDMI equipped DVD player. This will have to be cheap as the kids (4 & 7) will probably stick biscuits in it. If this connects via HDMI will this give true 5.1 sound or will this also have to connect via an optical cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Welcome to AVF :)

Most speakers that ship with an all-in-one home cinema system cannot be reused due to their low impedance rating (4ohms or less). The subwoofers are usually passive, unpowered models that cannot be reused in a separates based setup. This is one of the negatives of all-in-ones. You cannot really upgrade a single part, you have to sell them on as a whole.

Providing you buy an AV Receiver that can process audio over HDMI, then no additional digital audio cables are required. In the case of the PS3, you can hear the latest lossless HD audio soundtracks. Where the decoding of these audio formats depends on the PS3 model in question. The newest slim PS3 models can bitstream the lossless audio for external decoding by an AV Receiver. As HD audio decoding is almost standard now, you can be assured that as long as you avoid the bottom-of-the range kit, you should be okay. The V+ also outputs discrete multi-channel audio over HDMI so no digital audio cable is required.

The normally recommended partner for a Sony receiver is the Tannoy SFX speakers. Although the Jamos are often partnered with the likes of Onkyo, they are normally recommended to be partnered with a warmer receiver such as Denon or Yamaha. Try and get a demo of amp and speakers together so you are happy with the sound and you can appreciate where your money is going.

3. pemps

pemps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lost me at ohms:laugh:

Thanks for the help Dave. I'll try and get a demo of the setup I want before parting with cash. Now you've mentioned it I remember reading that sony receivers needed warmer speakers to compliment their 'sharper?' sound.